Whence came this traveler?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by wm1965, Jun 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Luckily, I have the time (2w), inclination and money to go to an odd place.

Where shall I go?

First thoughts:
    Boys trip to Georgia (wine and war!);
    Me/friend to Paraguay
    Me/friend to [North Eastern/Gold mines of] Congo
    Me/friend to Namibia
    Me/friend to Mongolia
    Me/friend to Greenland
    Me/friend to North Korea (if times suit with the official ones)
  2. Are you a traveller or a freedom fighter?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. You have a perchant for 3rd wo.....oops, Developing Countries?

4. Go to Mongolia, the local women are gagging for it.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Mmmm lush.
  6. Great place and lots to see! Head to Lloma Plata and visit the National Park in the Chaco. Not that much wildlife, but you will spot the odd armadillo. Foz the Iguazu on the border with Brasil is impressive.

Congo is a nightmare to travel in, but it's doable. I recommend the Nyaragongo, you can walk up there and spend the night at the summit. I'd never stayed on an active vulcano before and enjoyed looking into the lava lake during the night and see it expand and shrink again. A visit to the National Park des Vulcanos is great as well. Apart from "visiting" the gorilla's you could ask a tour guide to arrange a trip to see other wildlife, like elephants (small ones).

Easiest access is flying to Kigali and cross the border near Ruhengeri. You need a tour company to host you during your stay, but you can arrange this at the border when you show up. At least, that worked for me. Prepare for corruption, but don't pay. The permit de sejour for North Kivu costs about 20 dollars and you can add South Kivu to it yourself once you're inside.

I wouldn't recommend this if you're going with 1 friend. Best to do this in a group because you'll have a driver and two guides regardless. I thought it better to "share" the prying eyes with 15 other people than just me. You'll have slightly more liberty to walk off a bit. Although North Korea is fascinating I also thought it was a claustrophobic trip where we were dragged to official and unofficial crap from morning till evening. You cannot leave your hotel without a guide and there's little entertainment inside the hotels other than North Korean karaoke. May be book a trip to China and visit NK for a week and then back to China again to enjoy your freedom :)
  7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

If you are looking for a Third World country with a recent history of war, violence and civil unrest plus a population that can't speak English then why not try Belfast.
    • Like Like x 10
  8. Or Bradford.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. What a about magaluf?

I was going to suggest taking a canal trip from ft William to the other side of scotland. A magical journey and many places en route to go stravaiging. Plus as a water gypsy, you will be an honorary traveller.
  10. " Is there anybody there " said the Traveller.
    Knocking on the moonlit door,
    And his horse in the silence champed the grasses
    on the forests ferny floor,
    and a bird flew up out of the turret
    Above the Travellers head.
    And again he smote upon the door a second time
    " Is there anybody there ?"
    But no one descended to the Traveller.....

So he said " **** it I,ll head for home."
    And the Border Force Agent said quietly to himself,
    " Thats the way to do it "
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Namibia is excellent. You can camp, but I'd suggest staying in decent lodges as the food and environment is amazing.
  12. My tip would be Wath on Dearne, the locals are exotic enough, they speak a gibber jabber which they themselves don't understand.
    Their women folk are easy, i.e. looking for a ticket out or bored trying to understand the jibber jabber. They've never had a war, not in living memory, but then they have yet to declare peace.

Extreme tourism on the cheap really.

As a two centre holiday Easington colliery would be a good second destination. The locals there are well fucked up!
  13. Dhofar - Oman. Nice this time of year with the monsoon. You can take a tour onto the plateau to see some grass.
  14. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Try Zanzibar. The history and beauty of the country is outstanding. There is plenty to see and do and it is quite a safe place to visit. It takes an age to get there but would be worth it.