When the hairs on the back of your neck tingle

Following on from my post above, about my dad's 'experience', he first told me about this, over thirty years ago. When I was 14 or maybe 15 years old. Admittedly; it is not a story, that he has ever spoken about when he is sober, but he maintains to this day, that the voice, that he heard shout out to him to 'move right' was that of his nan!
My wife would be quite comfortable with that. But, she is the family Scary Spice.

My wife would be quite comfortable with that. But, she is the family Scary Spice.
Mate, if you asked my dad about it, he'd just laugh it off, and put it down to him having the jitters.

Nope, never.
I've been in supposedly "haunted houses", "haunted castles" and been involved in many people "passing away" (I used to work in a hospital). Never felt anything. The only time the hairs on the back of my neck began to tingle was the time I was playing with electricity, and while touching a dead cable (sitting on thick cardboard, wearing rubber-soled boots and leather working gloves) I did indeed feel the hairs rise on my neck. And my arms, legs and head.
The fücking cable was live.

On the morning of the August 31st 1997 I dreamt I was chasing a beautiful lady through a dark tunnel. When I awoke I was soaking wet and my pyjamas were covered in ectoplasm ( a mysterious fluid that facilitates communication between this world and the next).

It was then my wife told me that Princess Diana had died, after being chased through a tunnel.

On the morning of the 11th September 2001 I awoke, perspiring heavily from a dream at precisely 9.11am. The duvet was, once again stuck to me due to an emission of ectoplasm.

I had dreamt about a foreign looking man feeding his 6 month old foreign looking child. He had a spoonful of baby food and would say, "here comes the airplane." But then he would smear it all over the baby's face, making explosion noises.

Then I heard about a plane crashing into the twin towers.

Shortly thereafter my wife left me for a driving instructor.

In the early hours of the 24th June 2016 I dreamt again. This time I was in a swimming pool and I was surrounded by attractive young women, splashing around and enjoying themselves. Suddenly a group of foreign looking men entered the pool and began emptying their bowels, much to everyones horror.
At precisely 5.15am I sat bolt upright in bed perspiring heavily. Ectoplasm had been splashed up the walls to such an extent it had discoloured the paint work.

According to my (second) wife, I then shouted out the word BREXIT so loudly my neighbours became concerned.

I then lay back down and was unable to be woken for several days.

I think we all know what happened next.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Holy crap.
Nearest I get to that is lifting the throttle when "something" tells me there is Traffic Fed car around. I think that probably happens to many though...just a "sense" of what's around the corner.
Oddly (make of this what anyone will) the only time I look at the digital clock in the bedroom is when it's at 21.21 precisely. No reason, no trigger, no habitual habit. Just...odd.
I’ve got a similar thing going on with the number 1537.

**** knows why but I look at the clock every single day at 15:37. If I try and trick it, I end up seeing something else that says 1537, like the timer on the oven or mileage on the car. If I’m in a different time zone I still look at 15:37.

Coincidentally the HAC (my old regiment) was formed in 1537. There have been loads of other times the number has randomly popped up in my life. For a while when I was in the RN I used to take home £1537 a month after tax.

No idea what it means.

**** knows why but I look at the clock every single day at 15:37. If I try and trick it, I end up seeing something else that says 1537, like the timer on the oven or mileage on the car. If I’m in a different time zone I still look at 15:37.

Coincidentally the HAC (my old regiment) was formed in 1537. There have been loads of other times the number has randomly popped up in my life. For a while when I was in the RN I used to take home £1537 a month after tax.

No idea what it means.
Well they did remove part of your brain !!

Spooky stuff? Happens to me all the time, always has. More examples than you want to mention. You learn to trust your intuition.

Last time:
I had left a candle in the office while I went home for the night. Normal thing, especially in mossie weather.
Went home for supper. Tired, stretched out watching the TV before hauling self to bed. It's after 01.00. (I work late.)
Insistent voice in head, well not a voice but a presentiment that was clear.
Now I was tired, it could have waited till the morning, and I remembered I hadn't left the candle in its usual place.
But the feeling persisted. So I hauled on jeans went out, got bike and pedalled off as its close.
Arrived and saw the candle had burnt badly and if I had left it overnight in the place it was might have caused a fire. Now with no-one there, two old ladies living in the flats above it might have been serious. Plus, no office no income.
Moved candle, feeling of urgency stopped.
Went home and crawled into pit.

