• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

When we were soldiers

Started today

Activity: short walk
Duration: 30 mins
How did I feel: burning with pain from start to finish despite being dosed up with pain killers, but the pain was to be expected and I enjoyed it.

Wednesday 25th
Same as yesterday. In a bizarre it was a bit easier today as the pain got to such high levels now and then that I just felt a hot burning all over............which was nice hahahaha

I'm due some new adapted footwear 'fliddy shoes in old slang' so it should help my feet do what my brain thinks they should be doing :)

Thursday 26th
Usual route, I took stronger pain killers today and the pain was far less :)
With less pain I could think about other things than just feeling pain, I amused myself by wondering what others thought of me when they saw me as I can't walk in a straight line very well and probably look drunk or hungover hahahahaha.
Enjoyed the walk today :)

Friday 27th. Nothing.

Saturday 28th one hour gentle walk.
How did I feel: I have more pain in my lower back when walking slowly.

Sunday 29th. Only exercise wasa trip to Waitrose!

Monday 30th 30 min walk, fifteen minutes up a steep hill, fifteen minutes back down.
How did I feel: good, listened to a Sherlock Holmes episode on my phone while walking.

Last edited:
Excellent Idea. - I'll back date mine to the 16th.

Date - Monday 16th, April
Activity - 5x5 Day 1, Week 6 - Squats 57.kg, OHP 37.5kg, DL 70kg
Duration - 1 hour
How did you feel? - Excellent

Date - Wednesday 18th, April
Activity - 5x5 Day 2, Week 6 - Squats 60kg, Bench Press 40kg, Barbell Row 50kg
Duration - 1 hour
How did you feel? - Very Good

Date - Friday 20th, April - 00:31
Activity - Call Out - Lost Walker - covered 7.5km, up PyF from Pont ar Daf, across to Cribyn, The Gap and down the Roman Road until pick up - misper found safe further down the Neuadd. Home just after 04:00
Duration - 3.5hrs approx
How did you feel - Bit tired

Date - Friday 20th, April
Activity - 5x5 Day 3, Week 6 - Squats 62.5kg, OHP 40kg, DL 75kg
Duration - 1 hour
How did you feel - Superb given the busy morning- pb'd the OHP.

Date - Saturday 21st, April
Activity - Black Dragon Challenge checkpoint manning and sweep - around 25km. Tab to CP1 Crug Mawr, sweep through to Waun Fach, then to Pengenffordd.
Duration - All day
How did you feel - Alright.

Date - Monday 24th, April
Activity - 5x5 Day 1, Week 7 - Squats 65kg, BP 42.5kg, BB Row 52.5kg
Duration - 1 hour
How did you feel - Very good - getting closer to bodyweight Squats

Date - Wednesday 25th April, 12:10
Activity - Call Out - Emergency Shelter seen on North Face of Pen Y Fan, 120m from top. Vehicles to Cym Gwdi, walk in until around 150m from last pitch, traverse then climb up to investigate. 63mph wind so probably blown in. No cas. Collect shelter, walk out. 8km in & out, approx 600m climb.
Duration - 3 hours
How did you feel - Shagged, my least favourite way up. Was with two other fitter people, breathing out of my hoop. All good in the long run I suppose.

Me climbing to get orange shelter above.

Date - Wednesday 25th, April - 19:30
Activity - BMRT Training - Crag rescue variations, technical.
Duration - 2 hours
How did you feel - Good, love the technical stuff.

Was meant to be a gym day but the call out put paid to that - tomorrow instead.

Date - Thursday 26th, April
Activity - 5x5 Day 2, Week 7 - Squats 67.5kg, OHP 42.5kg, DL 80kg
Duration - 1 hour
How did you feel - Bit shit - Squats were OK, DLs fine, failed on the OHP. I expected to as I was mega surprised I managed 40kg last time but it's still disappointing - I'll repeat the same weight again next time round and if I fail again, there will be a deload.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Date: 23/04/2018
Activity: General gym stuff
Duration: 45 mins mixed cardio / 30 mins resistance
How did you feel?: Bit grim; at the arse end of a chest infection.

