When We Were Soldiers: Week Two

I wish I wish , that is something I do miss, cross country running and orienteering many years ago :-(
I was a junior soldier and we had a regimental orienteering competition. A friend of mine - ex pad brat public schoolboy won it - because he'd done it at boarding school.

I came second, because I followed him.

And because of that I ended up on the regt orienteering team, and every weekend, when all the lads were having a lie in, we'd have to get in the back of a Bedford and go run around some wet/freezing forest.

It was shite and I still don't like it now.

It all sounds spot on and I do something very similar with running and walking the hills. I just play about with it and try to get up a hill while doing some kind of running, and when my HR gets to a beat or two of my MAF, I walk.

Other times I run up a hill till I have to walk, get to the top, then go back down partially (heart rate drops) and then try and run that partial bit under maf.

The thing is, whether you're running at 9 mmp on the flat, or walking a hill at 17 mmp, our hearts don't really know the difference, so as long as you're in your maf zone (maf to - 10 beats), you're getting the required training effect.

Careful when going down hills though; you can really chuck yourself down one and still be under your maf, but I wouldn't do this more than once-a-week, and build it up. Downhill running is a topic all of it's own but I believe you need to condition yourself into it (if you're like me, middle aged).
Yeah, I'm good down hills.
How does MAF meet your 'zones'? For me, it's in the lower half of Zone 2 for me.

Found a nice circuit for me if I have a few hours free - I did Pen Y Fan from home and back in exactly 3hrs a few days back - keeping my HR down on the last climb up to Corn Du must have looked quite funny as it became such a plod. and I then ran off once at the top.

How does MAF meet your 'zones'? For me, it's in the lower half of Zone 2 for me.
I don't know, though I know how to find out what heart rate training zones are. Some folk calculate them, something like 240 minus your age and work them out from there.

But I believe the best way is to 'discover them' by finding out what your max heart rate is, normally found at the end of a race when you've flogged yourself to death, and then work them out from that.

This method is completely different from that. Mafetone doesn't discourage high intensity training, but teaches it shouldn't be used during a base building period since it hinders aerobic base building capacity. From experience I reckon he's right. Both Wor Lass and I got 5k PBs after a lengthy period of maf training (for an ultra) and since the ultra we went back to 'old school' type training, with loads of races - lots of high intensity - and we haven't be able to better our 5k personal bests since.

Which is one of the reasons we're back to base building at maf. We know it works.

It all sounds spot on and I do something very similar with running and walking the hills. I just play about with it and try to get up a hill while doing some kind of running, and when my HR gets to a beat or two of my MAF, I walk.

Other times I run up a hill till I have to walk, get to the top, then go back down partially (heart rate drops) and then try and run that partial bit under maf.

The thing is, whether you're running at 9 mmp on the flat, or walking a hill at 17 mmp, our hearts don't really know the difference, so as long as you're in your maf zone (maf to - 10 beats), you're getting the required training effect.

Careful when going down hills though; you can really chuck yourself down one and still be under your maf, but I wouldn't do this more than once-a-week, and build it up. Downhill running is a topic all of it's own but I believe you need to condition yourself into it (if you're like me, middle aged).
I used to go running over longer distances with a group of 7 other fellas. We were all quite good over about 10 miles or so and did it for fun. One of them was a 22 SAS guy, who was amazing at running downhill: really fast, and I mean REALLY fast. Sadly for him he wasn't so fast uphill so it all evened itself out over distance.

We once competed as a team in the Blandford Truscott trophy and won the team event by coming 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th (I was 4th, he was 5th).

At this temporal distance I can't believe that I used to run up hills for fun. I must have been mad. What was I thinking?

I used to go running over longer distances with a group of 7 other fellas. We were all quite good over about 10 miles or so and did it for fun. One of them was a 22 SAS guy, who was amazing at running downhill: really fast, and I mean REALLY fast. Sadly for him he wasn't so fast uphill so it all evened itself out over distance.

We once competed as a team in the Blandford Truscott trophy and won the team event by coming 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th (I was 4th, he was 5th).

At this temporal distance I can't believe that I used to run up hills for fun. I must have been mad. What was I thinking?
We were young , foolish and invincible but fit

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Holy cow ! biff chit please :) take it easy for your recovery , build back up slowly , bet the 3 stone comes back :eek:
Thanks ...I can now walk 2 miles and defend myself against prowling kittens.
Still weigh less than I did in 1982.
Unrelenting diet of bacon double cheezburgers and buttered Welshcakes will shurely see me right i.d.c (?)*

Sadly, most of the weight has gone from arms and legs, not rancid belly fat.

Tried on a very nice jacket today, chest 42. The lass in the shop laughed

* nah, not really...sister is a dietician, she'd kill me.

