When did Scaleybacks become Bleeps?

Some interesting ideas, probably all bollocks. I'm just glad I was in when lineys were hairy-arsed, and there were SignalMEN.

My Dad was in the Corps in World War 2, with 8th Armoured Division. He said you could always tell how close to the enemy you were by watching the lineys, who would go running off (probably with a canvas roll of D10). Once you heard gunfire and a load of lineys cursing (but not necessarily running back), then thats where the Germans were.

How long before the Jimmy becomes "Jemima"

E-Layer said:
I met a bloke who worked for the WRVS in Blandford.
Exactly... maybe they should rename Peoples Royal Voluntary Service?

Scaleyback is simple.

It came about as a result of the awful scarring and scabbing from cuts on the backs of Radio Telegraphists, usually gained over a weekend and always from the fingernails of rampant honeys who had spend said weekend impaled on a huge, solid and highly qualified RTG phallus.

Techs and DTG's would often get similar cuts on nipples and stomach if the bloke roaring up their chuffpiece hadn't cut his nails.......scaleyfront never caught on though.
I'll go with that as a pretty accurate reason.

Did anyone try to time/alter the depth of their strokes to spell out the birds name in morse?

chocolate_frog said:
E-Layer said:
I met a bloke who worked for the WRVS in Blandford.
Exactly... maybe they should rename Peoples Royal Voluntary Service?

Scaleyback is simple.

It came about as a result of the awful scarring and scabbing from cuts on the backs of Radio Telegraphists, usually gained over a weekend and always from the fingernails of rampant honeys who had spend said weekend impaled on a huge, solid and highly qualified RTG phallus.

Techs and DTG's would often get similar cuts on nipples and stomach if the bloke roaring up their chuffpiece hadn't cut his nails.......scaleyfront never caught on though.
I'll go with that as a pretty accurate reason.

Did anyone try to time/alter the depth of their strokes to spell out the birds name in morse?
Morse? That's a Handbag thing isn't it???

spent_case said:
Morse? That's a Handbag thing isn't it???
No, my child. Morse is the skill that even Gods fail at, and Spec TGs dabble at.

Once upon a time a Tech/Liney/as neccesary died and went to heaven. He stood at the SQMS door, waiting for St Peter. And when the Holy SQMS did appear the Tech/Liney/as neccesary declared "Pete, my friend do not put me in a room with an RTG, I implore thee".

So St Peter, gave him the keys to Basha 13. Of the Tech/Liney/as neccesary went, kit bag on his shoulder. When he got to Basha 13, he pushed open the door, and there was a chap sat at the table bashing out on a morse key.

Enraged the Tech/Liney/as neccesary went back to the Holy SQMS and demanded "WHy art thou putting me in a room with an RTG?"

To which St Peter SQMS replied "That isn't an RTG, that's God, he's still trying to pass his Trade Board!

elovabloke

ADC
I thought bleep was used because us at the front to talk to you at puzzle palace on the old Bids which went Bleep every second.

It’s also a term of endearment I have used when talking to my nephews for the last 22 years instead of tttwwaattt for joining the wrong mob :roll:

As an ex-Liney from the 70' and 80s, I was under the impression that the term 'hairy arse Liney' came from back in the day when cable was laid off the back of a horse drawn cart. There was a seat at the very end of the cart where a brave, gimlet eyed, stern jawed Liney would pay out the cable without a thought of the danger he was in. This seat was not very comfortable and would probably fail a number of todays H&S a Work laws and was known as the 'hairy' seat hence ...etc etc.
As for bleeps, the only bleeps I know are SOS and V, what more do you need?

sebcoe said:
Signals in the AAC where in fact known as Nancy Boy's as they didnt like smelling of Avturd....unlike the bowser mongs who always attracted the ladies.
And the flies. :lol:

Guys, RTFQ!!! Signals became bleeps when secure radio was introduced. The beeps telling the staff officers they could chat as only wuperts can!! Prior to that it was all coded words crap like Sunray Minor!!

just_plain_dave said:
Guys, RTFQ!!! Signals became bleeps when secure radio was introduced. The beeps telling the staff officers they could chat as only wuperts can!! Prior to that it was all coded words crap like Sunray Minor!!

coded words crap ?
Sunray Minor is an appointment title

Coded words crap would be BATCO

You're not an RTG are you!

