When should I head down the careers office?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Empty_Vacuum, Nov 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    I'm new to posting on these forums although I have been lurking around reading posts for quite a while. Anyway I was wondering if anyone on here could help.

I'm currently 15 and in my last year of compulsory education. When I finish I plan on going onto AS/A Level and then on to a Degree. I plan on joining the Army as an Officer. What I want to know is when should I go along to my local careers office and 'get the ball rolling'. I've heard from a few friends that they will only talk to you once you're 16 but I highly doubt this? Any useful help would be much appreciated,
  2. When it is open would possibly be a good time.
  3. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Any other smart answers in your repertoire that you would like to share with us?
  4. a degree? you dont need a degree to become a officer :)
  5. Empty, why don't you look into going to Wellbeck?
  6. I know you don't need one but i would like to go to university for five reasons:
    1) You get paid more :roll:
    2) The social life
    3) I want to study history and I enjoy learning about it
    4) I'll be the only one from my family to go
    5) I'll get slightly more life experience (yes even if its a bad one)
  7. No offence to any of the corps but I'm not really interested in a job in them. I'm also not to happy about not being able to do history at university as you can only do engineering or managment.
  8. not intrested in any jobs in the corps? So if you become a officer, what do you want to do?
  9. Confused.
  10. You're possibly too late for Wellbeck. Get yourself down the careers office in Jan, once you've got your predicted GCSE grades. You can apply to join the Army at 15 years and 7 months.
  11. Ah I just realised what I wrote. I meant to say I wasn't interested the RE,REME, RLC, or the Signals. I'm still not quite sure what I want to do but I'm thinking along the lines of a combat role.
  12. Possibly something starting with "In" and ending in "fantry". Then there's armour, HAC...

Go to the AFCO as soon as possible, as you may be eligible to apply for a bursary for your time at uni, and they may be able to advise you about TA local to the university which you may be interested in.
  13. i was going to go to uni too to study criminology and psychology while doing TA then apply for officer once i finished my degree

but now im going straight in as a reg and i want to show i have officer material and hopefuly be able to apply and doing that way

14. There are different recruiting ages for different jobs/roles but it won't hurt to go down to your AFCO and just talk to them, if you can't start the application at least you'll have an idea of what you need to get done.