When We Were Soldiers: Week Two

Date: 6 May
Activity: 180 method 35 min jog/walk (25min was just too short)
Duration: 45 min incl 5 min warm up/down at each end.
Feel: Cruise, but stop-starting is frustrating.
Polar Flow Running Index 41 which is quite good.

Date: 10 May (Had to miss 8 May...Real life)
Activity: 180 method 35 min jog/walk.
Feel: Cruise, but still frustrating.
Polar Flow Running Index 39 which is not as good.

The time taken to hit the target HR was considerably longer on the first cycle today, but then resorted to what I have come to expect from the last two. I am getting better at jogging slowly and thereby prolonging the amount of time spent jogging rather than walking. The average speed for the three measured Kms is about the same and the pattern is consistent. Time will tell.

Date: 12 May.
Activity: same again.
Duration: same.
Feel: Seems very easy.
Polar Flow Running Index 40.

Date: 14 May
Activity: Same
Duration: Same
Feel: it is getting easier and easier. It took a lot longer to hit the upper HR for the first time. That could be due to aerobic improvement or getting better at slow jogging. Maybe a bit of both. I have noticed though that I have magically lost a kilo in the last week, without any real changes made.
Polar Flow Running Index 39.

Date: 16 May.
Activity: 180 method 37 min jog/walk. (Added a little triangle around a copse)
Duration: 47 min incl 5 min warm up/down at each end.
Feel: Cruise.

Date: 18 May.
Activity: 180 method 30 min jog/walk. (A bit shorter today after a mess dinner yesterday evening)
Duration: 40 min incl 5 min warm up/down at each end.
Feel: A little less cruisey.
Hit the upper HR much earlier in the first cycle today, probably due to the toxins still coursing around my veins from yesterday evening.

Date: 20 May.
Activity: 180 method 50 min jog/walk. (A bit longer today because the weather was nice and I felt like it)
Duration: 60 min incl 5 min warm up/down at each end.
Feel: Very comfortable.
Polar Flow Running Index 38.
Hit the upper HR about the same time as the last run during the first cycle. It was a little warmer today (24 Deg C). I am quite frustrated as each of the measured Km was slower and the trend is worsening run by run. I have been keeping a spreadsheet and my performance is getting worse, not better. On the upside, it feels easier every time. Yin and yang.

Date: 23 May.
Polar Flow Running Index 41.
Much better than the last 4 runs and a little better than when I first started (Almost 3 weeks ago), but not by a lot. The running part of the first cycle was significantly longer before i needed to slow down, which I suppose is the eventual point.

Date: 26 May.
Feel: A little uncomfortable as it was already 23 deg C at 0915 when I set off..
Timings for the three measured Km roughly the same as last time.

The time taken to hit the target HR was considerably longer on the first cycle today, but then resorted to what I have come to expect from the last two. I am getting better at jogging slowly and thereby prolonging the amount of time spent jogging rather than walking. The average speed for the three measured Kms is about the same and the pattern is consistent. Time will tell.

Feel: it is getting easier and easier. It took a lot longer to hit the upper HR for the first time. That could be due to aerobic improvement or getting better at slow jogging. Maybe a bit of both. I have noticed though that I have magically lost a kilo in the last week, without any real changes made.

Activity: 180 method 30 min jog/walk. (A bit shorter today after a mess dinner yesterday evening)
Hit the upper HR much earlier in the first cycle today, probably due to the toxins still coursing around my veins from yesterday evening.

Activity: 180 method 50 min jog/walk. (A bit longer today because the weather was nice and I felt like it)
Hit the upper HR about the same time as the last run during the first cycle. It was a little warmer today (24 Deg C). I am quite frustrated as each of the measured Km was slower and the trend is worsening run by run. I have been keeping a spreadsheet and my performance is getting worse, not better. On the upside, it feels easier every time. Yin and yang.

Much better than the last 4 runs and a little better than when I first started (Almost 3 weeks ago), but not by a lot. The running part of the first cycle was significantly longer before i needed to slow down, which I suppose is the eventual point.

Feel: A little uncomfortable as it was already 23 deg C at 0915 when I set off..
I've broken out in a sweat just reading that , bloody well done IMHO

I'll admit to skiving the past three days.
Went out this afternoon & did 3.35 miles in 55 minutes, which is a minute off my previous time & pulse rate never went over 126.
Might not sound like much of an effort but I'm still carrying 68lb over the theoretical maximum normal weight for someone my height & I'm happy with the progress I'm making.
BP is ticking downwards too: 115/62 just now & down into the 120's most of the time, whereas six months back it was 130's & worse.

