when do reserve officers get attested?

I am part way though a application to join the Army reserve as an officer, I have my medical done and I'm just waiting on a day for the briefing. In the mean time I have been doing phase 0 training with local reserve units. They are very keen to help me pass both the briefing and the main board, but most are ex regular and new to the reserve in general and unsure how to help.

One of the big problems I have is no one can tell me when I get attested in the Reserve officer application processes. I was under the impression this was after the main board, but was told this was not the case and I was recommended a number of programs and weekends away I can join them on to help me pass the main board but I can only do these once I am attested.

At the moment it getting very frustrating because it looks like they can do lots to help me pass the main board, after I have passed the main board :) .

Can anyone give me a final answer on when a reserve officer gets attested?

I would have thought that you should be attested at the same stage as every other recruit, to allow you I train and to avoid the problem you describe. Have a word with the officer i/c your unit's recruiting team.

Tapped in morse code on the radiator.

Every other recruits (none Officer entry) gets attested after the assessment centre, unfortunately officer recruits don't go to the assessment centre so I wont be attested at the same time as them. I have been told my application processes is, interview, medical, Briefing Board, Main Board.

I am the only Officer applicant in my unit and the only other Officer applicant they have ever had was an OTC transfer so was already attested.

Last edited:
This doesn't feel right.
My understanding is that you will NOT join as an Officer, but as a normal recruit who, once they'd done their basic Recruit training will be expected to undergo further training in order to Commission.

Why the pedantry? Because, assuming thats the case, you should be Attested by the subunit you'll initially join. If you're unsure who that is, find out who'll pay you...

mso

LE
Quick call to the Adjutant.

Mercedis

Clanker
You will be attested at your local UOTC/ORT once you have passed main board. If your local unit attempt to attest you, your pay is likely to end up wrong. You stay on the books of your local UOTC/ORT until you commission.

This doesn't feel right.
My understanding is that you will NOT join as an Officer, but as a normal recruit who, once they'd done their basic Recruit training will be expected to undergo further training in order to Commission.
Why the pedantry? Because, assuming thats the case, you should be Attested by the subunit you'll initially join. If you're unsure who that is, find out who'll pay you...

Sorry but that's not how it looks to be structured to me, what everyone is certain on is I don't do the assessment centre, or normal recruiting procedure. That is the case for how my training goes after Main Board but it is only the Briefing before Main Board.

You will be attested at your local UOTC/ORT once you have passed main board. If your local unit attempt to attest you, your pay is likely to end up wrong. You stay on the books of your local UOTC/ORT until you commission.

Humm yes that is the understanding I have at the moment. Its a real shame because my local reserve unit has a lot to offer me to help with my Main Board but it looks like I can't do any of it until I have already passed, so its a little useless to any none OTC applicants.

O well, looks like I'm on my own for that then. Wanted to check really as no one here really knows and I get a different answer each week. Now I can move forward and see what I can do to get though Main Board.

Sorry but that's not how it looks to be structured to me,

Oh well.What do I know?

Its a real shame because my local reserve unit has a lot to offer me to help with my Main Board.

Who, from a Reserves pov actually "owns" you?

Lord_L

Clanker
Although I always intended to commission I joined as a trooper and was attested the week after I completed the assessment weekend. I then began the normal 6 weekends training which you would complete before doing the additional 3 weekends infantry training regardless of cap badge. This is Mod 1 and you then have options as to how you complete mods 2 and 3 before going to RMAS. You complete briefing and main board at any time during this.

There is however TACC + or ARCC + now, Zero to hero in 8 weeks. You still however need to be attested and this happens a week or two after your assessment weekend. I would personally suggest spending now until the next ARCC + at a local UOTC who will help you get through briefing and main board.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Attestation now happens at ADSC, I'm informed.

Waldorfmuppet

Old-Salt
Unfortunately officer candidates are not 'owned' by units in the same way as soldier candidates are.

Once you pass AOSB you will be attested and trained by the OTC. Once you pass the commissioning course then you move across to the unit.

You are encouraged to keep in contact with the unit and they can run nurturing events for you but they will not attest you at any point.

UNLESS you apply as a soldier, join the unit, pass Phase 1 training then go and do AOSB.

The process isn't always well understood by recruiting staff as officer candidates are generally dealt with by senior careers advisors in the careers centres or the Adj in units.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I heard with the new process they could only get enough through to a group do every 2d Tuesday of June every 3d leapyear ending in an odd number.