When We Were Soldiers: Week Two

Just ran today's intake through a carb calculator: 137g including 1.5 litres of IPA which made up almost 40%. 200g of new potatoes came second, followed by 3tsp of sugar in 1½ pints of coffee.
All else was negligible amounts
Sounds like a move in the right direction. It would be even better if you swapped the IPA for a healthier carb free spirit.

IPA isn't really drinking anyway, it's more like homeopathy, and let's face it, there's nothing better than a nice cold pint of whisky; (which is why I'm in A.A.).

I add salt to my water when I've been sweating heavily. If I don't, what happens is that I drink and I piss it all out half-an-hour later.

I listened to a good podcast from a scientist who advises the US military on hydration; it was an ultra running podcast (the scientist is also an ultra runner) and he just advised mixing small amounts of salt (like from a salt sachet you get in cafes) to your water.

He said we lose other trace elements, such as calcium and potassium, but in such small trace amounts that these don't need to be replenished.

He also said some people need more salt than others because some (like me) are 'salty sweaters' and you know if you're a 'salty sweater' because you see white salt lines on your clothing when they dry.

But obviously, if you've some medical thing going on, just ignore me.
No medical thing, apart from being bombarded by advice that salt is baaaad.
My salt intake's always been above the RDA & my BP is in the 120-130 range, so due to the salt=high BP stuff, I try not to add even more.
Oh & when I sweat & am wearing a black t-shirt, it dries to look like a skeleton outfit, with white ribs, spine & shoulders, so I guess I'm a salty sweater. :mrgreen:

Up Dent this morning (not that Dent, this one...).
Set off from the river for a mile along the road, then it was about a 900' ascent over a mile, which certainly pushed things a bit. Dent itself was 2.25 miles, which I reached in 58 minutes, then 1.05 miles down the other side & back to the truck in 35 minutes.
Had to stop for a few seconds about every 100 steps on the steepest part of the ascent, as my thigh & calf muscles started burning before that & doing more was pushing my HR up past 130.
I've knocked off another 2lbs over the past week.

Finished yesterday off with a couple of hours' serious "gardening" of the bramble & nettle removal kind.
Despite a seriously energetic day, I still only managed to sleep 5 hours, so was up & out by 09:00.
6 mile hike, including over 1,800' of ascent & carrying a 10lb pack (camera, lenses, Camelbak full of water. Managed it in 2 hrs 38 minutes. Followed that by a couple of miles round various shops, doing some garden maintenance at Mum's & crawling around in the stream that runs through her property to see what repairs are needed (aneckofalot) to the retaining wall on one side.
I think I'll drop back to a 3½ mile, mostly flat dawdle tomorrow & Sunday, as my right knee's been reminding me that 60 isn't the new 40 in all things...

I hit the two month point of the LHR 180 method today. The progress is pretty good this month, but not as remarkable as the first. That makes sense to me because I was starting from a different base and progress is not linear or we would improve to infinity. My heart rate is remarkably good now on a non-180 run, which I do about every two weeks. During these runs it is probably about 15-20 bpm lower than it was before I started the programme, for a comparable session.

The three measured Km are now fairly consistent, with only a 30 sec difference between the first and the third.

One thing I have noticed in the year since i re-started running, is that my walking speed has increased. At the start of my first C25K programme last year, my brisk walking speed was about 100m/min. This was useful as a measure as it helped me plot potential routes. Now when I use a brisk walk as a warm up (A hangover from C25K) my speed is 120m/min and the heart rate is still the same at 95-100/min. That is a win however you look at it.

I hit the two month point of the LHR 180 method today. The progress is pretty good this month, but not as remarkable as the first. That makes sense to me because I was starting from a different base and progress is not linear or we would improve to infinity. My heart rate is remarkably good now on a non-180 run, which I do about every two weeks. During these runs it is probably about 15-20 bpm lower than it was before I started the programme, for a comparable session.

