When was the last time the military sorted THIS country out

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

When was the last time we had a coup thread on ARRSE? Must be a while.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
well we were living in centrally heated houses, taking baths, shitting down sewers and driving on decent roads until the picts spoiled it.

I don't think britain has ever been out from under a political self interested interface, even when fighing the armada, bonaparte, the kaiser and hitler and the ussr we were allways shackled by corruption and political self interest.

You could say it was when Wellington was PM but I think he was not good at it. Then again most of the inter war MPs had served and most of the post WW2 would also have served particularly as we had national service till 64. Churchill had a service record also.

Your point is?

Er is that hrs or AD?
1642 AD the start of the English Civil War, it was in three parts lasted until 1651 which resulted in a Republican Government that was dissolved in1660 with a military coup by General Monck using his own Regiment which became the predecessor of the Coldstream Guards.

Serious head on, but wasn't there a 'whiff' of this in the air in the mid 70's? The three day week, rubbish in the streets etc and wasn't Mountbatten rumoured to have been involved?

Serious head on, but wasn't there a 'whiff' of this in the air in the mid 70's? The three day week, rubbish in the streets etc and wasn't Mountbatten rumoured to have been involved?
Not in the bit I was in there wasn't but, that doesn't stop the conspiracy crowd drooling about the possibility!