When Mr Cameron Said . . .

Sven said:
It's called the Military Covenant, and Mr Brown, I believe your government has broken it."
What must He do in a new Conservative government to make it fit for purpose?
Linky?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7026435.stm

BRITISH TROOPS

"In this world of danger and insecurity, we need to recognise again that the old politics is failing. Yes, we've changed some things since 9/11, but we haven't changed enough. And our prime minister likes to say that nothing in Britain is broken, but I would refer him to a piece of paper which is all about the sacrifices our troops are prepared to make on our behalf - including the ultimate sacrifice - and our duties and obligations to them. It's called the Military Covenant, and Mr Brown, I believe your government has broken it."

Crabby_Patty said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7026435.stm

BRITISH TROOPS

"In this world of danger and insecurity, we need to recognise again that the old politics is failing. Yes, we've changed some things since 9/11, but we haven't changed enough. And our prime minister likes to say that nothing in Britain is broken, but I would refer him to a piece of paper which is all about the sacrifices our troops are prepared to make on our behalf - including the ultimate sacrifice - and our duties and obligations to them. It's called the Military Covenant, and Mr Brown, I believe your government has broken it."
Many Thanks.

Just what I had when I was in really.

Good pension and good medical support.

edit to remove mong message

Sven said:
It's called the Military Covenant, and Mr Brown, I believe your government has broken it."
What must He do in a new Conservative government to make it fit for purpose?
Raise pay scales to a decent level to aid recruitment and retention
Recruit
refurbish ALL substandard accomodation,
Recruit, Recruit
issue decent equipment (bought off the shelf if necessary)......
Recruit, Recruit, Recruit
Increase establishment levels to a minumum of 42 Infantry Battalions, with all the support neededs ...
Did I say Recruit????

There's probably loads more .... but start with the basics!

FrankIG said:
Raise pay scales to a decent level,
Nothing wrong with the pay as far as I'm concerned.

FrankIG said:
refurbish ALL substandard accomodation,
The problem with good accomodation is that you have to pay for it.

FrankIG said:
issue decent equipment (bought off the shelf if necessary)......
We had crap equipment when I was first in (58 Pat webbing, tin hat etc...), having said that we didn't have any major wars other than Ireland.

FrankIG said:
Recruit, Recruit, Recruit to raise numbers ... increase establishment levels to a minumum of 42 Infantry Battallions, with all the support neededons ...
Which means more time at home for the troops, more retention, self fulfilling really, agreed.

Maybe somone on his team reads arrse:

David Cameron said:
But I think the key principal that we must apply to these great challenges in our dangerous and insecure world is keeping our defences strong. I have been to Afghanistan twice, and spent a night under canvas in Camp Bastion. I remember sitting in a room with a whole lot of guys from the Worcester and Sherwood Foresters and asking them how many had fired their gun in battle. Every single hand, almost every single hand went up.

We need to understand the incredible bravery of what our soldiers are doing in Helmand province. But again in a world of danger and insecurity, we need to recognise again that the old politics is failing. Yes, we have changed some things since 9/11 but we haven't changed enough.

And our prime minister likes to say that nothing in Britain is broken but I would refer him to a piece of paper which is all about the sacrifices our troops are prepared to make on our behalf, including the ultimate sacrifice and our duties and obligations to them.

It's called the Military Covenant and Mr Brown, I believe your government has broken it.

There are things we could do, quite small things, that would make a difference. If you sit in the back of a Hercules at Kandahar air base or Bastion as I have done, you will hear soldiers telling you about some of the smaller things. Why don't we get more contact time with home via telephone and e-mail?

Why can't we have free parcels all year round, not just at Christmas time? Why can't we have the same system as the Americans where your leave starts the moment you step foot on American soil rather than when you actually leave Camp Bastion in the middle of Afghanistan.

All we need for these things is just a government that values our military properly, rolls up its sleeves and gets them done. But there are bigger things. We have got to look at the schools they send their children to. Many of them, the children come and go within a year but they don't get the extra funding that they need.

We have got to look at the housing, so much of which is completely sub-standard. And yes, we have got to look at the health care. I know our soldiers want to come home to a great British hospital and in Birmingham they do.

But when you are wounded on a battlefield in Helmand one day and you wake up next day in a hospital you want to recuperate with your comrades in arms and that must mean a separate military ward.

But there is something else that we need to understand and that is that we will never be able to really improve the welfare of our forces unless we also look at expanding our Army. I am delighted that Liam has made his priority restoring those cuts to the Army, the three battalions that should never have been abolished by this government.

But I think that the most important change that we need to make, the most important Conservative principal we need to apply to our foreign and defence policy, is to make sure that we are realistic and not utopian.

