When the hairs on the back of your neck tingle

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It's said that if you stand on the road between Hameln and Rinteln at midnight you can hear the sound of a bus-load of nurses...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah that’s a lie. More chance of aliens invading.

June 88, me in Welling 04:30 phone went. Dad's in Hospital had a stroke. Mrs LRM made me some sandwich and a flask of tea. set off about five, Scots corner by One refueled,got to Perth Murray Royal about half six. Saw Mum and got into see the old man. Completely out, gave him a kiss, eyes flickered, sat by his bed for about half an hour finally noted Mum was dog tired. Told her nothing we could do she needed rest. Followed up A9 home,door opens phone rings. It's the Hospital. He's gone. Bugger had waited for me, sure of it. Does it for me 30years on
My old mum was a dialysis patient for over 15 years. One midnight she called and said she thought she was having a stroke. I was there within 5 minutes, called an ambulance and she was admitted and in a coma within an hour.
The following day it was established that she had a brain tumor and they gave her 24/48 hours to live. They didn't give her any fluids, food or dialysis as it would only prolong the inevitable.
After five days, my brother couldn't hack it any longer, and said his goodbyes. I continued to go in and be with her. On the 7th day I called my brother to say we were going in to see her, and did he want to come?
As we walked into her room, a week bar 3 hours since she was taken ill, she woke from her coma, looked around at us, smiled and then closed her eyes and died.
It was a very eerie experience. I'm just pleased she didn't suffer.

Me and my brother drove a hour to see my nan who was on her death bead in a home . We got there and saw my father and uncle , the only people who could make it . We went in and saw her for 13 minutes then stepped out for a chat . We went back in and said a few words between us and she passed [ from being unresponsive and coma like ]
Almost like she had been waiting for us .

I got mugged and stabbed [ with a bic biro ] when i was 13 , i now have a six sense about anything bad like that - when its going to kick off , people scoping things out like , anything going on thats slightly under the normal surface radar .

We are also lucky in my extended family to have a naughty smelly collie spaniel who aside from being a shit can detect illness . My sister in law had some sort of lump in her boob which he located . Such a good dog although he rolled in what was thought to be a large wet human shit the other day .

Me and my brother drove a hour to see my nan who was on her death bead in a home . We got there and saw my father and uncle , the only people who could make it . We went in and saw her for 13 minutes then stepped out for a chat . We went back in and said a few words between us and she passed [ from being unresponsive and coma like ]
Almost like she had been waiting for us .

I got mugged and stabbed [ with a bic biro ] when i was 13 , i now have a six sense about anything bad like that - when its going to kick off , people scoping things out like , anything going on thats slightly under the normal surface radar .

We are also lucky in my extended family to have a naughty smelly collie spaniel who aside from being a shit can detect illness . My sister in law had some sort of lump in her boob which he located . Such a good dog although he rolled in what was thought to be a large wet human shit the other day .

Did the dog recommend a Cat scan ?

On the morning of the August 31st 1997 I dreamt I was chasing a beautiful lady through a dark tunnel. When I awoke I was soaking wet and my pyjamas were covered in ectoplasm ( a mysterious fluid that facilitates communication between this world and the next).

It was then my wife told me that Princess Diana had died, after being chased through a tunnel.

On the morning of the 11th September 2001 I awoke, perspiring heavily from a dream at precisely 9.11am. The duvet was, once again stuck to me due to an emission of ectoplasm.

I had dreamt about a foreign looking man feeding his 6 month old foreign looking child. He had a spoonful of baby food and would say, "here comes the airplane." But then he would smear it all over the baby's face, making explosion noises.

Then I heard about a plane crashing into the twin towers.

Shortly thereafter my wife left me for a driving instructor.

In the early hours of the 24th June 2016 I dreamt again. This time I was in a swimming pool and I was surrounded by attractive young women, splashing around and enjoying themselves. Suddenly a group of foreign looking men entered the pool and began emptying their bowels, much to everyones horror.
At precisely 5.15am I sat bolt upright in bed perspiring heavily. Ectoplasm had been splashed up the walls to such an extent it had discoloured the paint work.

According to my (second) wife, I then shouted out the word BREXIT so loudly my neighbours became concerned.

I then lay back down and was unable to be woken for several days.

I think we all know what happened next.
Are you from Ealing?

There was an odd man from Ealing
Who had a psychotic feeling
He pissed the bed
And shouted off his head
And he ejaculated all over the ceiling.

I think I mentioned on the haunted barracks thread that I’m still not convinced about ghosts.

When I was a kid my mum span me shit dits about gran’s house having a scary lady ghost that used to go up and down the stairs and allegedly my grandfather sold a very nice house in Belsize Park because there were strange goings on there.

When I was about 10 years old we moved into a red brick 1970s house. It looked exactly like Brookside. Throughout my early teens I used to think there was something in this house, I’d always see a movement out of the corner of my eye and then when I’d turn it’d be gone.

My mum, sister and step dad all reckon they used to see it too. Of course the imagination ran wild and over time we’ve all convinced eachother that the house was haunted and my mum (who is a safeguard loon) has even given it a name and back story.