Like I say, one in a long list.

No idea what it means.
Be very worried on First of May 2037.

Good point. @Ravers. You are going to be on my 'to peg it' list for that year. Hope that you don't mind bud.:)

I was at a house party in the US, they were rich enough and the house was big enough to have a lift, the host gave us a tour finishing on the top floor, then said "we'll take the lift down and get some more drinks". Six of us got in, as soon as I got in I knew something bad was going to happen, but I didn't have time to say anything, the host pressed the down button and the thing just dropped 3 floors, as it was falling I heard a voice in my head tell me to bend my hips and knees, I would swear that it wasn't my voice or thought. My thoughts were "shit we're going down" then the voice telling me to bend knees, then me: "**** this is going to hurt", then we landed, there were assorted injuries, a badly broke femur, broken ankles etc, all I got was a couple of cuts on my head from a broken mirror.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I had considered that.

Might also win the euromillions on that day though.

Will buy a lottery ticket online and stay indoors all day just in case.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Doing some research a few years back, I was in conversation with a lady in N.S.W. dont know how it came up, but she mentioned having a great uncle buried in Flanders
I aksed if she had ever visited, and she said no, nobody from her family had ever been, its so far
they have a few photographs of his grave marker, and some newspaper cuttings but thats it
I said oddly I am in France in a few weeks and will go and visit and tell you about it
she was worried about the expense !! but I pointed out it would make the trip interesting and it would be a pleasure
So with my Father and my Cousin we explored the area, its called Bethleem farm West
whilst there I took some pictures and left some information in the graves registration book, and we also visited the town museum, the pictures were ok and she loved them, also I wrote a letter telling her about the location what it looks like today and enclosed a few other images
however they were not the best quality
so last year I took my elderly parents to the remembrance service at Leper, and on the Sunday we visited Mesen again
my mother stayed in the car as it was cold, and I assisted my brother with the big camera and tripod and stuff to take lots of images that could be stitched together to make a panorama
when we got back to the car, my mother asked who the man was accompanying us ??
both my brother an I felt the hairs go up on our necks
at first I thought she was joking
we had not told her why we stopped there only that he wished to take a few pictures
she said a tall chap wearing a greatcoat and a cap had walked across the field to join us and stood behind us as we took the photos, and she presumed he was chatting, as we left he walked over to the cross and was standing looking across the fields
I can assure you that nobody came near us, the field was full of crops ,
When I told the lady in Oz she said that was exactly how her great uncle looked in the family photos
Tom was 38 when he died and had already fought in the Boer war, was a well know cricketer and boxer, and insisted on joining up and being a father figure to the young lads joining up to fight
it was with a little trepidation that I viewed the images, but nothing shows up on them
just thought I would add these
159.JPG
Stevenson #8 (2).jpg
Stevenson #9 (2).jpg

164.JPG

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Worst for me... When your child, tells you in their cot, after putting them to bed.. "That a bad monster was chased away by angels" and then starts pointing at the angels. Nowt there, but didn't I have that feeling. Told the wife and she went into a meltdown.
Too much Monsters Inc. One of the best kids films ever. Did you check the wardrobe?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think I mentioned on the haunted barracks thread that I’m still not convinced about ghosts.

When I was a kid my mum span me shit dits about gran’s house having a scary lady ghost that used to go up and down the stairs and allegedly my grandfather sold a very nice house in Belsize Park because there were strange goings on there.

When I was about 10 years old we moved into a red brick 1970s house. It looked exactly like Brookside. Throughout my early teens I used to think there was something in this house, I’d always see a movement out of the corner of my eye and then when I’d turn it’d be gone.

My mum, sister and step dad all reckon they used to see it too. Of course the imagination ran wild and over time we’ve all convinced eachother that the house was haunted and my mum (who is a safeguard loon) has even given it a name and back story.

Was probably just the shadow of a ******* tree blowing in the wind or some shit or just the direction that the house was pointing.

The thing is, I now live in a proper old Manor House. They reckon it was built in 1610 but bits of it date back much further than that. There has been a house on this site since Roman times.

We know a fair bit of the history. A mad earl lived here who kept his dead mistress in a glass lidded coffin, there have been murders in this house and countless people have lived and died here over the years. There is even a room where two brothers had a duel and the door was sealed up for over 200 years to contain the hatred of the brothers.

You’d think if any place had an excuse to be haunted it’d be this gaff. But I’ve lived here 7 years and haven’t heard a squeak. Literally nothing. No weird noises, no objects moving of their own accord, no creepy shadows, no pets going schizo at nothing.

Likewise I know the previous occupants who lived here for over 25 years. They said the same.

Our pub is on the claimed site of the last battle on English soil (Clifton Moor 1745). There is a big oak tree out the back and 12 Scottish rebels who either died in the battle or were executed shortly after it are buried at the base of it. This isn’t a legend, archeologists have examined the graves and confirmed it’s legit. Anyway the long and the short of it is there are 12 dead jocks buried in the pub car park.

Now I used to run the bar here which meant I’d lock up most nights and be the last man out. Pretty much every night I used to wander around where these blokes are buried at around 1 or 2am. I even slept in my car a couple of times after having a few drinks, which was parked directly above where they’re buried.

Never saw, heard or felt a thing.

Also why are ghosts always of old soldiers or priests or women in flowing Victorian dresses?

It’s because it’s bollox that’s why. Our imaginations conjur up images of what we think ghosts should look like.

Why are there no spooky ghosts of dead motorcyclists on the M6 who ride on their spirit Kawasaki Ninjas at the dead of night?

I think I mentioned on the haunted barracks thread that I’m still not convinced about ghosts.

When I was a kid my mum span me shit dits about gran’s house having a scary lady ghost that used to go up and down the stairs and allegedly my grandfather sold a very nice house in Belsize Park because there were strange goings on there.

When I was about 10 years old we moved into a red brick 1970s house. It looked exactly like Brookside. Throughout my early teens I used to think there was something in this house, I’d always see a movement out of the corner of my eye and then when I’d turn it’d be gone.

My mum, sister and step dad all reckon they used to see it too. Of course the imagination ran wild and over time we’ve all convinced eachother that the house was haunted and my mum (who is a safeguard loon) has even given it a name and back story.

Was probably just the shadow of a ******* tree blowing in the wind or some shit or just the direction that the house was pointing.

The thing is, I now live in a proper old Manor House. They reckon it was built in 1610 but bits of it date back much further than that. There has been a house on this site since Roman times.

We know a fair bit of the history. A mad earl lived here who kept his dead mistress in a glass lidded coffin, there have been murders in this house and countless people have lived and died here over the years. There is even a room where two brothers had a duel and the door was sealed up for over 200 years to contain the hatred of the brothers.

You’d think if any place had an excuse to be haunted it’d be this gaff. But I’ve lived here 7 years and haven’t heard a squeak. Literally nothing. No weird noises, no objects moving of their own accord, no creepy shadows, no pets going schizo at nothing.

Likewise I know the previous occupants who lived here for over 25 years. They said the same.

Our pub is on the claimed site of the last battle on English soil (Clifton Moor 1745). There is a big oak tree out the back and 12 Scottish rebels who either died in the battle or were executed shortly after it are buried at the base of it. This isn’t a legend, archeologists have examined the graves and confirmed it’s legit. Anyway the long and the short of it is there are 12 dead jocks buried in the pub car park.

Now I used to run the bar here which meant I’d lock up most nights and be the last man out. Pretty much every night I used to wander around where these blokes are buried at around 1 or 2am. I even slept in my car a couple of times after having a few drinks, which was parked directly above where they’re buried.

Never saw, heard or felt a thing.

Also why are ghosts always of old soldiers or priests or women in flowing Victorian dresses?

It’s because it’s bollox that’s why. Our imaginations conjur up images of what we think ghosts should look like.

Why are there no spooky ghosts of dead motorcyclists on the M6 who ride on their spirit Kawasaki Ninjas at the dead of night?
It's said that if you stand on the road between Hameln and Rinteln at midnight you can hear the sound of a bus-load of nurses...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk