• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

When does service start

ugly

LE
No service doesnt count to the colours until you are 18. I joined at 16 and my service on my red book is short by almost 2 years despite my being in bn aged 17 and a half.

OK new changes

Your service starts the day you start training...thats the day you sign your 271A (contract)
You normally do your OATH of Allegiance around two weeks before but no more days pay or Queens Shilling.

When you sign the contract there will be two dates...one 12 years the day before (midnight) which is your 12 years Versatile Short engagement date.....keeo your nose clean you have 12 years minimum of employment.

The second date is when your colour service is due to end....if Under 18 it is up till midnight the day before your 22nd Birthday
If Over 18 midnight (the day you start phase 1)4 years later....now a caveate saying if your doing a trade that is longer like Aircraft Tech/Avionics, Nursing etc then there will be seperate time bars.
This is all to see on the copy of the contract you should get prior to your OATH.

The rules for DAOR are slightly different for under 18s as well
28 days till 6 months for Under 18s
28 days till 3 months for Over 18s

Speak to your Recruiter who will explain it all on your 271W

ugly

LE
I didnt sign my contract until I was 18 and had been in Bn 7 months by then. Anything signed at the ACIO aged under 18 isnt worth the paper its written on in law, its an intention to serve rather than a contract of service.
I know there is no junior service anymore but do the AFC places send persons to training depots under 18?

I didnt sign my contract until I was 18 and had been in Bn 7 months by then. Anything signed at the ACIO aged under 18 isnt worth the paper its written on in law, its an intention to serve rather than a contract of service.
I know there is no junior service anymore but do the AFC places send persons to training depots under 18?
My lad started his phase 2 at Larkers whilst still 17 after a year at Harrogate so yes.

I have a vague recollection of being called to the CSMs office on or just after my 18th birthday to sign something. I actually Attested and started training (and being paid) at 17 and a few months. Red Book shows Reckonable Service date as from 18th Birthday. However this was way back in '74 so things may have changed.

Well I Hope your wrong mate otherwise the 100+ people Ive enlisted are walking round with toilet paper...........:)

Latest Threads