When We Were Soldiers: Week Two

The weather is about to get hotter for the next week (35-37 deg) so maybe I am going to have to bite the bullet and face the pigs. Or I could just run along the road for 5-6Km.
Cant take a firearm with you ? or some other noise making device to give 'em a scare.

Cant take a firearm with you ? or some other noise making device to give 'em a scare.
I'm trying to work out a road route now.

I have a gun, but I am not sure that a 9mm round would be much use on a wild boar skull. How would I explain to a rozzer why I was out jogging with a Smith & Wesson tucked in my shorts?

Another downside of running in the woods so early in the day, is that if you had an issue (Falling, taking ill etc.) no-one would find you for hours. From about 0800 onwards, there are plenty of dog-walkers, cyclists and people taking shortcuts so it is not such a risk.

A mile ( Km ) stone tonight, I appear to have hit 100km since I started this. I feel extremely chuffed.Now having to supervise my (once fit ) Brother on the treadmill as part of his recovery, how things change.

edited for speelin

Last edited:
3½ miles in 50 minutes today, after three days of less physical activity.
Tomorrow I get to shovel & carry another ton of concrete.

I lifted weights four times this week; I do a two day split, and I also did 4 hours on the treadmill (an hour a time after weight training) because it's been too hot to run outside and I'm not one for getting up early to do it.

Rest day today.

I plan a medium long run (two hours) tomorrow.

I run by time, not by distance, because I like to run a lot of hills and when I try to do it by distance, it's too much.

Last edited:
Four hours mixing & carrying concrete on Thursday, followed by the same again today, along with humping some stupidly large (100kg plus) lumps of sandstone back to where they should be.
Weight's consitently been coming off over the past month or so & at this rate I'll be classed as "overweight" rather than "fat bastard" by late September. :mrgreen:

And now for a change..... stairs. Up the stairs, down the stairs repeat 10 times, now that IS a bit of an effort for me, down is backwards btw

Been a bit hectic for quite a while so this isn't going to be too studded with dates and so on, but I have been busy (ish).
I''ve done some more walking, joined the local council's gym scheme, had a couple of decent work-outs at the local fitness centre, and nearly took myself out of the game on a group cycling trip - luckily I told the group leaders that I have diabetes type 2, so when I went down like a sack of tatties due to a whole lot of things going wrong at the same time, they were able to do immediate - and even better, effective - first aid and summoned the Ambulance Service.
(I was most impressed by the response of everyone involved in getting me out of that situation, by the way. That was when I wasn't busy hallucinating and so on).
On a lighter note, since my first diabetes clinic appointment, I have lost ten pounds in weight, my cholesterol level has went down, and my blood sugar level has decreased from 65 to 42. My nurse practitioner seemed quite happy with that, but also a bit concerned by the whole going down like a sack of tatties on a cycling trip thing.
I got some good advice from her about exercise and how to go about it, and for once I have been following it.

I need to brush up on my map/land reading skills, as what was supposed to be a 4 mile walk turned into 7 miles by the time I'd finished.
Serves me right really, as I'd done nothing since Saturday.
Throw in an hour mowing the lawns at Mum's & I think I've caught up most of the deficit.
I'm also down to 17st 10lbs, so 36lb off since January with only a halving of my beer intake & minor adjustments elsewhere. I was hoping for more but some of the lost fat has plainly gone into muscle, as my thighs are more than 1½" bigger than 6 months ago & I have calf muscles where I didn't know they existed. My physio bloke's also impressed with my arrse (no, not in that manner...), as he noted a few years back when I had piriformis syndrome that I had bugger all muscle there but now muscle tone is way better than a fat bloke like me should have.
Butter's a bugger, as I love the stuff but a slice of granary toast with a smear of butter's still 200kcal for a moment's enjoyment. Slap on some home made jam & it's 300.....

I've six mile walk laid out for tomorrow morning, followed by a walk round one of my rabbiting farms planned for the afternoon if the rain holds off.
Thursday's taken up with family stuff & Friday i have the joys of mixing & moving another ton of concrete.

Funny thing is, I'm starting to feel guilty on the days when I don't get my arrse in gear & do something & also don't feel as good.

