When is a rescue not a rescue?

I think the word he was looking for was recovered, not rescued and as for the following
"It is tragic for firefighters to be rescuing young children. It will be a tragedy for the local community."
I would have thought that the firefighters of this country would be ecstatic when they can 'rescue' young children as opposed to recovering the bodies.

I also think its quite sad that people in what you would think are important jobs can't even realise the difference between those two words.

When is a rescue not a rescue? When the beeb report it.

A sad story badly reported.

Definitely a bad choice of word there.

You would have thought the PR bloke/ spokesman would have put a bit of thought into what he was going to say prior to saying it.

Mr Happy

LE
I rescued an unconcious drowning victim from the bottom of a swimming pool one time, he lived. But apparently I don't get the life-savers medal because I wasn't in any danger.

Mr Happy said:
I rescued an unconcious drowning victim from the bottom of a swimming pool one time, he lived. But apparently I don't get the life-savers medal because I wasn't in any danger.
Should have said you cant swim!

Mr Happy

LE
sprjim said:
Mr Happy said:
Should have said you cant swim!
I can't! Well barely but the pool was about 1m deep where he had passed out so the most dangerous thing I had to do was hold my breath whilst bending over to scoop him up in my arms. His weight was neglible due to the boyancy so I wasn't even in danger of slipping a disc...

Edited to add that: He did p*ss and vom water over me when I brought him around though...

And not that I think it really deserves a gong but he wouldn't be alive and running marathons these days if I hadn't been there..

The possible risk of floaters warrants a medal in my opinion.