When did WW2 finish in Europe?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Bodmin-Bill, May 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Food for thought,

It is believed that the war in Europe finished on 8th May 1945 with the surrender of the German General Staff.
    That was not the end of the fighting in Europe. A whole army in what is now the Czech Republic held out until 11th May, and a mixed Croat-German Army held out in Zagreb until 15th May 1945.

The last German soldiers in the west to surrender was a team defending a weather station at Spitzbergen, they surrendered on 3rd September 1945, after having lost radio contact with Germany in May 1945.
    The Wehrmacht Magazine SIGNAL was still produced in Sweden in June 1945!
    The government formed by Admiral Dönitz ( the Weekend Führer) in Flensburg, was not arrested until 23rd May 1945, during this time the guards at the Naval Headquarters were fully armed members of the U-Boat arm.
    At least one U-Boat made it to a South American port without being captured, they just vanished into the crowd before the police could arrive.
    Kriegsmarine Minesweeper crews continued in service until the late 1940s.

On the eastern front the Germans formed mixed groups of anti-stalin Russians and „Brandenburgers“ (German Special Forces in WW2). These fought behind the Russian lines hitting supply convoys etc. The last known group were cornered and wiped out in a forest in Estonia in 1952!

So I ask the question, when did the war really finish in Europe?

Cheers, Bill.

2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Well, Berwick Upon Tweed is supposed to be still at war with Russia, as it should have been included in the Peace Treatyh but was forgotten. Not sure, but I think th eIsle of Man is still at war with Germany as well.

Most of the Partisan groups in Russian-occupied Eastern Europe after the war and supported by the British were betrayed - and subsequently murdered - due to the actions of Kim Philby, well-known traitorous bastard.

3. Error: Estonia, should have read Lithuania, sorry. :oops:

It should be noticed that the last battle fought by the Ukrainian troops against the communists was in 1947.
    Most of the mixed German-White Russian groups belonged to the BKA "Davits" Battalion, which sent infiltrators behind Soviet lines.

It is my opinion that a study of German WW2 eastern front "Long Range Recce Commando Forces", is long over due.

Some groups numbered only seven men and went 180km behind enemy lines hitting supplies and making contact to anti-Soviet groups, as late as November 1944!

(source: The last year of the German Army, James Lucas).

Bill.

4. Thanks "Oldsnowy",

I did not know that Kim Philby played a role in defeating the anti-communist forces in Russia, now that you mention it, it does seem logical.

Bill.

5. A peace treaty was done in the 80's or 90's. It was something like the full name of the UK was used in declaration of war but not for the peace treaty

6. Here is an interesting biographical link about a British POW (he was captured at Dunkirk), who after escape from a POW camp in Poland, joined the Polish Home Army.
    It describes in detail how the anticommunist resistance in Poland was betrayed by Kim Philby, who was at this time working for the Polish directorate of the SOE.

http://polish.ssni.ca/BIBL-CONS/JEFF-ORIG/JEFFERY.HTM

Jan

7. Another one, the tiny country of Andorra between Spain and France.

Andorra declared war on the Kaisers Germany in 1914, but was not invited to the peace treaty of 1918. Andorra was in a state of "war" with Germany until it was noticed by the Germans in 1940!

Bill.

8. Wee bit of an exageration. They were scientists\meteorologists in the wehrmacht. The reason for the late 'surrender' is simply because that's when a boat was sent to pick them up.

BTW, the Germans retained a great deal of autonomy in Norway after the 8th of May, mainly due to the small number of British\American\Norwegian troops available to look after them. They remained armed well into the summer, were never 'POW's or in 'POW' camps (the term used being 'reservations'), were responsible for their own administration and discipline even to the extent of promoting and decorating men, for example awarding Iron Crosses for mine clearance work. I know of medals being awarded as late as September 1945.

9. My paternal grandfather,who was a corporal in a Luftwaffe railway mounted anti aircraft unit (Eisenbahnflak, he was in command of a quadruple 20mm gun mounted on a flatbed car and it´s crew) saw his end of the war in Rotterdam, Holland. The whole train, with 88mm AA guns and everything was at this time deployed to protect Rotterdam freight yard against air raids. The houses around the freight yard were occupied and controlled by armed Dutch resistance and the track torn up, so they couldn´t leave. On the other hand the German troops were afraid to be lynched if they surrendered to the Dutch (Since May 1940 the Luftwaffe wasn´t really popular in Rotterdam). The Dutch on the other hand didn´t dare to attack over almost 1000 meters of open ground against the 20mm guns and heavier weapons of the Germans. Finaly a British unit arrived, to which the Germans surrendered. They were still permitted to keep their rifles and other personal weapons for self defense until they reached the POW camp.

Jan

10. There was still fighting in Greece for a while, I can't remember how long though it might have been a couple of years, between the monarchists (supported by British troops) and the Communists.