Yes, we support freedom, yes we support democracy, yes we should try to punch above our weight in the world to achieve these things. But I think that if we have learnt anything over the last five years, it's that you cannot drop a fully formed democracy out of an aeroplane at 40,000 feet.

And I want people to know that if I am a prime minister in one month or one year, my top priority overseas would be Afghanistan. We are doing fantastic work in that country. Our troops are incredibly brave but my worry is that we could win the military campaign but start to loose the country.

How can we win an insurgency when there are seven different military chains of command? How can we rebuild a country when we don't have one person coordinating the aid between the EU, NATO and the UN? How can we really help a people when the country is still so awash with drugs and has so much corruption?

We really need to make this our number one priority. And I tell you why. If we get out of Afghanistan the Taliban come back into Afghanistan and Al Qaeda and that will mean danger and terrorism on British streets again.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/7026435.stm

Cameron - Liar
Brown - Liar
Campbell - Can't Remember How To Lie - Alzheimers.

David Cameron said:
We have got to look at the schools they send their children to. Many of them, the children come and go within a year but they don't get the extra funding that they need.

We have got to look at the housing, so much of which is completely sub-standard. And yes, we have got to look at the health care.

....we will never be able to really improve the welfare of our forces unless we also look at expanding our Army.

....make sure that we are realistic and not utopian.
Riiiiiight.....so he's saying that he will have to look at lots of things. Funnily enough I thought that since he was opposition leader he would perhaps already have looked at those things and had at least one or two answers, or at the very least suggestions. It's like a set of orders with a background / scenario brief and a very very vague mission, but no concept of ops, execution phase or even commander's intent.

In short this bloke is an empty vessel, a perfect celebrity politician for an age where the public worship people like Jordan, Sharon Osbourne, Jade Goody and so on. He has no policies, only some vague assertations that he will "look at it" sometime. He claimed to have slept under canvas in Bastion! Really? Canvas? Fcuking nobber.

He then goes about rescuing Afghanistan and says why. Because the nasty men will come here and endanger the home counties and his dear mama (ok it's understandable), but he doesn't offer anything at all about how this might be achieved! It's another "Trust me, I'll look at it later". He doesn't have any ideas. He even caveats it all at the end and says they will need to "....make sure that we are realistic and not utopian". Ha ha - brilliant - we'll look at it eventually but we can't promise that we'll do anything because we haven't actually studied anything in depth, as we've been busy. It would be laughable if he wasn't the leader of the opposition and supposed to stop our country being an undemocratic one-party state.

Who would possibly vote for someone who can't even articulate a single solution? He couln't rescue Britain....David Cameron couldn't organise the fire picquet in Penhale Camp on the off-season. Smarmy cnut.

PoisonDwarf said:
David Cameron said:
We have got to look at the schools they send their children to. Many of them, the children come and go within a year but they don't get the extra funding that they need.

We have got to look at the housing, so much of which is completely sub-standard. And yes, we have got to look at the health care.

....we will never be able to really improve the welfare of our forces unless we also look at expanding our Army.

....make sure that we are realistic and not utopian.
Riiiiiight.....so he's saying that he will have to look at lots of things. Funnily enough I thought that since he was opposition leader he would perhaps already have looked at those things and had at least one or two answers, or at the very least suggestions. It's like a set of orders with a background / scenario brief and a very very vague mission, but no concept of ops, execution phase or even commander's intent.

In short this bloke is an empty vessel, a perfect celebrity politician for an age where the public worship people like Jordan, Sharon Osbourne, Jade Goody and so on. He has no policies, only some vague assertations that he will "look at it" sometime. He claimed to have slept under canvas in Bastion! Really? Canvas? Fcuking nobber.

He then goes about rescuing Afghanistan and says why. Because the nasty men will come here and endanger the home counties and his dear mama (ok it's understandable), but he doesn't offer anything at all about how this might be achieved! It's another "Trust me, I'll look at it later". He doesn't have any ideas. He even caveats it all at the end and says they will need to "....make sure that we are realistic and not utopian". Ha ha - brilliant - we'll look at it eventually but we can't promise that we'll do anything because we haven't actually studied anything in depth, as we've been busy. It would be laughable if he wasn't the leader of the opposition and supposed to stop our country being an undemocratic one-party state.

Who would possibly vote for someone who can't even articulate a single solution? He couln't rescue Britain....David Cameron couldn't organise the fire picquet in Penhale Camp on the off-season. Smarmy cnut.

He also said he would restore 3 Battalions in the cut that should never have happened.

But hey, you stick with Cyclops, he really likes you lot you know. He is someone you really can depend on.

He also said he would restore 3 Battalions in the cut that should never have happened.
Just because he said he'd restore 3 Battalions doesn't actually mean he'll do it!