Was probably just the shadow of a ******* tree blowing in the wind or some shit or just the direction that the house was pointing.

The thing is, I now live in a proper old Manor House. They reckon it was built in 1610 but bits of it date back much further than that. There has been a house on this site since Roman times.

We know a fair bit of the history. A mad earl lived here who kept his dead mistress in a glass lidded coffin, there have been murders in this house and countless people have lived and died here over the years. There is even a room where two brothers had a duel and the door was sealed up for over 200 years to contain the hatred of the brothers.

You’d think if any place had an excuse to be haunted it’d be this gaff. But I’ve lived here 7 years and haven’t heard a squeak. Literally nothing. No weird noises, no objects moving of their own accord, no creepy shadows, no pets going schizo at nothing.

Likewise I know the previous occupants who lived here for over 25 years. They said the same.

Our pub is on the claimed site of the last battle on English soil (Clifton Moor 1745). There is a big oak tree out the back and 12 Scottish rebels who either died in the battle or were executed shortly after it are buried at the base of it. This isn’t a legend, archeologists have examined the graves and confirmed it’s legit. Anyway the long and the short of it is there are 12 dead jocks buried in the pub car park.

Now I used to run the bar here which meant I’d lock up most nights and be the last man out. Pretty much every night I used to wander around where these blokes are buried at around 1 or 2am. I even slept in my car a couple of times after having a few drinks, which was parked directly above where they’re buried.

Never saw, heard or felt a thing.

Also why are ghosts always of old soldiers or priests or women in flowing Victorian dresses?

It’s because it’s bollox that’s why. Our imaginations conjur up images of what we think ghosts should look like.

Why are there no spooky ghosts of dead motorcyclists on the M6 who ride on their spirit Kawasaki Ninjas at the dead of night?
A bit off topic but, I like to think of myself as a rational chap.
I was on exercise on STANTA. It's about 1-2am. My patrol is laid up in a hedgerow. Two of us were stagging on.
There was another hedgerow about 60m away, running 90 degrees from us. Through my SUSAT I saw the jet black head of a panther cautiously poke its head out of that hedgerow then go back in.
I gave my own head a wobble and called my self a c*nt.

I looked through the sight again and there was nothing, just still vegetation......until out pops the head again. I can see it now, clear as day. I saw its eyes, its pointy ears and the f*cker even slightly snarled so I could make out its bright white teeth and upper fangs. Back he then goes into the hedgerow.
Now I'm thinking troops are at risk of being eaten. Do I send a no duff for endex and risk being ridiculed for the rest of my career? Or do I say nothing to save face at the risk of another soldier having his face eaten off?
It was a real and genuine dilemma. I was also feeling quite fresh, so I know hallucinating through exhaustion wasn't a factor (that had happened to me many times before and this was very different). I knew exactly what I was seeing and was 100% convinced as to what it was I was seeing.

On the fourth or fifth viewing of this very large and handsome but dangerous beast through my weapon sight, I lowered my rifle. The panther had vanished. What I did notice however, was my oppo, who was laying a few metres in front of me, occasionally adjusting his PNVGs and every time he did so, the light of the moon would reflect off the index finger of his black leather glove. This was creating my 'panther'.
Looking back through my sight when he did so made it all fall into place.
I have to say I was very very relieved. I had come within a hair's breadth of making myself look an utter cock.

Now I can never claim to have seen a ghost or suchlike, however when people say they have seen something, I can appreciate now how the mind can play the most convincing tricks.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
My old dear has been in hospital for the last few months and a week or so ago a very poorly woman in the bed next to her passed away.
She was always crying out and was not the quitest of neighbours, the night that she carked it though she was unusually vocal and kept crying out for Desmond and asking why he couldn't hear her.
My mum asked her daughter about it in the morning when she came to pick up her stuff and it turns out Desmond was her mums brother in law who had passed away about four years ago.

I have had a few weird coincidences and some of them scarily freaky, but would prefer to keep them to myself.

Edit to add. What I found a bit freaky was that apparently she wasn't calling out to Desmond himself, but was asking "Why can,t he hear me".
So a confused elderly stranger asks herself why a dead relative can't hear her and that makes the hairs on the back of your neck tingle ?
Your head must explode when adverts come on telly.

Ladies & Gents
Most people have their own opinions on sixth sense (not the BFG-based rag!), or ESP, or whatever you might want to call it, but has anyone had any examples of when you know something isn't quite right, you can't put a finger on why, and you are eventually proven correct? I personally refer to it as "the hair on the back of my neck tingling", I am perfectly aware that there are proven neuorological explanations for the phenomenon of "deja-vu", but this I think is slightly different.

If I can cite a few examples:

Years ago, I had parked my dog outside a supermarket
What decade was that? 80's? Must have been a Ford Labrador.

I think I mentioned on the haunted barracks thread that I’m still not convinced about ghosts.

When I was a kid my mum span me shit dits about gran’s house having a scary lady ghost that used to go up and down the stairs and allegedly my grandfather sold a very nice house in Belsize Park because there were strange goings on there.

