When is a Director's cut...

Q. When is a Director's cut not a Director's cut?

A. When it's got adverts in it!

I'm watching Das Boot, the Director's cut and I feel quite sure that when he made it the Dirtector, didn't think, "If I keep shoving pigging adverts in this film, it will be so much better".

Here's me paying attention to the langueage and sub titles and then my concentration, attention, whatever you want to call it gets spoilt with adverts speaking in English.

'ucking nuisance adverts get everywhere!

You're joking? How could anyone put adverts in that film. It would be like turning a page in the bible and finding a picture of Hello Kitty or Pokemon.

Sacrilege

I saved this to hard disc so I can put it on DVD later. When I cut out the adverts, as I won't want them on a private copy. The result was shortened by a whole 41 minutes! That's a whopping great chunk, even in a four hour time slot, so it can hardly be called a Director's cut...

At least next time I watch this I can just play the disc and be spared the adverts.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Film 4, on which it was shown, I believe, is a commercial channel. ie, it's supported by the showing of commercials.

do you complain about advert breaks on other television channels as well??

Film 4, on which it was shown, I believe, is a commercial channel. ie, it's supported by the showing of commercials.

do you complain about advert breaks on other television channels as well??
It was shown on a free TV channel? Well for sucks sake, what does the OP expect? Gold plated blow jobs and a fried egg by all accounts

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
It was shown on a free TV channel? Well for sucks sake, what does the OP expect? Gold plated blow jobs and a fried egg by all accounts
though not strictly necessary with 'das boot', I can think of a few films where that would improve the viewing experience no end.

How do I get that? I've only got freeview do I need to upgrade?

I've seen more petty winges on ARRSE than this one, but that's not the point. It wasn't just a regular film, it was portrayed as the freshly restored Director's Cut. Something a bit special. But 41 minutes of adverts spoilt that aspect of it. Not only which but the sponsors adverts at both ends of the break, were anoying and crap too.

I watched a restored version of Spartacus the other day and that was pretty good, unfortunately I didn't record it. Still, never mind.

I have bought myself Guns of Navarone / Bridge on the river Kwai / Das Boot DVD triple for me for Christmas. Not long to wait now.
I don't want to spoil this for you, but I just watched this last week an old documentary called The True Story of The Bridge Over The River Kwai. It's completely different to the film, and the Japs were horrid bastards all right!

How do I get that? I've only got freeview do I need to upgrade?

I've seen more petty winges on ARRSE than this one, but that's not the point. It wasn't just a regular film, it was portrayed as the freshly restored Director's Cut. Something a bit special. But 41 minutes of adverts spoilt that aspect of it. Not only which but the sponsors adverts at both ends of the break, were anoying and crap too.

I watched a restored version of Spartacus the other day and that was pretty good, unfortunately I didn't record it. Still, never mind.
I'm on Freesat - a ******* huge 1.2m dish and a 99 quid box from Argos. Your dish will be smaller, I'm right on the edge of the footprint, and technically stealing English telly

I don't want to spoil this for you, but I just watched this last week an old documentary called The True Story of The Bridge Over The River Kwai. It's completely different to the film, and the Japs were horrid bastards all right!
Read "The Railway Man", as mentioned in another thread.

Latest Threads