When did Signalmen become Signallers

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by bigpod, May 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. See above...
  2. 6th June 1944???? not really sure of the question though.
  3. 30 years ago the starting rank in Royal Signals was Signalman. Now it seems to be Signaller. When did that happen? Or am I wrong
  4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Since the world realised that >25% of R Signals types were women? Happened more than a decade ago........
  5. I see what you mean, it was when signalperson sounded silly.

Signaller covers both sexes.
  6. 1991 - first females to be cap-badged in the Royal Corps (30 Sigs to be precise), as I remember doing a double take as I couldn't quite work out what was wrong!!

7. The REME still have Craftsmen, but that could be down to the standard of our females.
  8. Yeah, "Crafters" just doesn't have the same ring to it as "Signallers". :D
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Probably, hairy with big hands - dressed in covvies and covered in old OMD 80 gender is difficult to determine.....

Caused a bit of confusion with the grunts at the time who used Signaller as a role. Got a RRF Lt. in a strop once as I did not answer his shouts for a "Signaller", I had to suggest that he called me Cpl in future so I would know who he meant...
  10. So are there Riflewomen in The Rifles these days?.No Wah intended.
  11. No. Because there are no women in the Infantry. Riflewomen, Guardswomen, Kingswomen etc. None.
  12. Cheers Hobo- Ken.
  13. I've witnessed some tight grouping when they were W.R.A.C. at the skill at arms meetings.
  14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The only tight group involving WRAC would have been a fight for the last twix in one of their handbags....