When I was about 10 years old we moved into a red brick 1970s house. It looked exactly like Brookside. Throughout my early teens I used to think there was something in this house, I’d always see a movement out of the corner of my eye and then when I’d turn it’d be gone.

My mum, sister and step dad all reckon they used to see it too. Of course the imagination ran wild and over time we’ve all convinced eachother that the house was haunted and my mum (who is a safeguard loon) has even given it a name and back story.

Was probably just the shadow of a ******* tree blowing in the wind or some shit or just the direction that the house was pointing.

The thing is, I now live in a proper old Manor House. They reckon it was built in 1610 but bits of it date back much further than that. There has been a house on this site since Roman times.

We know a fair bit of the history. A mad earl lived here who kept his dead mistress in a glass lidded coffin, there have been murders in this house and countless people have lived and died here over the years. There is even a room where two brothers had a duel and the door was sealed up for over 200 years to contain the hatred of the brothers.

You’d think if any place had an excuse to be haunted it’d be this gaff. But I’ve lived here 7 years and haven’t heard a squeak. Literally nothing. No weird noises, no objects moving of their own accord, no creepy shadows, no pets going schizo at nothing.

Likewise I know the previous occupants who lived here for over 25 years. They said the same.

Our pub is on the claimed site of the last battle on English soil (Clifton Moor 1745). There is a big oak tree out the back and 12 Scottish rebels who either died in the battle or were executed shortly after it are buried at the base of it. This isn’t a legend, archeologists have examined the graves and confirmed it’s legit. Anyway the long and the short of it is there are 12 dead jocks buried in the pub car park.

Now I used to run the bar here which meant I’d lock up most nights and be the last man out. Pretty much every night I used to wander around where these blokes are buried at around 1 or 2am. I even slept in my car a couple of times after having a few drinks, which was parked directly above where they’re buried.

Never saw, heard or felt a thing.

Also why are ghosts always of old soldiers or priests or women in flowing Victorian dresses?

It’s because it’s bollox that’s why. Our imaginations conjur up images of what we think ghosts should look like.

Why are there no spooky ghosts of dead motorcyclists on the M6 who ride on their spirit Kawasaki Ninjas at the dead of night?
It was once explained to me by a nurse ( psycho both by profession and temperament!) that most “ sightings” are the brain running at a fast idle but not “ in gear” . A surgestion either consciously planted ( an overheard tale) or sometimes just a smell which reminds you of a place that you heard a tale about. Can be enough for the brain to construct utterly believable images.and as it’s your whole cortex doing the visualising it can rope in all your other senses ( temp, sound etc) not just visual.
I was brought up in a 16 c pub and then a big old 18 c farmhouse that creaked like a ship in a storm. Never had a bad vibe.
When domestic animals freak out though when you are spooked, that I have difficulty explaining.

It was once explained to me by a nurse ( psycho both by profession and temperament!) that most “ sightings” are the brain running at a fast idle but not “ in gear” . A surgestion either consciously planted ( an overheard tale) or sometimes just a smell which reminds you of a place that you heard a tale about. Can be enough for the brain to construct utterly believable images.and as it’s your whole cortex doing the visualising it can rope in all your other senses ( temp, sound etc) not just visual.
I was brought up in a 16 c pub and then a big old 18 c farmhouse that creaked like a ship in a storm. Never had a bad vibe.
When domestic animals freak out though when you are spooked, that I have difficulty explaining.
I read somewhere that on one of the Indonesian islands hit by the 2004 Tsunami, no dead cats or dogs were found. They had, allegedly, sensed it coming and headed for the high ground at a rate of knots.

Not happened personally. but when my wife's beloved father died, she reckoned he came and comforted her.

We later heard that the evil bitch of a sister, who helped in his demise, came home that night to find pictures and furniture had been moved about......

Once upon an evening, I had arrived home from school, as usual. Off the bus at 4:50 walk half a mile home, let dog out, light fire start peeling veg for dinner.
I only had a key for the front door, which was a Yale lock, and so once dog and I were back in house, all was secure.
So, in kitchen, sorting spuds out for dinner, as I had let dog out and lit fire, all is well.
A loud knock is heard at the back door.
Dog growls and looks at door.
I have no key to open it.
I look out of the window next to the door - nothing there.
Another set of loud knocks heard.
I manage to ignore these and wait for parents and siblings to arrive.
Dog continued staring and growling at door.
I have no explanation but I know I heard what I heard.
Not a windy day.

I remember once getting an explanation of ‘ghosts’ that was generally something like this

Walls, or other physical item like abandoned buildings, configurations of rocks/trees have an electromagnetic field that basically ‘captures’ A snapshot image (either static or like a movie image)( sort of how old school cameras used to work) and given certain conditions replays it - sort of like a natural hologram/ movie.

It was much better explained, and somehow is quite comforting.

It may or may not be bollocks.

Personally, I’m a big believer in the paranormal. But that may be wishful thinking rather than a genuine belief.

Oh, and there’s an old lady, clad in shadow, that stands at the foot of my bed while I sleep sometimes. Creepy as fick, but nothing bad ever happens so I just ignore it now ....