The three measured Km are now fairly consistent, with only a 30 sec difference between the first and the third.

One thing I have noticed in the year since i re-started running, is that my walking speed has increased. At the start of my first C25K programme last year, my brisk walking speed was about 100m/min. This was useful as a measure as it helped me plot potential routes. Now when I use a brisk walk as a warm up (A hangover from C25K) my speed is 120m/min and the heart rate is still the same at 95-100/min. That is a win however you look at it.
What is this "running" of which you speak?
1confused.gif

:mrgreen:

I was going to skive off but my conscience got the better of me after dinner this evening, so I went round my favourite 3.3 mile route on the footpaths & cycleway in 51½ minutes, which is more than 2 minutes off my previous best.
It might not sound much but 6 months ago the same walk would have taken me well more than an hour & left me feeling knackered.
Mind you; I was 30lb heavier then...

Haha; I read your post as 120 miles per min; I take it you mean meters? Runner's usually describe pace in the UK as minute mile pace, such as 10 minutes per mile (1 mile for every 10 minutes) for example. Hence 'mmp' as the abbreviation.
Fair enough, but then I would have been very, very slow at 120 mins per mile, not fast. On the other hand shouldn't your abbreviation for minutes per mile be 'mpm' rather than 'mmp'?

I was going to skive off but my conscience got the better of me after dinner this evening, so I went round my favourite 3.3 mile route on the footpaths & cycleway in 51½ minutes, which is more than 2 minutes off my previous best.
It might not sound much but 6 months ago the same walk would have taken me well more than an hour & left me feeling knackered.
Mind you; I was 30lb heavier then...
Same route tonight in 49:24 so I cracked the 4mph barrier (at 4.008mph...). :mrgreen:

Just getting back into it after a hip flexor and wrist injury; both unrelated. Hip flexor from a race and the wrist from some DIY. Annoying though because I couldn't run or lift weights. And they're still not 100% after 9 days of rest.

So did an upper body workout in the gym and went for a half-hour run; just easy.

I was doing well up until Friday, with 11 days on the trot of 4+ miles & plenty of hills.

Done nothing since except a few hours of garden work & some plum tree pruning.
I'll get out tomorrow, once the rain's passed through.

Just about knacked myself today: Five hours mixing & carrying concrete & sandbags full of concrete to do a wall repair job at me Mum's place with my brother. More than a ton & a half in total.
Don't think I've done as much physical work since moving home in 2014.
Oh joy; I get to do the same again on Saturday...

...and Tuesday.

The good news is my weight continuing to drop - I might make it back to being a "fit" BMI by February next year after all.

According to my wrist gadget thingy, today's four hour bout of concrete mixing, carrying & pouring burned an extra 1,200 calories above base level.
Now I have a better idea of how much more is needed & I reckon the job's good for another 3,600 calories, AKA over a pound of fat burned.
I just hope my creaking bod can bear the strain...

Thats the thing , avoiding injury or you end up going backwards.
I found that when I was waiting for leg parts, took a little while to get back up there.
Still managing an hour on the treadmill and extras looking after the "cripple" Brother :-D

I went for my first run today after 11 days off due to a combination of mad workload and it being too hot when I did have the opportunity. By too hot I mean 26 Deg+. I can't get up at half past five and go running, because I'm too lazy, even though it is cooler. Anyway I'm scared of the wild pigs still wandering the woods at that time of day.

Back on track...It was 24 Deg when I set off at just before 11, but I thought it went alright. LHR 180 method, reasonable distance before having to slow down and far fewer intervals than a month ago. Then, when I got back and analysed the stats I was very underwhelmed. About 30-40 seconds slower for each of the measured KM and a PolarFlow running index of only 38, three or four below normal. The drop off in performance is disheartening.

The weather is about to get hotter for the next week (35-37 deg) so maybe I am going to have to bite the bullet and face the pigs. Or I could just run along the road for 5-6Km.