One of them was a 22 SAS guy, who was amazing at running downhill: really fast, and I mean REALLY fast. Sadly for him he wasn't so fast uphill so it all evened itself out over distance.
Wor Lass is great at running up hills, but at fell races she gets frustrated because she'll pass loads of other fell racers on the way up, and then on the way down, they go sailing past her.

She's too frightened to 'let go', I think, in case she smashes her face in.

Date: 6 May
Activity: 180 method 35 min jog/walk (25min was just too short)
Duration: 45 min incl 5 min warm up/down at each end.
Feel: Cruise, but stop-starting is frustrating.
Polar Flow Running Index 41 which is quite good.

Date: 10 May (Had to miss 8 May...Real life)
Activity: 180 method 35 min jog/walk.
Feel: Cruise, but still frustrating.
Polar Flow Running Index 39 which is not as good.

The time taken to hit the target HR was considerably longer on the first cycle today, but then resorted to what I have come to expect from the last two. I am getting better at jogging slowly and thereby prolonging the amount of time spent jogging rather than walking. The average speed for the three measured Kms is about the same and the pattern is consistent. Time will tell.

Date: 12 May.
Activity: same again.
Duration: same.
Feel: Seems very easy.
Polar Flow Running Index 40.

Date: 14 May
Activity: Same
Duration: Same
Feel: it is getting easier and easier. It took a lot longer to hit the upper HR for the first time. That could be due to aerobic improvement or getting better at slow jogging. Maybe a bit of both. I have noticed though that I have magically lost a kilo in the last week, without any real changes made.
Polar Flow Running Index 39.

Date: 16 May.
Activity: 180 method 37 min jog/walk. (Added a little triangle around a copse)
Duration: 47 min incl 5 min warm up/down at each end.
Feel: Cruise.

Date: 18 May.
Activity: 180 method 30 min jog/walk. (A bit shorter today after a mess dinner yesterday evening)
Duration: 40 min incl 5 min warm up/down at each end.
Feel: A little less cruisey.
Hit the upper HR much earlier in the first cycle today, probably due to the toxins still coursing around my veins from yesterday evening.

Date: 20 May.
Activity: 180 method 50 min jog/walk. (A bit longer today because the weather was nice and I felt like it)
Duration: 60 min incl 5 min warm up/down at each end.
Feel: Very comfortable.
Polar Flow Running Index 38.
Hit the upper HR about the same time as the last run during the first cycle. It was a little warmer today (24 Deg C). I am quite frustrated as each of the measured Km was slower and the trend is worsening run by run. I have been keeping a spreadsheet and my performance is getting worse, not better. On the upside, it feels easier every time. Yin and yang...

Week 3
Sick parade for me today
Activity running to the toilet
How do I feel ? sore in the wrong places, why did I eat the Tesco pineapple fingers in the fridge not knowing that the previous 2 day they were in Mrs WW's hot car ?

22/5/18
Activity treadmill
Duration 1hour 10 gradient 3
How do I feel knackered but with a buzz

Whens endex ?

23/5/18
Activity Treadmiull
How do I feel, knackered but happy that there is some increase in muscle tone on the thigh
I've been looking over my shoulder for @MrBane in the jack wagon, as yet no sign of him

I'll continue on in my own little way having got the habit back

Last edited:
Hit the upper HR about the same time as the last run during the first cycle. It was a little warmer today (24 Deg C). I am quite frustrated as each of the measured Km was slower and the trend is worsening run by run. I have been keeping a spreadsheet and my performance is getting worse, not better. On the upside, it feels easier every time. Yin and yang...
Heat will affect your heart rate. Stress (physical, work and family) will affect it too, so if you've got stuff going on, that could account for the decrease in aerobic performance. Or it could be the beginning of a cold or something?

Or you might just need a day or two of rest?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "each of the measured Km was slower", but on a maf test, this is what you would expect. A fresh heart beats the strongest, so good performance to begin with, then as it tires you get a drop off and each mile will be slower than the one prior.

If the 2nd mile is faster than the 1st, that would be because you didn't warm up properly prior to the maf test.

As you get aerobically more efficient, the drop off reduces.

Anyway, I suspect you just need a rest day.

I went to the gym last night, and then planned to go for a maf run, but loads of women were filtering into the back room and the gym guy asked me if I wanted to join them for a boxercise class.

So for a change, a laugh, and a letch I did, and I really enjoyed it. There was 13 different stations, skipping, battle ropes, pad work, a hoola hoop, squat jumps (etc) and we rotated. Apart from the instructor, I was the only bloke there.

So the maf went out of the window, but it was a good letch, so well worth it.

Heat will affect your heart rate. Stress (physical, work and family) will affect it too, so if you've got stuff going on, that could account for the decrease in aerobic performance. Or it could be the beginning of a cold or something?

Or you might just need a day or two of rest?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "each of the measured Km was slower", but on a maf test, this is what you would expect. A fresh heart beats the strongest, so good performance to begin with, then as it tires you get a drop off and each mile will be slower than the one prior.

