When is a Director's cut...

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Troy, Oct 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Q. When is a Director's cut not a Director's cut?

A. When it's got adverts in it!

I'm watching Das Boot, the Director's cut and I feel quite sure that when he made it the Dirtector, didn't think, "If I keep shoving pigging adverts in this film, it will be so much better".

Here's me paying attention to the langueage and sub titles and then my concentration, attention, whatever you want to call it gets spoilt with adverts speaking in English.

'ucking nuisance adverts get everywhere!
  2. You're joking? How could anyone put adverts in that film. It would be like turning a page in the bible and finding a picture of Hello Kitty or Pokemon.

3. Actually I think that would improve the bible.
  4. I saved this to hard disc so I can put it on DVD later. When I cut out the adverts, as I won't want them on a private copy. The result was shortened by a whole 41 minutes! That's a whopping great chunk, even in a four hour time slot, so it can hardly be called a Director's cut...

At least next time I watch this I can just play the disc and be spared the adverts.
  5. As I recall, it first came out on TV as a weekly series, so I'm fairly sure it had adverts then.
  6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

Film 4, on which it was shown, I believe, is a commercial channel. ie, it's supported by the showing of commercials.

do you complain about advert breaks on other television channels as well??
  7. Yeah, you got me there. Personally, any bibles I find in hotel rooms, I write a dedication in the front and sign it "god" or "jesus"
    • Like Like x 1
  8. It was shown on a free TV channel? Well for sucks sake, what does the OP expect? Gold plated blow jobs and a fried egg by all accounts
  9. Really?. I Just draw cocks on random pages.
  10. I think "To my greatest fan, like you hope my new novel" written in the front, and adding "... so Jesus and Mary Magdelene must march another day" to the end is more subltle
  11. Is that better than adding "- Alternative Ending" to the front cover title?
  12. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

though not strictly necessary with 'das boot', I can think of a few films where that would improve the viewing experience no end.
  13. I bet the director Woody Allen has been "cut"

Makes me eyes water
  14. I don't know, but I'm going to remember that and bung it in next time
  15. How do I get that? I've only got freeview do I need to upgrade?

I've seen more petty winges on ARRSE than this one, but that's not the point. It wasn't just a regular film, it was portrayed as the freshly restored Director's Cut. Something a bit special. But 41 minutes of adverts spoilt that aspect of it. Not only which but the sponsors adverts at both ends of the break, were anoying and crap too.

I watched a restored version of Spartacus the other day and that was pretty good, unfortunately I didn't record it. Still, never mind.