When Her Majesty passes...

Another issue about this supposed good idea that William should somehow jump the queue and become Sovereign: it would require agreement (and separate local Acts, probably) from Commonwealth Dominions that have the Sovereign as Head of State. Even back in 1936, there was a very heated debate across the empire about the Abdication - forcing a constitutional crisis. It could give rise to a ridiculous situation where some countries (eg Australia and Canada) agree with the queue jumping but others (eg NZ) not.

Whatever happens, a proposal to queue jump would give the vile republicans more ammunition and would ultimately weaken the concept of Monarchy.

If the Queen had handed over to Charles thirty years ago instead of selfishly hanging on into her dotage the age range would be right now for Charles to hand over
And none of this 'should we skip a generation?
Nonsense.

"His Majesty's Declaration of Abdication Act 1936" was written specifically for that Abdication - a one-time use law. I daresay that a new one would be written if Charlie boy were to abdicate.
That’s the point I was going to make when I got back from the shops.
The precedent ( abdication) act in itself set a precedent for one-time use law involving the Monarchy.
Using that as a precedent, and not the actual preceding Act as a precedent, there’s no reason another specific-circumstance law shouldn't be enacted.
No doubt somebody, suitably becoiffed in horsehair, will argue otherwise.

Another issue about this supposed good idea that William should somehow jump the queue and become Sovereign: it would require agreement (and separate local Acts, probably) from Commonwealth Dominions that have the Sovereign as Head of State. Even back in 1936, there was a very heated debate across the empire about the Abdication - forcing a constitutional crisis. It could give rise to a ridiculous situation where some countries (eg Australia and Canada) agree with the queue jumping but others (eg NZ) not.

Whatever happens, a proposal to queue jump would give the vile republicans more ammunition and would ultimately weaken the concept of Monarchy.
Why would the situation be ridiculous? The succession to the throne of Australia (for example) is a matter for the Australian people. If Charles chooses to abdicate, he would separately abdicate all 16 realms ams each require an act of the Australian Parliament to approve it.

There’s no constitutional reason why Charles couldn’t (for example) abdicate the 15 non-UK realms and remain as king of the UK.

Why would the situation be ridiculous? The succession to the throne of Australia (for example) is a matter for the Australian people. If Charles chooses to abdicate, he would separately abdicate all 16 realms ams each require an act of the Australian Parliament to approve it.

There’s no constitutional reason why Charles couldn’t (for example) abdicate the 15 non-UK realms and remain as king of the UK.
It could potentially result in another 'Chanak Crisis' where the response across the Commonwealth is neither uniform nor agreed.

It could potentially result in another 'Chanak Crisis' where the response across the Commonwealth is neither uniform nor agreed.
It’s not a matter for the Commonwealth, which has already decided on its succession; Charles. If Charles were to abdicate, there’s no reason why his successor should be British. There’s also no reason why he shouldn’t remain as head of the Commonwealth even if he weren’t King.

Of the 54 members of the Commonwealth, only 16 have the Queen as head of state. Her position derives from each nation’s individual constitution. Any change to each succession is for the people of each individual realm.

I’m pretty sure an abdication would lead to Australia abandoning its monarchy.

If the Queen had handed over to Charles thirty years ago instead of selfishly hanging on into her dotage the age range would be right now for Charles to hand over
And none of this 'should we skip a generation?
Nonsense.
She couldn't do that then. God bless Her. He was going through His talking to plants, and wanting to be a tampon phase. Couldn't hand over the reins of state to that... :)

Perhaps he could choose something completely radical which would appeal to a certain demographic and would leave a daughter-in-law of his open mouthed and incandescent with rage. I mean how can you accuse King Jamal Snr or perhaps King DiAndre of being part of an institutionally racist plot against her...
King Alf Garnet as a certain ring about it

Actingunpaid

War Hero
Charlie boy getting some training in.

chas.png
chas2.png

Before disability ended my career, Her Majesty's arrival in the chamber was my signal to scoot down to the quadrangle and have my first fag for eight hours behind the state coach.
Being mindful of the reputation of Royal close servants, I take it that you use the word "fag" in the American sense ?

Being mindful of the reputation of Royal close servants, I take it that you use the word "fag" in the American sense ?
Oooh! How very dare you Sir?!
Reminiscent of Her late Majesty the Queen Mother trying to gain attention from her chambers. Eventually, she proceeded to the stairwell from which she could see one of the footmen & other male servants gossiping.
She leaned over the balcony to give the instruction 'Will one of you old queens get this old queen a gin & tonic?'
How true this is, I know not but it is very plausible.

Now the full extent of the preparations undertaken by the royal family and the Cabinet Office’s BRIDGES Secretariat can be revealed for the first time after POLITICO obtained a series of documents laying out in granular detail how Britain will respond when the day comes.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Now the full extent of the preparations undertaken by the royal family and the Cabinet Office’s BRIDGES Secretariat can be revealed for the first time after POLITICO obtained a series of documents laying out in granular detail how Britain will respond when the day comes.

"The prime minister will be the first member of the government to make a statement. All other members of the government will be instructed not to comment until after the PM has spoken."
You can bet Sturgeon will screw this one up.

Apparently there's now a search for the source of the leak...but I have to say, none of it is surprising, just a bit tacky to leak this stuff whilst HM is still in full health...or is she?

Latest Threads