When does walting become illegal?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by REMEbrat, Sep 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know it is illegal to impersonate a member of the forces but actually when does walting become a crime?

I have a full set of CS95 minus any specific regimental decorations but if I was to adorn myself with (for example) The Rifles beret and badges what would I have to do to be arrested for impersonating a member of HM Forces?

2. Behave in a manner, or attempt to carry out a duty normally associated with a member of the armed forces. Like the scouse bloke "Fireman Sham."
    Dress like a soldier = fancy dress
    dress like a soldier in order to deceive others by deed or word =walt
    Probably.

3. why would you want to wear it?? are you a stripper?

4. Be a bit embarassing, one would think.

5. Heard of a Staffie in junior bleeder who was winged and daggered and also claimed to have once been one of 'them'. He got outed and I think sacked.

Could all be a load of bollox though.

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It depends very much on the classifcation of walt we are talking about doesn't it?

As noted in other discussions, there are indeed classes of walt, some more dangerous or annoying than others.

For example, a class 4 walt would not necessarily need to commit an offense in his activities, though he may still be locked up in a mental institution.

7. I think it is legal to wear uniform for re-enactment for instance, BUT I'm sure that the wearing of medals/decorations etc IS illegal.
    I personally disagree strongly about the wearing of 'para-wings' if you have not earned them, which I suppose goes for any hard earned 'trade badge', but it is not illegal, just 'Walty'!!

(PS it took me eight months to earn my RAC 'Gun-Fitter' badge!) :oops:

8. I knew one guy who wore SAS wings, as he had been attached at the Boat House, was really funny when one of the guys who had been with 'them' came back to the Reg, and threatened to put arm with wings on up his arrse.

9. Section 2 of The Uniforms Act 1894 (as amended)

"It shall not be lawful for any person not serving in Her Majesty’s Military Forces to wear without Her Majesty’s permission the uniform of any of those forces, or any dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of any such uniform: Provided that this enactment shall not prevent any persons from wearing any uniform or dress in the course of a stage play performed in a place duly licensed or authorised for the public performance of stage plays, or in the course of a music hall or circus performance, or in the course of any bona fide military representation."

Penalty: £1000 fine

Section 3 of the above act has a penalty of 1 month imprisonment if the wearer "brings contempt upon the uniform"

10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Hmm, so that facks up the paintballing gear then...

11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

On a lighter note, I wonder if any of those PIRA players that used to enjoy bombing around in DPM jackets whilst wearing ski-masks ever got prosecuted for it. Probably not. Shame.

12. Surely the walts have a let out with the "Circus" clause? LOL

13. The day you turn up at the armoury and get out a weapon for guard duty, might get you there.