When did your regiment last have a TA CO?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Currently it does (by selection, not alternation)

2. Alternates between the two

3. Last 5 years

4. Last 10 years

5. Not in living memory

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Straw Poll
  2. We does, unless I have been mislead
  3. MSR who do you vote for if it altenates but currently has a TA CO?
  4. You've been misled, I think - he was the ex training major, a position which I believe is generally a regular one.. Possibly.

Amusingly the post can still be seen advertised in the depths of armynet or some such place.
  5. Nah he's a stab mate. sure he is
  6. isnt it supposed to be always a ta colonol for a ta unit?
  7. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

My Regt (or its predecessors) has never had a Regular CO.
  8. msr

msr LE

Oops :oops: poll edited.

9. My Current Co's predecessor was a TA CO (my old OC).
  10. msr
    I can't see how this will give you a useful answer. Your poll seems to be asking a question to which there is an absolute answer (which some drone in main building could probably tell you) rather than a generalised one which is shaped by individual opinion. If, for argument's sake, there is only one unit in the whole Field Army with a TA CO and five people from his unit respond, your poll wil show five units with TA COs.
    How do you propose to draw any meaningful conclusion?
  11. Yeah must admit we've had two TA COs now in my new Regt, and the one is was in before that had two TA CO's back to back, I must be scaring the reg ones off!
  12. and why? TA CO selection works by the board looking at all exclusively-TA runners. It's only when none make the grade that the selection is then opened up to the regulars.
  13. msr

msr LE

Which document are you quoting from?

How do you account for the 'alternating' command?

How come some TA units can't recall having a TA CO?

Is it that the people 'cannot give up the time at that stage in their professional career'?

14. We currently have a reg CO (it alternates) and I have to say that I think, with the TA being the creature that it is today, it should always be a regular position. Running a TA Regiment/Bn is a full time job that I simply don't believe TA senior officers have time to do. Reg officers also tend to have much better contacts allowing us to go to better places and get hold of better kit (temporarily!).
  15. Or alternatively, they have little/no idea about what makes the TA tick, how to go about recruiting and retaining TA soldiers and officers and are surrounded by a regular Adjt, regular QM, regular RSM and regular TM.