When you are warned for Ops question

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by 3_Peco_Seconds_GO, Aug 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When you have been warned for ops, what stage do they tell you where you are going and what you will be doing ?

Or do you just turn up at Bastion and they decide where they need you ?

2. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Please dont tell me you dont understand the implications and required training?????

3. Im a little pished so if ive not understood what your getting at I do appologise ..

I understand once i've done Chilwell I have so x months pre deployment training and x month in theatre, I was told which tour im on and who I will be with but that was it, As it will be my first tour im just curious when I will be told the details .. here(in the UK) or on arrival ..

4. msr

msr LE

What post did you volunteer for?

5. Not a silly question, but it depends on a number of things - the type of unit you are deploying with, if the unit has one role or a few varied ones, date of deployment as well as how things are changing out in theatre as you undertake your MST.

You should find out during your MST, although if my (Regular) unit is anything to go by it'll be fairly late on (deploy October, the final-ish ORBAT was released start of August).

Regards,

T

6. MSR, as part of a FST.

Thank Timble ...

7. msr

msr LE

And so you can answer your question...

8. You should know which Gunner Regt you will be apart of already so if not ask your CoC. You CoC should also know what role you will be lined up for in the FST (I guess as TA you will probably be a Dvr/Sig - are you L2 OPA Qual'd?), however this may well change during PDT, depending on how you (and others) perform and what couses and quals you have or gain during this time.

As to where you are going in country you will probably not know until well into PDT (particularly as an FST could be attached to a number of different units) and indeed it can change any time up to deployment and indeed you could move around even once you have arrived/been there for a while.

I would advise you to relax about such matters and concentrate on your personal skills and integrating with your team, as locations and detailed roles can and do change - don't worry about things over which you have no or little control.

Oh and ignore anything MSR says unless it's about IT.

9. Supposedly all change with GCM, units are to be plotted for deployment 5 years ahead, 10% of the deployed ORBAT are to be scaled for TA. The numbers taken from volunteers from the TA are to be scaled at 2:1 (to allow for drop outs, injuries, etc). When folks volunteer there will be a period of training within unit for one year, then embedded within the regular unit for 6-months pre-deployment training the a 6-month tour. So you would be looking at 12months out from your job to do a tour.

10. msr

msr LE

Because clearly I know nothing about FSTs :roll:

11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

That won't add up as when you come back from your tour you will need to take your POTL and accumulated annual leave within your mobilised service period. Trust me, we went through this with 2 Rifles when someone did the maths wrong and mobilised us for 4 months Pre-deployment and which was still too early for a full tour. The battalion ended up having to ask us all to sign extensions of enlistments which only a few of us did. The rest went home for demob about a month before they would have.

12. I was told the area I am going to back in Feb, but won't know the exact PB until I get out there in a couple of weeks. I'm a level 2 for one of the FSTs.

13. We join our Battalion in November, deploy some time in March/ April and come back to the UK in September. Not quite the '6 months' we were told about a couple of years back when I re-enlisted but; I'd rather be well trained and spend more time away from my family than come home early for the wrong reasons due to lack of key skills/ integration with the unit.

As far as how we will be fitted in 'in theatre', as I understand it, we won't know until well into the pre-deployment training. We have an idea where we are going at the moment but that's about it and subject to change (of course). (Infantry)

14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

A lot of that is because of the sensible application of a quality filter, and the tendancy for the Statement of Requirements from the receiving unit being more full of holes than a very holey thing until the very last minute.

In short, names on paper are of very little value at the moment. They will need to see who is really up to scratch and then start putting names to jobs once they have had the chance to see who can be used where.

No point having Pte Bloggs down for No1 rifleman if he is a 55 year old rejoiner still desperately dreaming of his glory days in the Fulda gap as he wheezes his way round a 14 minute PFT.

15. Correct. All you and your brethren know about is cold war OP parties, a couple of IN missions and if you're lucky you'll get your hands on some binos.