Date: 24/04/2018
Activity: Cycle and swim
Duration: 1.5 hrs cycle / 1 hr swim
How did you feel?: Better. Chest lurgy on the way out.

Date: 25/04/2018
Activity: 10k run.
Duration: 50 mins.
How did you feel?: Ok.

Date: 26/04/2018
Activity: Rest day
Duration: N/A
How did you feel?: Pretty chilled.

Date: 27/04/2018
Activity: 5k run and 30 mins swimming.
Duration: Around an hour.
How did you feel?: Pretty good as the chest lurgy has gone.

Last edited:

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Big cheers to Mel G for the title. I reference it because it's safe to say that when we were soldiers was probably the fittest most of us had ever been and will ever be.

A decent diet before PAYD raped us all, forced fitness kept us trim and a generally active lifestyle plus mad shagging meant most of our calories were dealt with. Less if you were a Marine and thus the one being shagged.

I spouted about fitness ages ago somewhere and basically said we should never stop trying to keep fit and always think of how the young and keen soldier of yesteryear would look at us now and call us civvie biffs.

I used to run loads after leaving the army, and kept it up for about four years. Job, family, other commitments... Those bastards all chisel away at my spare time and I've not ran in donkeys now, and have put on some ration survival fat which whilst there's a Cold War looming, is probably not to my benefit right now.

Thing is, I think there are a few of us that could probably do with pulling our socks up and making more of an effort.

As such, I thought we could look to get a little bit of fitness back into our lives, where relevant and it helps to be part of a group.

If you're interested, here's what I propose:

Op Name: Certain Death
Intent: Get fitter, be happier, keep Death disappointed.
When: 23rd April until 23rd May
Objective: Record at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day, sex not included (you don't get much calorie burn or CV work from lying on your back... Or front...)

So dead simple. If you want to do it, take a post and each day from Monday onwards, when you do your exercise be it a run, swim, walk, cycle, etc, just record it by editing your original post thus:

Date
Activity
Duration
How did you feel?

At the end it should read like a training diary.

For apps that track, I use Strava. Gives great feedback on your pace, time, etc.

For entertainment, I use Zombies, Run! which I highly recommend you check out.

Remember though, can be anything, even if it's 30 minutes of circuits in the garden or 30 minutes of running up and down the stairs. Nobody gets judged, nobody gets ridiculed.

The key point is, we do it and reap the benefits.

Any takers?

EDITED: I've gone through and pruned the thread - your posts are hidden, not deleted. Everyone who wants to take part in this now should have their 'diary' at the top of the thread, so it's not hidden in among the chat.

I can't see a better way to organise the thread, so if you can, try and chat in your own post? If anyone wants to join, start a post and get your diary running. If too much chat fills up, I'll prune it again to keep the diaries at the top.

Cheers!

=========
My diary

Date: 23rd April
Activity: Lots and lots of walking and a 3 mile run
Duration: ****, knew I forgot something.
How did you feel?: For the walk, it was Edinburgh, those bastard hills. The run was pure guilt, as I'd gone to Brewdog with a mate and ate and drank quite a bit. So the run was a wobbly one, but it was at night and it felt great, with cool fresh air and that feeling of being outdoors reminding me of my first time on exercise in Pirbright. Ah the days!

Date: 24th April
Activity: Struggled today just for time as I've got a ton of work to do, but I've done a few bursts up and down the stairs with high knees and I've tried for the sit-ups and press-ups
Duration: Combined, about fifteen minutes
How did you feel?: Put it this way, if this was the fitness test, I'd be hoping my neighbour was bluffing the counting.....
Date: 25th April
Activity: Jog around the neighbourhood
Duration: 40min
How did you feel?: Forgot how much I just enjoy being outside and keeping active. Weather was shit but hey-ho. I also feel much better for easing back into it all rather than doing my usual which is run for miles on day one and hobble myself for three weeks.

Note: I've also started cutting out the shit I eat. Eating much less but eating healthier. I also discovered the joys of 'oat milk' which is just oats and water with a tiny pinch of salt. It's maybe an acquired taste but at 50cal per 100ml and being oats, it's actually good for you.

I'm really pleased to see some of the diaries growing. It all makes a difference.

