Where’s everyone this Remembrance Sunday

At my daughter's now co-ed public school. The school lost 257 (not so) old boys in Round 1; the first British casualty of the Somme was an old-boy and the whole the 1913-14 Sixth Form was wiped out. But in return the school claimed 3 x VCs. A fourth VC was obtained by a Maj Gen in round 2. An AR Arty bty will turn up and fire a salute, apparently.

Two years ago when Crash Minor left at the end of Upper Sixth, I attended the Valedictory Chapel Service, as the boys heartily rendered the school song, a classic example of muscular Christianity which is about 'feav'd swamps, dusty, sun-drenched roads and Service to Empire. Then, of course, Jerusalem. I had to restrain myself from blubbing; the same type of keen young gentlemen had sat in those same pews 100 years ago and sang the same song before they went off to enlist, generally as subalterns in county battalions, often with farm workers from their family's estate. And most died before their 20th birthdays. Quite a few of the masters served, too.

Last edited:
Do we know each other? Must have served in the same units at the same time...
Maybe when we were in vietnam on black ops with the UDT? Or during the falklands? I find it hard to talk about to be honest and I really should not say any more about it, or that time I took on an entire company of republican guard single handedly, mums the word though eh

Maybe when we were in vietnam on black ops with the UDT? Or during the falklands? I find it hard to talk about to be honest and I really should not say any more about it, or that time I took on an entire company of republican guard single handedly, mums the word though eh
(tapping nose). I remember you in Goose Green, but we shouldn't talk about it. I would have been on the balcony, too, but my back, you see? Don't like to talk about that, either. I'll wear my beret, badly, on Sunday, and a blazer with a regtl badge badly stitched on. And it anyone asked me about my medals, you'll remember our lines to take?
'err, can't talk about them. Official Secrets Act' or,
'err, there me mate's. He died so I thought I'd wear them to honour him, honest'.

Town parade with my AR Coy, as it will be my last in military uniform, then hoofing it straight back to my local RBL for an afternoon session with my friends

Sat at home watching it on the box in the dry with my feet up
In the wet and cold watching daughter at a rowing head.
However, the rowing club are commemorating the event

Autumn Head - Remembrance Sunday

November 5, 2018

We have often marked Remembrance Sunday as part of our Autumn Head, but this year our event falls on the poignant 100th anniversary of the end of World War One .

As a club, we want to join the UK rowing community with our blades of remembrance, remembering the seven club members we lost in the war. We will be setting up seven blades in front of our boathouse ahead of our event and taking a photograph to share with the rowing community.

Because of time and space restrictions, we do not have anywhere to safely display blades for every visiting club so ask that you do this at your own boathouse.

At 11am, we will hold a two minute silence and read the names of our fallen club members. This will take place in the midst of boating for division two so we ask that everyone attending our event, whether boating, in the trailer park, or in the clubhouse, falls silent for this mark of respect. Officials will ensure everyone is aware of the time.

We wish you all the very best for race day and hope that you will take the opportunity to race in honour of those from the rowing community who fought so we could enjoy our ongoing freedom.

We will remember them.

Service at 9.30am, then another at 11am. I won't be involved in the civic service this year as it is in the next town over. While it is always nice to be involved in the bigger event, I think this year I may have struck lucky as the weather forecast is pretty poor and the war memorial in my village is inside the church.
Oh ye of little faith :)

I'm somewhat inexplicably in the Derbyshire Dales for Armistice 100/UDI 53.
Any other Arrsers/ex-Zimbos doing some proper remembering just west of Sheffield?

I'm somewhat inexplicably in the Derbyshire Dales for Armistice 100/UDI 53.
Any other Arrsers/ex-Zimbos doing some proper remembering just west of Sheffield?
We normall get a good turn-out of Rhodies in Cape Town, obviously.
Couple of Selous, and one very large chap from 'THEM' spring to mind.

Couple of Selous, and one very large chap from 'THEM' spring to mind.
Cheers muchly.

If you could have them cleaned, wrapped, packed and shipped to EMA, DSA, MAN or LBA to arrive sharpish Sunday, I will organize pick up, refreshment and entertainment post arrival.

But I am fearing that geography and logistics are possibly not your strong suit.

Cheers muchly.

If you could have them cleaned, wrapped, packed and shipped to EMA, DSA, MAN or LBA to arrive sharpish Sunday, I will organize pick up, refreshment and entertainment post arrival.

But I am fearing that geography and logistics are possibly not your strong suit.
I will probably see them at the tea-and-cakes afterwards, and will pass on your kind regards.

So Padre CR has gone full dog collar and grounded my brethren in an alien, flat-top-mountained hellhole of a former Dutch colony.

One can only imagine the prayer meetings.

So Padre CR has gone full dog collar and grounded my brethren in an alien, flat-top-mountained hellhole of a former Dutch colony.

One can only imagine the prayer meetings.
The Mayor's Tea and Cakes at Civic Centre.
Always plenty of decent scran (blotting paper), and it is midway between the Cenotaph and the Castle, where some beers may be consumed.

At my daughter's now co-ed public school. The school lost 257 (not so) old boys in Round 1; the first British casualty of the Somme was an old-boy and the whole the 1913-14 Sixth Form was wiped out. But in return the school claimed 3 x VCs. A fourth VC was obtained by a Maj Gen in round 2. An AR Arty bty will turn up and fire a salute, apparently.

Two years ago when Crash Minor left at the end of Upper Sixth, I attended the Valedictory Chapel Service, as the boys heartily rendered the school song, a classic example of muscular Christianity which is about 'feav'd swamps, dusty, sun-drenched roads and Service to Empire. Then, of course, Jerusalem. I had to restrain myself from blubbing; the same type of keen young gentlemen had sat in those same pews 100 years ago and sang the same song before they went off to enlist, generally as subalterns in county battalions, often with farm workers from their family's estate. And most died before their 20th birthdays. Quite a few of the masters served, too.
Floreat Rugbeia!

My eldest's been chosen to plant a cross for a local who died so I'll go into town for the service and go home when they all go down to the church to bother god.