When was Saracen last used in Ulster ?

Discussion in 'RLC' started by Jaeger, Dec 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys, can anybody tell me when the last Saracen was taken out of service in Northern Ireland? I know they were still in use as late as 1989 or so but can anybody give a definitive date? On a more specific note does any body recall if Saracens were still in use in Ballykelly in the early 1990's? If not were any other similar vehicels in use there, I'm thinking Saxon perhaps? this is all just to settle an argument I'm havig on another site BTW. Thanks.
  2. And I thought the Ottoman Empire disappeared centuries ago...
  3. Sorry I took so long to reply, I was waiting for my ribs to stop hurting.
  4. i dont know about NI but we had them in hong kong with QOGTR still in 1994!!!!
  5. I think the last one left NI in about 1984 - it was the water cannon version. I could be wrong about the last one in NI but it was certainly the last one in Londonderry.
  6. Yep, that would be the SWD (special water dispenser) versions used by 321 EOD Coy RAOC (as was). When I get the chance I'll check the old team photos - which should tell when they were last on the teams - within a few months or so.
  7. Dunno, but the first one I saw was at the Whiterock Junction in July 1970- painted sand yellow, having been diverted to Ulster from God-knows where. The Belfast Telegraph immediately identified it as a 'tank'! :roll:

Funnily enough, as the marching-cum-riot season kicked off, we were Bde Reserve at Sunnyside (a misnomer if ever there was one) and we ended up briefly attached to the D&Ds, whose helmets were also painted sand yellow.

Apparently they had been due to go wherever it was the Sarricans were supposed to be going and they weren't best pleased to find themselves in the Windy City! :D :D :D
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Still used as Starlight in 83 in West Belfast!
  9. Ugly, you are most correct. Was still used in Nov 83 in West Belfast IIRC.

10. Pigs were still knocking around very early nineties - in the reserve role at the least.
  11. We used pigs in 91 and they weren't reserve. Used all the time out of NHSM, Last Saracen (Amby) I saw was at XMG in 87.
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We had Pigs with the ferret turret and .30 in XMG late 87 and 88. " ifI recall as I used to sleep on a camp bed in the vehicle hangar, the one with all the mortar frag holes in!
  13. Off topic a bit,sorry but did the can have the same engine as the stally? I am pretty certain it did but if any one knows for sure it would be appreciatted