Not seeing my "Diary" anywhere.
1headscratch.gif

The only "activity" I can record for the past two days is 4,300 & 4,990 steps on my Gearfit, as I've been travelling/flying home.

Serious work starts tomorrow.

10k every other day
Painful knees (been that way for 25 years).
2 indoor climbing sessions. Hate bouldering so 17mtr top rope and 23mtr lead climbing.

Try it, it’s one of the few places where everyone helps each other.

All I've done today is eat a mahoosive bar of chocolate. And I've got half of a decadent cheesecake (serves six apparently) lined up for this evening. I'm meant to be doing the low carb thing, but sod it...

I've two whole days of rest; then a two mile easy run.

But then the Newport marathon on Sunday.

All I've done today is eat a mahoosive bar of chocolate. And I've got half of a decadent cheesecake (serves six apparently) lined up for this evening. I'm meant to be doing the low carb thing, but sod it...

I've two whole days of rest; then a two mile easy run.

But then the Newport marathon on Sunday.
Best of luck. Hydrate and DON'T kick the ass out of it.

@MrBane

Great idea mate - however, if we keep editing and adding, we'll reach critical mass/member input pretty quickly and unless new posts are made, the thread will slide away.

Should we 'quote' our last post instead? This would keep it refreshing to the top of the forum.

Tried harder..
on my "Hill"
53:37
got a second wind at 35:00 ish and increased the incline a bit got a proper sweat and aching hips and sore stumps

edited to add pic
You really don't have to beast yourself, you know?

Most endurance (really anything that lasts over a few minutes) is aerobic heavy, which means you get the most bang from your buck by targetting the aerobic system.

This effectively means keeping it low level; easy running or cycling, or whatever it is you do, and building volume (the length of time you do it). I wish I knew this years ago; it really works. My fastest 5k was ran after a long period of slow-running training, while training for an ultra marathon. One weekend I got hacked off with it and decided to do a Parkrun and was amazed to find myself the lead runner for a while (I finished fourth), from being a mid-pack runner.

Your aerobic system is your engine; build a big one. High intensity stuff is like a turbo. You don't want to add a turbo to a small engine.

There is a place for high intensity workouts, but not too regularly.

I think I've impaired my aerobic system by racing too much in recent months (too much fast stuff), which isn't going to help me on my marathon on Sunday. I'd've been better off easing back and running more slower miles, by volume, than the shorter faster stuff I've been doing.

Are old birds allowed to join in? I've been sitting on my arse since February with an injury and put on 3kg as been eating whatever I want and not what I usually eat when training. Here's my input so far. Age 59. Start weight 56kg.

Date 21 Apr
Activity parkrun
Duration 28:14
How did you feel? good to be running, first run in weeks post injury, chuffed to be 2nd in age group as wasn't pushing it (pre injury was doing it in 24m)

Date 22 Apr
Activity volunteer at VLM finish line
Duration met up at 07h30, got off duty at 18h00, then walked to UJC
How did you feel? great, hard work humping boxes of goodie bags but no aches and pains the next day

Date 23 Apr
Activity visit to Chartwell
Duration spent 4 hrs wandering around the house and grounds with a 30 min break for coffee and fruitcake
How did you feel? had a nap when we got home, too much fresh air!

Date 24 Apr
Activity travelling so humping my case up and down stairs
Duration 7hr trip
How did you feel? hot and bothered!

Date 25 Apr
Activity 6.07 km run
Duration 37:24
How did you feel? injury still twinging (right arterial hamstring)

Date 26 Apr
Activity housework
Duration 3 hrs
How did you feel? bloody knackered!

Date 27 Apr 18
Activity brisk 30 min walk then 1hr yoga for hips and psoas this evening
Duration see above
How did you feel? lost so much flexibility, must do this more regularly

Date 28 Apr 18
Activity 16km slow run
Duration 1h47m
How did you feel? stiff until 11km, right leg playing up, from 11km to end felt great, had to have a nap in afternoon

Date 29 Apr 18
Activity yoga (hips, psoas, achilles), foam rolling
Duration 1h
How did you feel? left hamstring very tight (it cramped badly previous evening)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I'm still racking my head how to do this.

