When is a rescue not a rescue?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Speedy, Nov 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not to detract from the tragedy of the event here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/6104944.stm

The following statement left me flabbergasted:

Is this so they can get their 'success' stats up?

2. I think the word he was looking for was recovered, not rescued and as for the following
    I would have thought that the firefighters of this country would be ecstatic when they can 'rescue' young children as opposed to recovering the bodies.

I also think its quite sad that people in what you would think are important jobs can't even realise the difference between those two words.

3. When is a rescue not a rescue? When the beeb report it.

A sad story badly reported.

4. Definitely a bad choice of word there.

You would have thought the PR bloke/ spokesman would have put a bit of thought into what he was going to say prior to saying it.

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I rescued an unconcious drowning victim from the bottom of a swimming pool one time, he lived. But apparently I don't get the life-savers medal because I wasn't in any danger.

6. Should have said you cant swim!

7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I can't! Well barely but the pool was about 1m deep where he had passed out so the most dangerous thing I had to do was hold my breath whilst bending over to scoop him up in my arms. His weight was neglible due to the boyancy so I wasn't even in danger of slipping a disc...

Edited to add that: He did p*ss and vom water over me when I brought him around though...

And not that I think it really deserves a gong but he wouldn't be alive and running marathons these days if I hadn't been there..

8. The possible risk of floaters warrants a medal in my opinion.