I need to brush up on my map/land reading skills, as what was supposed to be a 4 mile walk turned into 7 miles by the time I'd finished.
Serves me right really, as I'd done nothing since Saturday.
Throw in an hour mowing the lawns at Mum's & I think I've caught up most of the deficit.
I'm also down to 17st 10lbs, so 36lb off since January with only a halving of my beer intake & minor adjustments elsewhere. I was hoping for more but some of the lost fat has plainly gone into muscle, as my thighs are more than 1½" bigger than 6 months ago & I have calf muscles where I didn't know they existed. My physio bloke's also impressed with my arrse (no, not in that manner...), as he noted a few years back when I had piriformis syndrome that I had bugger all muscle there but now muscle tone is way better than a fat bloke like me should have.
Butter's a bugger, as I love the stuff but a slice of granary toast with a smear of butter's still 200kcal for a moment's enjoyment. Slap on some home made jam & it's 300.....

I've six mile walk laid out for tomorrow morning, followed by a walk round one of my rabbiting farms planned for the afternoon if the rain holds off.
Thursday's taken up with family stuff & Friday i have the joys of mixing & moving another ton of concrete.

Funny thing is, I'm starting to feel guilty on the days when I don't get my arrse in gear & do something & also don't feel as good.
Butter is great for losing weight; bread no so much.

Seriously, if you want to lose weight - fast (and losing it fast is healthy; there's no science that says it's not) - go down the low carb high fat route.

Just eat low carb for a few weeks to get your metabolism used to the change and then 'go for it'. Part of the low carb high fat diet is your body fat.

It's easy and there's very little hunger involved.

Butter is great for losing weight; bread no so much.

Seriously, if you want to lose weight - fast (and losing it fast is healthy; there's no science that says it's not) - go down the low carb high fat route.

Just eat low carb for a few weeks to get your metabolism used to the change and then 'go for it'. Part of the low carb high fat diet is your body fat.

It's easy and there's very little hunger involved.
I've cut the carbs down to 100-150 a day from around the 300 mark. I tried less & started getting headaches after any sustained physical exertion.
Lunch is 400g of salad with 2 hard boiled eggs & a dollop of mayo which comes in at 300kcal, except weekends when it's bacon, eggs & toast which is 4 times that.
What I need to do is cut out the 2 bacon breakfasts & limit my IPA intake to one bottle a day but that starts sounding miserable...

I've cut the carbs down to 100-150 a day from around the 300 mark. I tried less & started getting headaches after any sustained physical exertion.
Lunch is 400g of salad with 2 hard boiled eggs & a dollop of mayo which comes in at 300kcal, except weekends when it's bacon, eggs & toast which is 4 times that.
What I need to do is cut out the 2 bacon breakfasts & limit my IPA intake to one bottle a day but that starts sounding miserable...
There is an initial week-or-two where some folk feel a bit below par when they first go low carb, but that's because their fat burning metabolism is under-developed. Going low carb forces your body to utilise fat (including body fat) as fuel and once that initial period is over, exercise isn't a problem.

But 100 - 150 grams of carbs a day is still pretty good and would be classed as a low carb diet.

When I wanted to lose weight I went down to 20 grams a carbs a day; for about a two week period.

Now I don't know what my carb intake is, I just eat low carb stuff by avoiding the starchy stuff and sugar.

Apart from the occasional carb binge.

Here was me thinking I was only losing weight at 1lb a week, when I revisited a discussion elsewhere & noted that in a post I made exactly a month ago, I was 9lb heavier than I am today, so I'm actually back on track, which is nice to know. :mrgreen:

I'm 6 lbs heavier than I was a few weeks ago. A weekend in Buxton - eating all kinds of shite - hasn't helped.

So I'm back on the very low carb and intermittent fasting. I'd like to lose that 6 lbs and some more; for vanity and to be lighter for running.

There is a school of thought that hitting the carbs hard every-now-and-then is a good for endurance athletes (not that I class myself as one) because it keeps the carb energy pathways in good working order too.

They still use carbs - like caffeine - strategically to race with.

The lass on the left - taking a selfie with an invisible phone - is a low carb athlete (though to me, when females wear their veins on the outside, that screams 'eating disorder'). But she's a machine.

IMG_7934
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

Last edited:
I managed some kind of workout for six of the past seven days; four 3 mile plus walks, a hike & an afternoon mixing & moving concrete. I think the latter was probably the most exercise.
I'm now consistently doing my regular flattish 3.3 mile route at over 4mph & close to 4mph for the slightly longer one that has 400' of ascent included.
Have barely lost any weight despite the extra exertions but had to move down another hole in my belt, though still plenty of fat to shift from that region. Probably a result of all the lifting & carrying over the past couple of weeks getting some semblance of muscle to reappear.

I've been running and weight training, but with more emphasis on the weight training. It showed today when I went for a two-hour run; what would've felt easy a few months back, didn't.

I've got a half marathon in two weeks; I'm not expecting ayn special time; I think I'll just cruise around it for training.