Haven't you learnt the rules of the game yet?

The question is not what he promises to do, but if we can find any evidence that he can be trusted to do it. I haven't seen anything but the same old spin; it's unpalatable coming from Labour and it's just as grating (if not worse) when it comes from the toffs at the headshed in the Tory party.

Gentlemen, Gentlemen, the sad truth is that the next election will be between the lessers of two evils.

The fact remains that both parties talk up defence in opposition then run it down when in power.

Howvever on the plus side at least one party is promising a referendum on the EU constitution whilst the other party is not.

If Cyclops signs the EU constitution we lose what little democracy we have left in this country.

Think about that.

Scotty1 said:
it's unpalatable coming from Labour and it's just as grating (if not worse) when it comes from the toffs at the headshed in the Tory party.
Would it be less grating had the leader of the Tory Party had a comprehensive school education? Honestly, give the perceived class thing a rest!

PoisonDwarf said:
Who would possibly vote for someone who can't even articulate a single solution?
So Gordon Brown, purse-string holder for 10 years and now spin-driven leader performs SO much better?! Granted he offers solutions - cuts, cuts, cuts - but distracts you with another little war to fight. You vote for Gordon then PD - at least he's guaranteed to screw you and there's a lot to be said for consistency... :roll:

The_Cad said:
Gentlemen, Gentlemen, the sad truth is that the next election will be between the lessers of two evils.

The fact remains that both parties talk up defence in opposition then run it down when in power.

Howvever on the plus side at least one party is promising a referendum on the EU constitution whilst the other party is not.

If Cyclops signs the EU constitution we lose what little democracy we have left in this country.

Think about that.
ladies also if you please but you are correct that it is the lesser of two evils although i hope the Libs amke gains that bring both left main parties to heel.

I doubt that make in the Daves party realy care that much more about defence or any other part of the public sector than liabour however.

Labour were going to be fecked ...
Consevative were also going to be fecked but chances are might get a beer or at least a reach around!

I do not hold out much hope though for either party to tell the truth that the country is poorly and whilst not broken completly it certainly needs a bandaid and some thoughtfullness?

halo_jones said:
The_Cad said:

Think about that.
ladies also if you please but you are correct that it is the lesser of two evils although i hope the Libs amke gains that bring both left main parties to heel.

I doubt that make in the Daves party realy care that much more about defence or any other part of the public sector than liabour however.

Labour were going to be fecked ...
Consevative were also going to be fecked but chances are might get a beer or at least a reach around!

I do not hold out much hope though for either party to tell the truth that the country is poorly and whilst not broken completly it certainly needs a bandaid and some thoughtfullness?
I apologise... Ladies too of course.. How caddish of me..

Let me make it up to you by taking you for dinner m'dear..

:D
It needs honesty, a characteristic sadly lacking amongst most of the inept, corrupt and self serving bunch of parliamentarians we are sadly lumbered with.

The only convictions most of them have are criminal ones.

More to the point, he is trying to address R&R, parcels and basic things. We mank when this doesn't get mentioned, now the leader of the opposition raises it in the biggest speech of his career, all we can do is err mank?

Would it be less grating had the leader of the Tory Party had a comprehensive school education? Honestly, give the perceived class thing a rest!
It's nothing to do with perceived class. I'd rather then man who's promising me all of this to have the first idea what it's like to live with the problems he's preaching about. I don't see any redeeming features to Mr Eton. Has he ever served his country? Did he ever have to face difficulty in his life? Not a thing. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, the only challenge he's ever had to face is whether or not he'd be dining casual or smart. Even worse for the last ten years he's been preaching the same elitist message the Tories always have until low and behold they realise that unless they change they'll spend other decade in opposition.

It does matter. I'll be the first to list the problems of the Labour lot, but it still doesn't make a vacuous rich more boy any more appealing.

"It's called the Military Covenant and Mr Brown, I believe your government has broken it." - Cameron.

We all know that it is broken, although I have not heard Brown, Browne or Ainsworth recently acknowledging the fact or doing anything about it (eg the recent shi* with the NIMBYs near Headley Court. The Govt should have told the local council to f off and supported the care of soldiers who have been injured fighting on their orders. But it was only when the petition got going and it became a national news story that the NIMBYs backed down.) Whether Cameron is a liar or not at least he has said the right thing - he now needs to do the right thing.

"it's unpalatable coming from Labour and it's just as grating (if not worse) when it comes from the toffs at the headshed in the Tory party. "

Scotty1 WTF are you on about? Why does this always turn into a class thing, and a private education = toff idiot and comp education = sound working class hero? It isn't needed. Concentrate on the real issue - the government is shafting soldiers and you have to decide whether anyone else would do a better job.