If the 2nd mile is faster than the 1st, that would be because you didn't warm up properly prior to the maf test.

As you get aerobically more efficient, the drop off reduces.

Anyway, I suspect you just need a rest day.
You are probably right about the cold. My wife has had one for the last 2 or 3 days, although I only had a slightly sticky throat, which I put down to pollen. Maybe I didn't get away with the cold after all.

What I meant by "each of the measured Km was slower", was that km1, 2 and 3 were each slower than on the previous run and that pattern has developed over the last four outings. I don't feel as if it's getting any harder, in fact it seems easier, but then it would wouldn't it.

Anyway, I am going to take a break today as it's too warm. So let's see what happens over the next four serials. If the downward trend continues, then I shall have to take a closer look at what is going on.

I am still losing weight though. Now 1.8 Kg in the last 2 weeks.

Did my first '2 plate' lift of this current program yesterday - 100kg Deadlift. Grip got a bit interesting on the last one. Might have to go to a mixed grip if it doesn't improve with the weight. Don't want to use straps until I absolutely have to.

Date: 6 May
Activity: 180 method 35 min jog/walk (25min was just too short)
Feel: Cruise, but stop-starting is frustrating.
Polar Flow Running Index 41 which is quite good.

Date: 10 May (Had to miss 8 May...Real life)
Feel: Cruise, but still frustrating.
Polar Flow Running Index 39 which is not as good.

The time taken to hit the target HR was considerably longer on the first cycle today, but then resorted to what I have come to expect from the last two. I am getting better at jogging slowly and thereby prolonging the amount of time spent jogging rather than walking. The average speed for the three measured Kms is about the same and the pattern is consistent. Time will tell.

Date: 12 May.
Activity: same again.
Duration: same.
Feel: Seems very easy.
Polar Flow Running Index 40.

Date: 14 May
Activity: Same
Duration: Same
Feel: it is getting easier and easier. It took a lot longer to hit the upper HR for the first time. That could be due to aerobic improvement or getting better at slow jogging. Maybe a bit of both. I have noticed though that I have magically lost a kilo in the last week, without any real changes made.

Date: 16 May.
Activity: 180 method 37 min jog/walk. (Added a little triangle around a copse)
Duration: 47 min incl 5 min warm up/down at each end.
Feel: Cruise.

Date: 18 May.
Activity: 180 method 30 min jog/walk. (A bit shorter today after a mess dinner yesterday evening)
Duration: 40 min incl 5 min warm up/down at each end.
Feel: A little less cruisey.
Hit the upper HR much earlier in the first cycle today, probably due to the toxins still coursing around my veins from yesterday evening.

Date: 20 May.
Activity: 180 method 50 min jog/walk. (A bit longer today because the weather was nice and I felt like it)
Duration: 60 min incl 5 min warm up/down at each end.
Polar Flow Running Index 38.
Hit the upper HR about the same time as the last run during the first cycle. It was a little warmer today (24 Deg C). I am quite frustrated as each of the measured Km was slower and the trend is worsening run by run. I have been keeping a spreadsheet and my performance is getting worse, not better. On the upside, it feels easier every time. Yin and yang.

Date: 23 May.
Polar Flow Running Index 41.
Much better than the last 4 runs and a little better than when I first started (Almost 3 weeks ago), but not by a lot. The running part of the first cycle was significantly longer before i needed to slow down, which I suppose is the eventual point.

Week 3
Sick parade for me today
Activity running to the toilet
How do I feel ? sore in the wrong places, why did I eat the Tesco pineapple fingers in the fridge not knowing that the previous 2 day they were in Mrs WW's hot car ?

22/5/18
Activity treadmill
How do I feel knackered but with a buzz

Whens endex ?

23/5/18
Activity Treadmiull
How do I feel, knackered but happy that there is some increase in muscle tone on the thigh
I've been looking over my shoulder for @MrBane in the jack wagon, as yet no sign of him

I'll continue on in my own little way having got the habit back

I am still losing weight though. Now 1.8 Kg in the last 2 weeks.
Thats a point I havent weighed my self sine I started this ex will tomorrow

24/25/ 5 /18
Much more of the same on the treadmill
now making 1 hour sessions, I still know I've done it but its getting easier
I've found walking around the farm on the flat less strenuous now
Deffo will keep this up ( the lower teflon/steel joint for the foot is showing wear ) until I fall apart .
Still no sign of MrBane in the Bedford , looks like I may have out run him .

Last edited:
Parkrun PB (personal best) this morning; 5k - a muddy and partly undulating and off road course - 21.28, with no other training than low-heart-rate-training.

On another local parkrun, one that's flat and all on tarmac, I reckon I could shift 20 to 30 seconds off that.

It just gives me further confidence that low-heart-rate-training works.