Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When to fly flags?

load_fin

War Hero
18th June. Waterloo day. 31st February. Talk Like a Commando Book Character Day. Strewth skipper, better make a note of that un or Jerry will have you for breakfast!
Talk like a commando boom character might have legs; just need someone to pick the ball up and run with it. Might seem like pushing fog uphill with a pointy stick, but if we stick together, then we'll all come up smelling of roses. Blah blah blah....

load_fin

War Hero
How about this one on May 4th?

Are the paras Empire or Rebels?
Star Wars day takes precedence!

load_fin

War Hero
You might look to see if there is any flag you fly on the 12th July.

You could fly a red workers flag when .. ah well, perhaps not.
Is there a middle class flag?
What sort of area do you live in? Would it be appropriate to fly Pakistani, Afghan, somali, Nigerian, Syrian, Libyan, Albania etc flags to express your solidarity with the new folks next door?
Semi rural and rather WASP. I think the UJ would go down best.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Not flags, but fly these on 31 Oct:

1602664661223.png

1602664677828.png

load_fin

War Hero

What sort of area do you live in? Would it be appropriate to fly Pakistani, Afghan, somali, Nigerian, Syrian, Libyan, Albania etc flags to express your solidarity with the new folks next door?
What about your regimental? Does that get a showing?
Don't have one; never served. By the time I realised I should have tried to be a soldier (every man thinks manly of himself...), I was too old.

Saw my user name on a mug at Tankfest one year and liked it. Didn't mean to Walt.

load_fin

War Hero

What about your regimental? Does that get a showing?
Don't have one; never served. By the time I realised I should have tried to be a soldier (every man thinks meanly of himself...), I was too old.

Saw my user name on a mug at Tankfest one year and liked it. Didn't mean to Walt.
And @dingerr
Got this. Pole has been up for 6 months. No visits yet.

Last edited:

Sandy Heath

Old-Salt
Do we still have designated Flag Stations where the UJ is permitted to be flown officially? I recall that when I was serving we looked into flying a UJ at our unit and were told that we were not authorised. Certainly as late as 1996 Queen's Regulations listed 63 flag stations (10 of them outside the UK).

Are the paras Empire or Rebels?
Star Wars day takes precedence!

Couldn't possibly say. You'd have to discuss that with the Cassinga vets.

Mike here might be able to give you some more info.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Couldn't possibly say. You'd have to discuss that with the Cassinga vets.

Mike here might be able to give you some more info.
Is he about to land in the river?

Tool

LE

DATES FOR FLYING FLAGS​

Extract from Chapter 3 of the RBL Ceremonial Handbook​

The Government’s Department of Culture, Media and Sport is responsible for issuing the rules for hoisting the Union Flag on Government buildings. Individuals, local authorities and other organisations may fly the Union Flag whenever they wish, subject to compliance with any local planning requirement. Legion Braches are encouraged to use the following guidelines when flying the Union Flag.

DAYS SPECIFIED FOR FLYING THE UNION FLAG​

There are 18 fixed dates each year on which the flag should be flown. While there is no formal definition of a Government building for this purpose, it is generally accepted to mean a building owned or used by the Crown and predominately occupied or used by Civil Servants or her Majesty’s Armed Forces.

Although these regulations apply to government and other public buildings, there would be no objection, in principle, to a County/District/Branch choosing to fly their Union Flag on some (or all) of the dates listed.

FIXED DATES​

09 May Europe Day (see Guidance Note 3)
Well, I guess that's one off the list.

Approximately 22nd July

japan-flag.jpg

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads