When the Queen dies...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Legs, Nov 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ... will we all be changing our capbadges?

When King George VI died and Queen Elizabeth II ascended to the throne the style of crown changed, and was reflected in a change of capbadges. For example:

[​IMG] became [​IMG]

So when Prince Charles becomes King will we go through the same process again? If it was to happen next year, could we afford it?

2. Perhaps he can wear her crown, well put it on, whether he can wear it in the same manner as Brenda, remains to be seen.

If not, I guess it will have to be plastic.

3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The Crown that adorns our current heraldry is the St. Edward's, Georgie's was the Tudor or Imperial Crown and was used by Vicky and Edward before him.

Liz changed it by decree in '53, most likely to reflect the change from Empire to Commonwealth, whilst her predecessors were Quenn-Empress/King-Emperor she was simply Queen as Charles will simply be King, so it is unlikely the crown on Royal Cyphers and Capbadges will change again.

4. Royal Signals capbadge has the crown as a separate piece so we save lots of money by not replacing the whole badge.

5. Wasn't this on another thread somewhere? IIRC the type of crown is not fixed, and its up to the Sovereign to choose - and also decree which one is used in regalia such as buttons & cap badges.

6. NO! As part of the current round of austerity measures, the Monarchy will be passed to the next female - a proper one, mind - in line. Male heirs are to be culled.

7. What else is likely to change in Great Britain (and the Commonwealth) when the crown changes hands?

I can think of:

Postage Stamps
    Letterboxes
    OHMS Envelopes (the ones written in full, obviously)

8. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Money - though I still remember George VI florins knockin around as a youngster.

9. There's forward thinking for you, trust the Scalies.

10. Ah, but what to? GviiR, CiiiR ................. or SPQA?

11. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

We don't actually have EIIR on ours up here due to Liz being the first of that name to be Queen of Scotland. We have the Scottish crown on ours.

Parsimony and belligerent nationalism: 1
    Paying for new post boxes: 0

12. I think Charles has said he'll take the name George if/when he steps up, hasn't he?

13. What about Parliament? Will the PM (incumbent) have to ask for the King's permission to form a Government as they do after an election, or will they just carry on as normal?

14. If it's not a daft question, why would he do that?

15. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

In honour of his grandfather I think.