Been out twice this week, was hoping to make it three, but am on nights at present, which tends to destroy my motivation for getting out and keeping fit.

Date: Monday 21/05/18
Activity: 5.5km jog
Duration: 35 minutes
How did I feel: hot, thirsty, tired.

Date: Wednesday 23/05/18
Activity: 5.5km jog
Duration: 35 minutes
How did I feel: same as last time, but sweatier.

Date: 28/05/18
Activity: 3.06km run/jog
Duration: 17:26
How did I feel: Hot and tired, but not too bad considering.

Date: 30/05/18
Activity: 10.8km walk into town with the dog.
Duration: 1:58
How did I feel? Hot!

Date: 30/05/18
Activity: Warm up, 2400 run, cool down
Duration: 34 minutes total
How did I feel? Better than I'd expected. It did help that it was a bit cooler though.

Date: 31/05/18
Activity: 11.5km walk
Duration: 1:52
How did I feel? Pretty good actually.

Last edited:
Missed a turn on today's walk, so ended up walking 4½miles rather than 3½, with an extra 200' of elevation thrown in for good measure.
Took me 85 minutes.
I was flagging a bit by the end, as the temperature was 24°C in the shade & there wasn't any shade.

Rather warm here, so 1 hour walk around the farm in the sun, some on steep field to get the blood flowing faster , chased by goats , got up a sweat too.

Parkrun Sat; got a PB.

Went out with Wor Lass on Sunday for 2.5 hours, targeting some big hills, even running repeats of them, all under MAF. We both surprised ourselves with our ability to run - slowly - up some of these hills, while remaining under our respective maf max.

Wor Lass had ran for five hours the day prior (targeting off road hills); she's got an ultra in the Peak District in August.

Ended up soaking though; there was some torrential showers.

Another fast paced (for me )walk on the road, 1hr 20. in warm sunshine , done with ease but teflon parts on left foot have worn and need replacing during the week

Date: 28 May.
Feel: According to my phone it was 19 Deg C when I set off at 10:15 (I know it's during working hours, but we have 3.5 hrs phys per week written into our T&Cs). After about 500m I realised that was bolleaux. My HR was about 10 bpm higher than normal so I reckon it must have been around 24 Deg C. I seemed to spend almost all my time slowing down, but bizarrely my three measured km times were each about 30 secs better than last time. Weird! By the time I finished it was F'in' boilin'. As I was walking during my warm down I passed our local PTI who offered the cheery rejoinder, "Bit warm for running innit?" Really, you reckon?

I put off going for a run till about 1900 hrs yesterday, but managed to shoe-horn myself out of the door to spend 70 minutes doing 3/4 mile laps around this valley at maf (so some walking too):

IMG_3024-Pano
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

I played about with it; I'd do stuff like 7 second bursts of speed (not long enough to go anaerobic), or hill repeats where I'd get up the hill at maf, but then throw myself down it fast. It's meant to help with neuro-muscular something-or-other and you can go faster in a race; apparently.

I did a 5k maf test on the treadmill and got 27 mins, 28 seconds, ran at a heartrate of no higher than 133 bpm and did it 1 min 27 seconds faster than my last on the 9th May.

So pleased with that.

I did a 5k maf test on the treadmill and got 27 mins, 28 seconds, ran at a heartrate of no higher than 133 bpm and did it 1 min 27 seconds faster than my last on the 9th May.

So pleased with that.
That's quite impressive for that heartrate. At the moment it would take me something like 35 minutes for 5Km at 127bpm. It is improving slightly, although the first month of the 180 method isn't over yet.

Went shopping, put in a couple of hundred bedding plants for Mum, then cut her grass. More knackering than a 3 mile walk in this heat, plus I got bit by a bastard clegg.

I'm not going to join this one to my others because it is not part of the 180 LHR sequence.

Date: 30 May
Activity: Organisation 5km run
Duration: 41.48 (Incl 5 min warm up/down)
Feel: Great. Well chuffed with the progress.

For this big sort of fun run today I abandoned the 180 method LHR principles and just jogged round freely at a comfortable steady pace. It was frankly amazing. I have done this stretch loads of times and before I started the LHR stuff about 3 1/2 weeks ago my HR would have been about 155-160 after about the first 1.5Km or so. Today I comfortably jogged around the course with my HR barely getting close to 140bpm, apart from going over the railway bridge (About 600m long) when it went up to 144.

I actually don't care that I broke the sequence as it is not an end in itself, but I am stunned by the difference in such a short time. This is now something I want to do, rather than a bit of a chore.

I am definitely keeping this 180 LHR routine going. Brilliant!