When you really know you're past it

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by rickshaw, Jun 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It comes to all of us. When it comes varies. How it comes can be life changing. By "it" I mean when you realise that you're past it. In military terms, it wasn't when I couldn't be first home in a run. It wasn't even when the Service Dress was more than usually snug on Remembrance Sunday. For me it was when I turned to my RSM and said "well, what d'you reckon, RSM?" and he simply replied "I don't know Sir, you've been in longer than me". That was the last security blanket ripped away.
    Previously I'd grumbled about setting, marking and ripping apart junior officers' essays ("Dear God, is it too much to ask for a beginning, a middle and an end, expressed coherently with even an approximation of spelling and the conventions of grammar?"). Previously I'd been startled to realise that I'd been soldiering longer than some of my soldiers had been alive ("I was soldiering in Baghdad whilst you were in dad's bag. Hur, hur, hur...")
    Now, however, there was the terrifying thought that the oracle, the repository of regimental knowledge and of the collective sagacity of the WOs' and Sgts' Mess deferred to me as an "old sweat". On the other hand, the RSM might just have been hacked off with me and decided to let me sink by myself......
    When did your military moment come?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Generally chatting in a bunch and you mention an OP or big exercise (in my case it was some remark about the Falklands) and at least one of the group looks at you and says "I wasn't even born when that happened" has a remarkable affect on your morale.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I watched with horror as the nasty bean counters began to think that they were important. Then with disgust as we made it so but I knew I was past it when I heard some horrible oikess tell a one star just what he could and couldn't do. Thankfully the said one star was able to out manouevre her .... but it won't be long!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Don't know about being passed it in a military sense, to me the worst bit is when you are really passed it and have to stir your cuppa in 2 goes having a rest in the middle, make the best of what you have lads at what ever age. As for me its time to finish stirring my tea, I think?

• Like Like x 4
  5. I find just holding it gives that "Shaken not shtirred" effect.
    Puts a head on the first few pints as well...

• Like Like x 1
  6. This ^. I nearly cried the first time the CSM handed me a P file for a new recruit to interview and he was born after I joined.

7. When your regi number started with 245

• Like Like x 2
  8. +1.

9. Talking to my driver and the conversation got around to what we'd do if we won the lottery. He said at least he'd have time to enjoy it whereas I would probably not be able to get the best out of it with my time left. Wouldn't have minded but I was in my early 40s at the time.
    Or especially the time one of my corporals came up and asked for my daughter's hand in marriage..........

• Like Like x 1
  10. When you realise that a person who joined up on the day after you finished would now be drawing his pension.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Try 2400 :)

• Like Like x 4
  12. Talking to a CSM who looked vaguely familiar.

"Have we worked together before CSM?"

"No Sir, but you were posted to Germany with my Dad"

And this was a good few years back itself, the CSM in question is now an LE Officer.

Yes I am feeling my age. No I'm not going to pack it in just yet. Oh and 245, pah! try 243*****.

• Like Like x 5
  13. 243***** You were already a sprog when I transferred in Reb - at least my number was well and truly dry 241***** !!!

And I've almost been out longer than I served in Mans Service !!!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Heh heh....
    Kids eh...
    2372****

• Like Like x 7