Where’s everyone this Remembrance Sunday

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I hope it’s good or it’s the last centenary of the end of the conflict in WW1 I’m turning up for.
Where’s everyone going?

Service at 9.30am, then another at 11am. I won't be involved in the civic service this year as it is in the next town over. While it is always nice to be involved in the bigger event, I think this year I may have struck lucky as the weather forecast is pretty poor and the war memorial in my village is inside the church.

corby

Old-Salt
I'm travelling to Berlin on Sunday, family arranged do at the request of younger Antipedian members who are over and didn't realise the date.
The question is, do I wear a poppy or not?

I will be at Queens Park in Toronto. The CF will be parading a 500 strong contingent from Union Station up to QP to mark the end of the war following the same route as some returning regiments did in 1918. It will be followed by a service.

I hope it’s good or it’s the last centenary of the end of the conflict in WW1 I’m turning up for.
Where’s everyone going?
Wasn't you banging your gums on another thread about no one was going to pressure you into wearing a poppy?

White poppy has a fairly good history. Originally set up by war widows who weren’t impressed with this land fit for heroes. Or Earl Haig. The colour white was (and I’m not sure about this) in remembrance of those who had sacrificed everything, therefore ‘bled white’.
Taken over by the peace pledge union before ww2.

My last place of employment the email arrived about when we could wear the poppy. Email gets binned, I was rarely there in daylight hours, except for meetings, but I’m there when a couple of senior management do a tour.
I get introduced, looked at.
‘No poppy, skid’
‘Whole idea of the Great War for civilisation. My grandparents fought for the right to wear one or not’.
That’s me marked as a troublemaker. My PA sticks a cup of coffee on my desk.

‘Skid, you’ve a shamrock poppy on your barbour’. It sits there on the collar strap and spends most of the year tucked up out of the way.

Last edited:
Be at the local Cenotaph.
Mrs OS is going to be standing by with my big feck off fishing umbrella.

(Couple of old fellas in wheelchairs, it'll keep the rain off them.)

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
At the Menin Gate in Ypres. Leaving for the trip tomorrow morning with a couple of blokes from work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As last year we will not be joining the great and the good at CWGC Vevey - I go on Cambrai Day to pay respects to an RTC officer buried there .
Instead, again as last year, I have been invited to represent HM Forces at the parade in Pontarlier, just over the border from us, where a lone British Private from the Staffords is buried in the French war cemetery .
This year there will be a German delegation for the first time.
In addition to our poppies, we will also be wearing a blue cornflower as is the French tradition.
Afterwards it will be back to M le Maire's reception, enlivened by the serving of the local aperitif - Absinthe !!
SWMBO will be driving home.

Oosterbeek or Groesbeek CWGCs. Yes it's the wrong war, but I live over here, a considerable distance from the WW1 battlefields but right on top of WW2. During Spring ground-work in the local park, a WW2 German field-grave was found. Children had been playing over him for more than seven decades.

Gramps

Old-Salt
Kit Reviewer
Local village just outside Edinburgh, first one I have managed to get to since I put away the ginger drinking suit 3 years ago.

I'm travelling to Berlin on Sunday, family arranged do at the request of younger Antipedian members who are over and didn't realise the date.
The question is, do I wear a poppy or not?
Plenty of war graves in and around Berlin. Russian, German, victims of the Holocaust or the one below.

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2169026/berlin-1939-1945-war-cemetery

There was, of course always a ceremony here every Remembrance Sunday, when we occupied that particular part of Berlin and I'm sure there will be (a much smaller one) still today.
Also the majority of graves are for downed aircrew (obviously) and some of the intered are from down under, so your colonial relatives will be catered for as well.

For myself, I will be at Slaw juniors football match, like most Sundays. There will of couse be a moments silence at the apprpriate time.

Edited to add. As far as I am aware, the poppy is a symbol to remember ALL the dead of both World Wars and subsequent conflicts. Therefore Berlin would seem to be a very appropriate place to wear one this weekend.

Last edited: