When the hairs on the back of your neck tingle

Not me but the late Mother_mush;

As a 13 year old I used to skive off school a lot, inventing mystery illnesses that convinced my mum that I needed a day off. One day I'd pulled this trick sucessfully mid morning she said that we were goin into the town centre for some shopping, or 'to get the rations' as was the phrase then. We'd done this before and the usual plan was she'd take the short route down some footpaths with my two youngest brothers, one in a pushchair, and I'd take the scenic route on my bike and we'd meet at the shops in town.

That day she got about a 1/4 of the way there by the footpath route, then suddenly turned around and headed to where I'd taken then scenic route. She found me about 3/4 mile futher on. I'd been hit by a car as I crossed a main road. The bike had gone under the car and was later found to have a bent front wheel and handlebars. I'd gone over the car and was lying a pool of blood with a smashed femur, tibia, fibula and fairly decent head injuries. A passing car had stopped but in the days before mobile phones, the driver had had to run 1/4mile to the nearest house to call an ambulance.

I can't remember anything other than stepping off the curb, then waking up 6 days later in hospital in traction, in agony, and with a priest at the end of the bed. I spent 4 months there and when I eventually came out I had a right leg 1/2inch shorter than the left, my right knee an inch higher than my left. partial paralysis on the right side of my face, conductive deafness of the right ear and an inability to close my right eye.

Eventually I made a decent recovery. My body adapted to the leg imbalance, my paralysis pretty much went - although I still have the deafness, a lazy right eye and a crooked smile. But my mother always said she never knew, as to why she turned around that day.

Slight thread drift, but even with those injuries I still passed the medical for RCB as it was in those days. How standards have risen.

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
I remember freaking the ex out once, just after she'd got in from work. Watching Noel Tiny Beard on Chamnel 4, Deal or No Deal when it was fairly new on TV.

Started off quite innocently as each player went to open their box. "I reckon 10p". Boom! 10p it was. "well done", she says, like I'd finally remembered to brush my skid marks off the pan afterwards.

"red, 3 grand this time". Boom, again! Red £3k it was.

"OK you're scaring me now..."
"You're scared? I'm freaking out here"

I got a couple wrong, but down to the very last couple of boxes, even predicted the "no swap". Proper messed with her head.

Every now and then she'd tell her mates when we were out & about. My "sixth sense" indeed.

Never told her we'd been watching Channel 4 +1 and that her husband was a proper sad c**t who'd just sat through two hours of Noel Edmunds for sh*ts and giggles.

!
Ladies & Gents
Most people have their own opinions on sixth sense (not the BFG-based rag!), or ESP, or whatever you might want to call it, but has anyone had any examples of when you know something isn't quite right, you can't put a finger on why, and you are eventually proven correct? I personally refer to it as "the hair on the back of my neck tingling", I am perfectly aware that there are proven neuorological explanations for the phenomenon of "deja-vu", but this I think is slightly different.

If I can cite a few examples:

Years ago, I had parked my dog outside a supermarket and as I was going around the place, I got an extremely strong urge to chin off the shopping and get back to the car. I cut my shop-ex off early, paid for my basket of stuff, and as I got out to where I'd left the dog on the lead, there she was being led away by some gyppo kids from the local "traveller site". I nearly lamped the little c@nts.

Again, years ago, I was in a tempestuous relationship with one of the Province's daughters. Tall, intelligent, killer smile, but could be Satan's Dobermann when the mood took her. Over the course of a long hot summer I began to get the impression that something wasn't right but I couldn't nail down exactly what. We were still sleeping together, holidaying together, I'd met her extended family in Larne, but something wasn't ringing true. One evening, as I was on the phone to her, I clicked that the reason for this might be the fact that one of our mutual friends from her home town had moved to her area and I knew that they'd "been in touch". I was talking to her landline - landline, and I picked up my mobile and rung his number - funnily enough, I could hear it in the background of the landline. I left them to it.

I was in the cadets whilst at school (late 1980s), and one summer camp I was detailed to do some work on a cadre with another senior cadet form a nearby Company. I NB'ed from the get-go that there was something awry with this lad, but I couldn't pin down what it was. I made the point to the CFAV running our cadre that I didn't think this bloke was right, but was told "Crack on, Lofty". How my chin hit the floor when, on the second last day of said summer camp, this lad was recalled home by his parents, as the local police wanted to interview him about a particularly serious indecent assault on a minor.

Anyone else got any examples of "the hairs on the back of the neck tingling" and there subsequently being some grounds to it?
you were in Larne ? are you feeling better now, the shame of it !

I don't much go in for anything I cannot explain myself, which is a pretty daft attitude.
However.....back in the late 70's my poor Mum, who was a concert & church pianist/orgnanist at the time and a music teacher ended up with severe athritis in both knees and hands, which had taken on the appearance of a claw on the left hand. The pain was obvious. Somehow she got in tow with a member of the congregation who insisted she went to a well known "faith" healer.
Mum likened the "laying on of hands" as having a hot water bottle placed on top of each hand.
There was no mumbo jumbo verbals involved, just intense concentration. Not sure what my (by then deceased) GP Dad would have said.

My wife & I went with her for several sessions as I felt very cynical & protective but by around 6 months or so, the swellings went down, her joints returned to full capacity, and she lived well and active for another 24 years.
She was also told by this healer to get down to her GP asap for a health check. It turned out there was a pre-cancer cyst behind her upper bowel which was dealt with. Mum went on to teach & play into her early 80's.
That's the absolute truth guys. It was witnessed by many.
My wife's Highland mother was a recognised seer, as was her own mother. That's another matter. She was very reserved and quiet...just as well.

SWMBO is also reserved, quiet, extremely observant, and aware there are certain things that she has reckonings with that I don't want to know. She keeps a diary and so many times over 44 years of being with her opened it to reveal what happened, she saw well in advance including the early demise of our Godson.
Sometimes it's best not to look for answers to things beyond our personal scopes and "gifts"...for me anyhow as I find it a bit disquieting.

Last edited:
Anyone else got any examples of "the hairs on the back of the neck tingling" and there subsequently being some grounds to it?
Seems to happen every couple of months. I get a tingling sensation then, as suddenly as it started, it stops.

Spookily, the sensation stopping seems to coincide with getting my hair cut.

I suppose that someone has to mention a 'Guardian Angel' type of moment here; so it may as well be me, with the story about the time that my dad found God - well for a week at least!
My dad was on - what he told me, was a typical run of the mill type of patrol in the Andersontown area of Belfast in 1973.
He said that there were none of the usual combat indicators that trouble was brewing, but that he had a 'real bad feeling' all of that day.
Dad told me that when they were approaching a certain road junction, he became 'hyper aware' (and he said that the hairs on the back of his neck, literally stood up), a voice in his head, then told him to move right, which he did. He told me that he then remembered hearing a burst of fire from the front.
According to dad, there were two bullet holes in the wall, near where he had been walking seconds before.

I suppose that someone has to mention a 'Guardian Angel' type of moment here; so it may as well be me, with the story about the time that my dad found God - well for a week at least!
My dad was on - what he told me, was a typical run of the mill type of patrol in the Andersontown area of Belfast in 1973.
He said that there were none of the usual combat indicators that trouble was brewing, but that he had a 'real bad feeling' all of that day.
Dad told me that when they were approaching a certain road junction, he became 'hyper aware' (and he said that the hairs on the back of his neck, literally stood up), a voice in his head, then told him to move right, which he did. He told me that he then remembered hearing a burst of fire from the front.
According to dad, there were two bullet holes in the wall, near where he had been walking seconds before.
Holy crap.
Nearest I get to that is lifting the throttle when "something" tells me there is Traffic Fed car around. I think that probably happens to many though...just a "sense" of what's around the corner.
Oddly (make of this what anyone will) the only time I look at the digital clock in the bedroom is when it's at 21.21 precisely. No reason, no trigger, no habitual habit. Just...odd.

June 88, me in Welling 04:30 phone went. Dad's in Hospital had a stroke. Mrs LRM made me some sandwich and a flask of tea. set off about five, Scots corner by One refueled,got to Perth Murray Royal about half six. Saw Mum and got into see the old man. Completely out, gave him a kiss, eyes flickered, sat by his bed for about half an hour finally noted Mum was dog tired. Told her nothing we could do she needed rest. Followed up A9 home,door opens phone rings. It's the Hospital. He's gone. Bugger had waited for me, sure of it. Does it for me 30years on

Last edited:
June 88, me in Welling 04:30 phone went. Dad's in Hospital had a stroke. Mrs LRM made me some sandwich and a flask of tea. set off about five, Scots corner by One refueled,got to Perth Murray Royal about half six. Saw Mum and got into see the old man. Completely out, gave him a kiss, eyes flickered, sat by his bed for about half an hour finally noted Mum was dog tired. Told her nothing we could do she needed rest. Followed up A9 home,door opens phone rings. It's the Hospital. He's gone. Bugger had waited for me, sure of it. Does it for me 30years on
He just loved you.
Simple. Sometimes no need for words.

He just loved you.
Simple. Sometimes no need for words.
Following on from my post above, about my dad's 'experience', he first told me about this, over thirty years ago. When I was 14 or maybe 15 years old. Admittedly; it is not a story, that he has ever spoken about when he is sober, but he maintains to this day, that the voice, that he heard shout out to him to 'move right' was that of his nan!

On the beach at Southsea once, it being a pebbled beach we found some fired clay pieces that had numbers stamped into them. *

Several years later whilst at the same location I said to my missus, last time I was here I found these weird clay pieces with numbers on them. As I finished saying it I looked down and there was one right next to my foot, resting against the edge of my shoe.

Not particularly spooky but what are the odds of that happening.

*I've since discovered it to be part of an art project.
Not quite one million pebbles | The Ranger's Blog

Worst for me... When your child, tells you in their cot, after putting them to bed.. "That a bad monster was chased away by angels" and then starts pointing at the angels. Nowt there, but didn't I have that feeling. Told the wife and she went into a meltdown.
That'll teach you to put the LSD out their reach!