When did Scaleybacks become Bleeps?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by EX_STAB, Jul 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Granted it was a while back but why the change?

Have other Corps changed too?

2. Bollox to that. Am still a Scaley.

Edited to add... Actually make that ex Scaley..

3. I thought scaleybacks were RCT signals and bleeps were the R Sigs but hey, what do I know?

4. Very little...apparently :twisted: :wink:

5. I have never understood why anyone would want to remain in the Royal Signals, it must be mind numbing to be constantly erecting tents, checking for holes, and then taking them down again. Apparently you have more bullshit when in Barracks than the Guards Division and consider yourself more warry than a bunch of THEM when in the field. Man up and transfer to the AGC (SPS) and do a proper job all the time.

6. All depends on the posting really, and at some units most of the seniors are rtu'd THEM. As for bullshit when in barracks, as someone who spent most of his 9 years asleep in the back of a 43x in the garages i have no idea :D

7. What's a bleep? Is it the noise that mong Kee-op from Battle of the Planets made?

8. 100% SIR

Bleep is a newagetravellerfandangoism of a word probably brought in by our antipodean colleagues.

It is not a word to be used to describe the *lazy/hardworking (*delete as applicable) men (and women) of the Royal Corps of Signals.

I did not do 2 years of drill at Harrogate for nothing you know. Nor did I put up/take down 1000's of tents in BAOR or complete Battle camps that would have made pathfinder selection look like a Bob Spour adventure to be called a Bleep.

I have earned the right to be a Scaley.

9. Couldn't agree more. Even if you were a handbag. :wink:

10. Bleeps=R/DTg's
    Scaleys=combat trades such as Rad op&Liney

11. Scaley Back refers to infantry signallers who had to carry very heavy radios in inadequate backpacks. This caused severe chafing resulting in huge sores that scabbed over - scaley backs.

Royal Signals radio operatives operated even heavier radios from vehicles and physically couldn't manpack.

12. I thought it was to do with leaking acid.

In any case, the answer is that the change in 'sobriquet' occurred at the same time as the move from analogue to digital.

probably

13. So you're a bleep and a handbag :lol:

14. I was told that a leather tunic like scales was worn by the signaller to stop the battery acid burning him.

I know we were harder than hard things but I dont think anyone would want battery acid on them.

Buggrit, I was just reading about the same subject on an ACF forum, even speculation that scaley comes from scalley, to thieve stuff. Nice

15. As I recall (early 1980s) linies were always known as hairies. My Tp Sgt said this was because of the string cable ties that used to hang down the back of their belts.