When does one become an old timer?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Oct 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Polar's post made me think...

Any ideas?

Is it when you look back at the things you used to be able to do before the ludicrously over-zealous H&S nazis invaded?

Or when you have been in long enough that there is noone left who joined up with you?

msr

2. its when you are sitting in the jrc telling all the new recruits how good it was when you did your basic training and explaining what a bed block was

3. msr

msr LE

Or how you had to do the run in 10.30 minutes, not 14, before they let you go to CMSR...

4. Well theirs a change :D

However I do feel in between two groups, the youngsters with their mobilisation ethos and an older generation who are rooted in the older TA/Sgts&WO Mess.

My 'generation/(30-40)' seems to have disappeared for a number of reasons, young family's, marriage, civvy work, etc. I know it exists in other units but it isn't the mainstay of the TA that it was.

5. Oi!

I was 11.05 on the last one and beat 80% of the youngsters :twisted:

6. msr

msr LE

When you can talk about actually getting a lift in a helicopter on ex (bedicopters don't count)

Or throwing a thunderflash.

msr

7. When you had 9mm blank for your pistol.

8. Don't you have thunderflashes anymore?

If you took the BFA off your rifle, the thunderflash fitted over the muzzle, then it was just light it and fire.

Hey presto, instant grenade launcher!

H&S is obviously ruining life in the TA.

9. msr

msr LE

I actually wrote that, then changed my mind...

Perhaps: carving an X into an orange and screwing in a chorley grenade detonator....

10. The days of Thunderflashes on command detonation have long long, as have the satchel charges (thunderflash in a sandbag wrapped in stones)

11. Along with shmuleys (sp?) without parachutes ...

12. shmuleys = fake milan rounds

13. Oh, and inserting a matchstick into the SLR working parts so that you could fire on auto.

I remember it, just.

14. When your sections had the LMG. The LMG being the rechambered Bren gun, not the Minimi.

When puttees were in fashion.

When the a/t weapon of choice was the 66 if you were carrying it, and the Charlie G if you actually wanted to blow stuff up.

When the establishment of the TA was 92,000.

When there wasn't a shortage of MTDs.

When the Light Gun was called the 25 pounder.

15. 10.37 - and I'm older than you.