One thing I am going to do is on Sunday night, do a summary of everyone's efforts. I'm going to look at the Wiki or something. Still scratching my head over it.

Maybe with the weekly summary, the thread just basically starts again with the summary and new entries added.. I'll play about a bit.
Is a Monday weigh in a decent weekly interval.

I hot dated it last Night and headed into five pints of aspills cider territory. Just on the edge of my tolerance levels:mrgreen: got home and walked the hound so not all lost. Obviously 5 minutes of bashing away on a bird would have knocked off some calories but it was a first date

Are old birds allowed to join in? I've been sitting on my arse since February with an injury and put on 3kg as been eating whatever I want and not what I usually eat when training. Here's my input so far. Age 59. Start weight 56kg.

Date 21 Apr
Activity parkrun
Duration 28:14
How did you feel? good to be running, first run in weeks post injury, chuffed to be 2nd in age group as wasn't pushing it (pre injury was doing it in 24m)

Date 22 Apr
Activity volunteer at VLM finish line
Duration met up at 07h30, got off duty at 18h00, then walked to UJC
How did you feel? great, hard work humping boxes of goodie bags but no aches and pains the next day

Date 23 Apr
Activity visit to Chartwell
Duration spent 4 hrs wandering around the house and grounds with a 30 min break for coffee and fruitcake
How did you feel? had a nap when we got home, too much fresh air!

Date 24 Apr
Activity travelling so humping my case up and down stairs
Duration 7hr trip
How did you feel? hot and bothered!

Date 25 Apr
Activity 6.07 km run
Duration 37:24
How did you feel? injury still twinging (right arterial hamstring)

Date 26 Apr
Activity housework
Duration 3 hrs
How did you feel? bloody knackered!

Old ?? 62yo mind of a 21 yo

Most endurance (really anything that lasts over a few minutes) is aerobic heavy, which means you get the most bang from your buck by targetting the aerobic system.

This effectively means keeping it low level; easy running or cycling, or whatever it is you do, and building volume (the length of time you do it). I wish I knew this years ago; it really works. My fastest 5k was ran after a long period of slow-running training, while training for an ultra marathon. One weekend I got hacked off with it and decided to do a Parkrun and was amazed to find myself the lead runner for a while (I finished fourth), from being a mid-pack runner.

Your aerobic system is your engine; build a big one. High intensity stuff is like a turbo. You don't want to add a turbo to a small engine.

I think I've impaired my aerobic system by racing too much in recent months (too much fast stuff), which isn't going to help me on my marathon on Sunday. I'd've been better off easing back and running more slower miles, by volume, than the shorter faster stuff I've been doing.
Not beating just seemed to have got into my stride and the tortoise wouldn't let me off the treadmill !!!!

Fully agree - I like to have a nice long plod when I run (trails) but when we're busy with call outs, it can often be straight into 30-45 mins of flat out effort with my heart rate close to max trying to get somewhere fast, uphill, carrying stuff. I then need decent recovery time and the long slow plods are the first thing to be sacrificed. It really affects things. The gym work stays as I do also need the strength elements to balance out things.

Hopefully get a run this weekend.

Skipped running today and spent the day indoor climbing, for cardio 17mtr wall reps top roping, 6 times then swap so you get about 12 mins between reps when belaying.

Then 2x 23mtr lead climbing multiple over hangs, lead climbing is lactic acids friend. Me and my mate spend 10 mins between each ascent for safety reasons.

Then repeat, after than half hour cool down acting like kids bouldering.

Date 27 4 18
Activity treadmill run 180 method
Duration 45 mins
How did you feel? Easy and hip stretches have helped already
Do you have any more info about these hip stretches? I find I can stretch one leg much better than the other and it seems to to stem from a slightly different amount of range in one hip over the other. Not much, but noticeable when stretching on cool down.

Do you have any more info about these hip stretches? I find I can stretch one leg much better than the other and it seems to to stem from a slightly different amount of range in one hip over the other. Not much, but noticeable when stretching on cool down.
One leg is always slightly more flexible

Google pigeon pose yoga. There are a number of variations, but all work to strengthen, stretch and mobilise the hip joint, hip flexors and connective tissue.