When did the term Squaddie stop being a term of abuse?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by angular, Apr 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It must be my age, but every time I hear a journo refering to a soldier as a 'squaddie' I get all defensive and cross. When did it stop being a term of abuse? Is it just PC gone mad???

Edited because the spelling pixies are out again

2. I always felt the equivelant was calling a policeman a pig, just a colloquial slang term. Personally it's always got my back up a bit - soldier, not squaddie.

3. Personally, i think it depends on the pronoun (if that is the correct term - i don't do grammer)

'Our brave sqaddies...' is fine.

'i hate fcuking squaddies because...' tends to get my back up a tad.

there are exceptions to this of course:

'that fcuking squadie brused my arrse...' just makes me so darn proud! :twisted:

(me, bad at england? that's unpossible)

4. The term you are looking for is "adjective".

http://www.answers.com/adjective&r=67

5. It depends how you define the word "soldier"

If its the correct term, then it means someone who served in the armed forces, but to some, its a proper soldier ie a fighting man/infantry.
    And as most servicemen are not soldiers in that sense, then squaddie would fit.
    And forget the "soldier first trade second rubbish" we all know a proper soldeir isnt a chef who fights on the front line as an example.

However i can think of worse things to be called than "squaddie"

http://www.cabarfeidh.com/what_is_a_squaddie.htm

6. Every day's a school day :D

7. If we're into semantics Gren then I am defining soldier as 'A serving member of the Army'.

As for your linky, fair one 8O

8. I'm with you on this one angular. I hate being referred to as a squaddie.
    I would prefer to see a headline "Our Brave Soldiers" instead of "Our Brave Squaddies"

9. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

A Pub of Squaddies ?

Seems to work for some reason in my (admittedly small) mind.

10. I have to say, that's a new one on me. I never realised it was ever a term of abuse. OK, it was sometimes used abusively, but that's different.

11. You squaddies are so touchy 8)

12. I agree with the poster who said, if you are one its ok, if you are not it is insultingly familiar. (A bit like people who insist on calling you by your first name when you have not invited them to do so.)

13. It gets right up my nose when people who have not served use the term - particularly journos, politicians and walting wannabes.

Group noun - "a pride of squaddies" sounds about right to me.

14. "Then tune the pipes an drub the tenor drum
    Leave yer kit this side o the waa
    Then tune the pipes an drub the tenor drum
    Puir bluidy swaddies are wearie"

15. What is in a name?

It will always be a matter of interpretation and personal assessment.

20 years ago if you had called me a fat useless lazy feck I may have been offended. Nowadays I cant be arrsed to get off the sofa!