When the Racism Card doesn't cut it

Oyibo

LE
I'm not a football fan, but I doff my hat to Greg Dyke:

England’s football chiefs rounded on Sepp Blatter today and told him that his claim that racism was behind corruption allegations was “totally unacceptable”.

Greg Dyke, the FA chairman, responded forcefully to Blatter at a meeting of Uefa federations in São Paulo after the Fifa president had addressed the room.

Dyke said after the meeting: “I said to him, ‘I regard the comments you made yesterday about allegations in the British media in which you described them as racist as totally unacceptable.’ The allegations being made are nothing to do with the racism, they are allegations about corruption.”

David Gill, England’s Uefa vice-president, called for Blatter not to stand for election for a fifth term next year. He labelled Blatter’s decision to commit a U-turn on his 2011 pledge to stand down in 2015 as “disappointing”.

“The very fact in 2011 he was clear it was just for four years, that should have been the situation,” Gill said. “To change his mind is disappointing.”

Asked if he thought Blatter should step down next year, he said: “Yes, we need to move on. We need a full, frank and open debate about what Fifa needs going forward.”

Gill echoed Dyke in that Blatter’s comments about racism being behind the Qatar 2022 World Cup corruption allegations were “unacceptable”.

African officials were among those alleged to have taken payments from Mohamed Bin Hammam, Qatar’s former Fifa member, according to the Sunday Times.

“The statement made by Mr Blatter yesterday was from our point of view totally incorrect,” Gill said. “This was about the issue being raised quite rightly in the British media that should be addressed by the world governing body and to try and portray it as racist or a discriminatory attack is totally unacceptable.”

Michael van Praag, the Netherlands FA president, lent his support to those who are upset that Blatter is now considering standing for a fifth term in charge. “Mr Blatter, this is nothing personal but if you look at Fifa’s reputation over the last seven or eight years, it is being linked to all kinds of corruption and all kinds of old boys’ networks things,” Van Praag said.

“Fifa has an executive president and you are not making things easy for yourself and I do not think you are the man for the job any longer.

“I like you very much. This is nothing personal. But you are now saying that Qatar was the wrong choice [for the 2022 World Cup], but you are not blaming yourself you are blaming your executive committee.
“Yesterday, you said something about racism against Qatar and people are not taking you seriously any more. This is not good for Fifa and it is not good for the game.

“Yes, you are leading the reforms at the moment, but all these problems occurred in the period before the reforms and you were still president and responsible and I believe you should not run any more.”

ACAB

LE
Well, until pretty recently is was guaranteed to kill off any argument or dissent. Not quite as effective now.

Oyibo

LE
Well, until pretty recently is was guaranteed to kill off any argument or dissent. Not quite as effective now.

Yup. And for that reason Greg Dyke and the FA get a big thumbs up from someone who does not follow football.

As has been said in previous threads here, the far lefts day in the sun is gone. Running around shouting racist to kill any accusations of wrongdoing is over.

As has been said in previous threads here, the far lefts day in the sun is gone. Running around shouting racist to kill any accusations of wrongdoing is over.
I wouldn't bet on it

Yup. And for that reason Greg Dyke and the FA get a big thumbs up from someone who does not follow football.

Another thing to bear in mind about his statement is the fact he used to be director general of the BBC.
If he had an inkling of right wing about him he would never have got that job.

FIFA make the EU look honest and transparent. Blatter needs locking up fof presiding over 2 decades of corruption.

FIFA make the EU look honest and transparent. Blatter needs locking up fof presiding over 2 decades of corruption.
The UEFA is not much better. Before the Qatar vote Platini dined with the French President and the Qataris and since the vote his son Laurent has, surprisingly, taken up a role with PSG's Qatari owners QSI. Which is ironic given, that Platini himself has heavily criticised the prospect of PSG spending millions and millions in the transfer market.

The whole football world is corrupt. Too much money around for it to be otherwise.

Blatter et al. in football, Ecclestone in F1. The list is probably almost endless.

Oyibo

LE
Another thing to bear in mind about his statement is the fact he used to be director general of the BBC.

It's an interesting swing away from the 'right-on' politics of yesteryear.

Everyone now is pushing for Blatter to stand down. I'm taking bets that, if he does, Platini will be voted in to replace him. One corrupt numpty will replace another corrupt numpty. Platini is now making up for the fact that when he was a player they didn't have the wages that the top players have now. He's got deep pockets.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Like Sir Ian Trethowan

or Sir Charles Curran

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sorry I should have added 'in that right on PC era'

Even though many of those Director Generals were appointed by the Board of Governors which were often head by, gasps, Conservatives like Marmaduke Hussey, Christopher Bland, Lord Ryder, Michael Grade, Chris Patten (Chairmen of the Trustees as the Board of Governors was replaced by the Trust in 2007)

Lets hope so. Blatter's attempt to play the New Labouresque joker is risibly transparent as an attempt to stave off his impending, deserved and long overdue passage from power after being followed for years by a cloying but as yet unsubstantiated aroma of corruption and like the New Labour apparatchiks whose tactic he seeks to emulate ( about a decade too late) it would seem that he isn't going to step down from his position of power gracefully.

He'll squeal like a girl as they prise his fingers off the door jam of the HQ building on his way into retirement - hopefully.....