/Anorak on/

The term "bleep" was used by EOD teams in NI from the early 70s to describe RSigs ECM operators. I think the term may have spread from there..

The name "Bleep" comes from a 1960's Blue Peter cartoon series "Bleep and Booster"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleep_and_Booster

Bleep is described thus..

The inhabitants are portrayed as robot-like creatures with flexible arms and legs like rubber hoses. Their feet are cupped and they have antennae and a third eye in the centre of their foreheads.

... which IMHO describes ECM Ops to a T :D

/Anorak off/

E-Layer said:
I think "Bleep" came out of province in the 80's/90's and was coined by "them" (and derivatives thereof) who sought to identify the roles of the various operators and support staff (Dave Bleep, Andy Spanners, Steve Cameras, Frank Moustachio'dkiller, Brian Shithousecleaner etc).

Scaleyback is simple.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fnuck me....I've just wet myself!

Mitch99 said:
C&P from wiki

The flag and cap badge feature Mercury, the winged messenger of the gods, who is referred to by members of the corps as "Jimmy". The origins of this nickname are unclear. According to one explanation, the badge is referred to as "Jimmy" because the image of (the ancient Greek god) Mercury was based on the late mediaeval bronze statue of that 'divine' being by the Italian sculptor Giambologna (this is usually referred to as "Giambologna's Mercury" - shortening over time reduced the name Giambologna to "Jimmy". The most widely accepted theory of where the name Jimmy comes from is a Royal Signals boxer, called Jimmy Emblem, who was the British Army Champion in 1924 and represented the Royal Corps of Signals from 1921 to 1924.

Mitch,

I'm researching my wife's family history and one of her relatives was a Charles Emblen (not Emblem). I'm unsure whether his nickname was Jimmy but he appears to be the Army Boxing champion you refer to.

For info. I have found a photograph of him that was recently for sale on Ebay.

I wonder if anyone has any further details about him.

Regards
Noddy

Do you still have line monkeys?

bomb_mac said:
Do you still have line monkeys?
What? People who go out laying drums of copper cable to forward positions? In these days of cyberwarriors and the electronic battlespace? When we have nice wireless and fibre comms?

Yes we still have them. But....they have merged with the stores chaps and they are now Driver Lineman Storeman. Brilliant eh - we have "man" twice in the title. You don't get more macho than that! :D

-.-. . .-. - .- / -..-. / -.-. .. - --- / -..-. / ... .... .. - / -..-. / --- .-. / -..-. / -... ..- ... - / -..-. / -. . ...- . .-. / -..-. / .-.. . - / -..-. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -..-. / -... --- .-.. .-.. --- -.-. -.- ... / -..-. / -.. .- -. --. .-.. . / -..-. / .. -. / -..-. / - .... . / -..-. / -.. ..- ... - / -..-. -. -. -. -. / -. --- - / -... .- -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .- -. / . -..- / -.-. .- -... .-.. . / .--- --- .. -. - . .-. / -..-. .-.. -- -. / - .... . -. / -... . -.-. .- -- . / -.-. -... - -..-. / .-.. -- -.

I'm very confused as I thought both were applicable and always had been, I was a combat trade and left in the mid 90's, should I be Scaley323?

"I thought bleep was used because us at the front to talk to you at puzzle palace on the old Bids which went Bleep every second."

Works for me...I was Rear Link Detachment for Long Range Snipers and we were called Bleeps then....even tho' the Planks (God Bless 'em) couldn't come near our det (we cordoned the area with white mine tape and God help anyone who entered the forbidden area) to be able to hear anything anyway....and anyway, we ALWAYS wore our 'phones, didn't we chaps?

Bleep and proud of it...RTG Class I (A Trade)