When did the phrase "Quad-service" sneak into our language!!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Moon_Monkey_Spunk, May 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've recently heared "Quad-Service" being used to describe Navy, Army, RAF and the MOD!

When did the MOD become an Armed Service? Have I missed day one of the revolution?

Anyone else heard this phrase? (it's currently cropping up on recents ABNs).
  2. Some smart arsed thrusting civil servant who doesn't know his arse from his elbow being a knob?
  3. Probably when people became bored of saying tri-service and civil service to describe an organisation? Oh and let's ignore those bits of the CS that are armed and someone on arrse referring to the RAF as an armed service
  4. It is a civil service though and has to work in partnership with the other 3 fighty ones.

It's anoying as a shrill ginger teenager having tantrum and sounds gash but is sadly correct.
  5. I have no problem with the term: we are all in this together after all. And in many ways, regarding the MoD CS as some sort of unprincipled fifth column has directly contributed to lessening of overall capability over the years.
  6. Oh hooray, its time to slag off the civil service again. Lets just go off on one slagging off the CS without any idea of whether its true or not, and whether or not the CS actually came up with this ridiculous phrase.
    Personally I've never heard it used, and as a civil servant I would be deeply uncomfortable seeing it used in this way. A phrase is needed to describe those times when matters affect personnel from all three armed services and the MOD civil service - why not try something like, 'joint' or 'Defence wide'?
  7. Do a bit on your blog about it.
  8. Sod that, when did the RAF?
  9. Bloody hell, if some twat can disect his own finger with a blunt knife god know what he would do if he was armed! Thinking of any CS at Bicester as an 'armed service' scares the shit out of me.
  10. Surely it's the Army, Royal Marines, Royal Navy, and RAF?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

This particular Civil Servant has never heard the term. I have enough trouble with my Tri-Service colleagues picking over the difference between Joint and Defence as a descriptor.

Given that most of MOD CS will be working for Serco within three years I don't imagine the phrase has a particularly long life expectancy even if it does take off.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Err! No. The Royal Marines are a part of the Royal Navy.

Yeah, ok, I bit.
  13. :wave:
  14. If you haven't heard the phrase type it into DII tomorrow!

Funnily enough the latest LBGT forum is being called a Quad Service meeting! Isn't the head of LBGT a civil servant?
  15. I think you'll find RM are part of the Naval Service, not the Royal Navy..