When do you qualify to be classed as Old and bold?

I am coming to my 22 year point soon.... So I will start to don the vets badge and smell of wee/twiglets at the ripe old age of 40.....

So question is when do I qualify to post in this forum ???

I am coming to my 22 year point soon.... So I will start to don the vets badge and smell of wee/twiglets at the ripe old age of 40.....

When you start talking about that rifle:)

Do you really care though?

You're only as old as you feel

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

That RSM's pension for the 22 year Pte will come in very handy!

I wish..... i happliy have been a tom for 22 - no politics - no bollocks just crack on should have just been lazier for a bigger pension

if you have to ask, then you are not O&B yet.

Sprog! You can't properly post in this forum until you have experienced: 1. having two different rifle systems be introduced as the standard infantry weapon and 2. gone through three complete change of uniform, dress and working gear.
Boer War soldier.jpg

Sprog! You can't properly post in this forum until you have experienced: 1. having two different rifle systems be introduced as the standard infantry weapon and 2. gone through three complete change of uniform, dress and working gear.
View attachment 172378
1. I have SLR and SA80
2. I have lightweights, CS95 and now MTP

I must qualify then....

When you find the people who work for you have been alive less time than you have served and when you qualify for your second long gong.

When you find the people who work for you have been alive less time than you have served and when you qualify for your second long gong.
All joking apart. We marched out an old sweat - SSGT Sammy Vasta. Over drinks I asked him when he had joined. It was the year before I was born, and I was old. (you can serve a long time in the ADF).

Sammy had tears running down his face as he marched off. I will never forget it.

The old bugger then got a job as a cook in an army kitchen.

Sammy passed away about ten years ago. Cheers Sammy, and thanks for all you taught me. I will see you on the great parade ground in the sky.

It's when you feel the need to attend Remembrance parades in not just a blazer and tie, but with a badly shaped beret as well.
You as well? Christ I despair of people who do that! I actually still have an SG beret from my time as an ACF Instructor but would never consider wearing it on RD

Last edited:
I'm in the NZDF bumhole. Been in uniform 32 years, old and bold (and bald).

Hmmm. Pull up a sandbag while I tell you a story about us repelling the Soviet horde...

Out of interest, is there anyone here who remembers the conversion court from 303 to SLR? Not that I do.....

When was it and how was it done?

I did the SLR to Steyr conversion - two days, with a follow up.

Out of interest, is there anyone here who remembers the conversion court from 303 to SLR? Not that I do.....

When was it and how was it done?.
IIRC The bods at the mod took one look at the SLR fired one round and immediately sent the order to send all .303's to the closest rubbish tip.

easy there fella's I love the .303

When you start talking about that rifle:)

Do you really care though?

You're only as old as the woman you feel
Small suggestion mate ;)

I remember being on a course living in at SEE Arborfield and having a pint with the RSM in the mess. At the bar was a retiring drill instructor Sgt from the Depot - someone asked him what he was going to do now, after he retired. The RSM and I supped our pints trying not to see the tears rolling down his face. He had no plans for retirement. He was totally lost at the idea of being out of the Army.

I did the 6" adjustable spanner to .50 Cal rocket Wrench conversion. Does that count?