Where’s everyone this Remembrance Sunday

No sexy vicars with us, just my slightly overweight self.
The two services in our parish were not overly large as the RBL/Civil service is in the next town over. But a reasonable turnout was seen. What was rather moving was in one church we had various individuals who served in WW2, Korea, Aden, Kenya, Falklands & The first Gulf War. We also had a lady of 106 who remembered clearly the end of WW1 and who attended a service in the church on 17th Novembers 1918, the first Sunday after the armistice. It was nice to have this link.
Preaching on Remembrance Sunday is quite challenging as so many people hold different thoughts on the whole matter, but I think I managed it without being too simplistic or upsetting anyone.
If you don't upset anyone, it wasn't a good sermon. :-D

I changed my original plans for a Toronto service when I was invited to a different type of remembrance that was taking place in Oshawa. It was a parade put on by the Ontario Regiment (RCAC) that was different than any other service I’ve attended in the past. It was also the first time I’ve seen Leopard’s driving through the streets since I was in Germany. The variety of armour and military vehicles of all eras was beyond excellent and it was great seeing the UK contingent well turned out. The service at the parades end was very somber and fitting for marking the 100th.
The video is the best that I’ve come across so far, the camera work isn’t the greatest and unless you like shïte pipe bands, skip ahead to 4:10.

Last edited:
I (and the rest of the regiment) were ordered to attend a church service to remember the fallen, which was a bit light on the fallen and quite heavy on how great Jesus is.
Sadly, there are too many vicars who need to be reminded that they are the support act, not the main event.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
A huge turnout in Ypres town square for the ceremony. A bit later than preferred but better late than never. The bells in St. Georges (the "English church") were ringing at 11:00 until 11:15ish, I presume to celebrate the centenery, so the minutes silence and readings was held then. Afterwards to a couple of nice back street pubs to do some remembering and at 12:00hrs local a proper two minute silence held by me and my two companions with a toast of Pussers Gunpowder proof from the hip flask afterwards.
One of my colleagues (2nd Batt. Royal Fusiliers) had a surprise reunion with a former comrade from years back and we were later accosted by a group of four bikers from Antwerp who had travelled to Ypres for the commemorations and gave every impression of being genuinely glad and appreciative of what the British had done in 1914-1918 and insisted on making us drink beer with them. Suffered like buggery all day yesterday on the way home but it was worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh, and having seen his tweet, David Lammy's an arse.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
Tyne cot yesterday a lone piper followed by a lone voice reading For the Fallen and then people drifted away back through the headstones. Wonderfully simple.
View attachment 361320
Visited Tyne Cot on the Saturday as well as Plug Street and Essex Farm on the way to Ypres on the Sunday. It was my first time at a CWGC cemetery and I was just taken aback at the size of it.
It was a shame I didn't know you were going (only saw your post this morning) it would have been good to meet for a beer.

Unlike the Donald i am not put off by the weather. I drove up to Kanchanaburi through some of the worst weather I have seen in years here. Just after i got through one point the water cut off the road. A good job I decided to press on as it just got worse the next day.

Visited both Kanchanaburi and Chungkai cemeteries and attended the service on the 11th. Probably about 400 people of all nationalities turned up. Seemed to be mainly Aussies but there was a significant Dutch contingent and even a few Yanks, even though their bodies were repatriated.

Brit ambassador decided not to attend- the woman laying the wreath in the black dress is the Deputy Head of Mission. This October was the 75th Anniversary of the Railway- the BBC didn't report anything, but the Japanese did.
45779637_2143837489191313_8373890091969413120_n (Small).jpg
45803811_2143837509191311_1873354096157655040_n (Small).jpg
45868686_2143837422524653_9091464464389111808_n (Small).jpg
SAM_0042 (Small).JPG
SAM_0043 (Small).JPG
SAM_0044 (Small).JPG

Attachments

Sadly, there are too many vicars who need to be reminded that they are the support act, not the main event.
I'd rather they had bugger all to do with it. They hijack almost every event I've been too.

So what are you proposing? A 100% secular act of remembrance, no padre, no hymns no church facilities? I’m curious as to how this would be received.
I've done an almost secular service in the past at a memorial. There was one short prayer. It seemed to go well.

I've done an almost secular service in the past at a memorial. There was one short prayer. It seemed to go well.
I have no doubt that it went well. Personally, a remembrance service outside the Christian context is just navel gazing. I’m not arguing with you, I’m just saying that for me it’s a pointless exercise or an excuse to have a few beers after.

I have no doubt that it went well. Personally, a remembrance service outside the Christian context is just navel gazing. I’m not arguing with you, I’m just saying that for me it’s a pointless exercise or an excuse to have a few beers after.
I'm fairly certain that lots of people aren't Christian so they don't need to hear about Jesus Christ on Remembrance day. People are used to Churches because generally thats where a service will be held.

I'm fairly certain that lots of people aren't Christian so they don't need to hear about Jesus Christ on Remembrance day. People are used to Churches because generally thats where a service will be held.
Fair enough but a ceremony that specifically excludes Jesus Christ should be held in a hangar or a gym, not in a church.

Fair enough but a ceremony that specifically excludes Jesus Christ should be held in a hangar or a gym, not in a church.
I wasn't suggesting holding them in a church.