When did comrades become colleagues?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by EX_STAB, Dec 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's common to hear journalists and media types refer to soldiers being respected etc. by their "colleagues" when they should IMV use the term "comrades".

Colleagues suggests (to me) people who you have to get on with in an office for a few hours five days a week not those who you eat, sleep, fight and die with.

This usage has now spread to the Royal Marines:

I'm certain that no disrespect would have been meant by the Brigadier but am I alone in thinking that the word "colleagues" cheapens the relationships that bind troops together?

2. EX_STAB I think it is only because so many in New Labour still refer to themselves at the Party Conference as 'comrades' - so the media don't want to confuse the issue.

3. Fighters not bleeding ASDA shelf stackers FFS
    WW
    Grrrr

4. 'Colleagues in Arms' definitely does not have a ring to it.
    In fact it displays a lack of understanding of the basic covenant between soldiers.

Just another example of how public utterances sound more and more like they were designed by a committee.
    Can you imagine what Churchill would make of that?

5. We became colleagues when the civvies started riding rough-shod over those who live and die with their comrades.

6. stop being so picky. its pretty much the same thing. would you like it if they told us to stop calling them civvys? youd most prob tell them to grow up

besides comrade sounds too russian :)

7. Comrade, colleague, mucker, oppo, mate, pal... all mean more or less the same thing. I suppose which word I use depends on whether I am writing or speaking, and of course who I am with.

BTW someone had a go at me recently for using the term "colleague" in the Gen Jackson debate.

THERE'S NO PLEASING EVERYONE!!

SLR

8. They were not colleagues, they were more than comrades, they were and remain my muckers!

9. Never colleagues - much more than that

10. Friends and brothers.....even the sh1theads!

11. Use of the term "colleague" is fine in a peacetime environment, but is frankly insulting when applied to a guy who has been killed in combat.
    Colleagues, is all too corporate, and suggests people who probably don't even share a table in the staff canteen.
    Someone who is prepared to share in your life, and quite possibly, your death, deserves better, he is a comrade.

12. It's always been comrades. Not dissimilar to the Kameraden of the finest Army we ever fought.

If you roll over and accept "colleague", how will you ever acquire any traditions?

13. "Colleagues" just doesn't seem to reflect the sentiment.

14. Yes RABC, but by how much more than that we would rather not know,
    if you don't mind.

What I object to the word 'colleague' is that the word so obviously come from the outside civilian world into the army one.
    It just plain doesn't define the relationship.
    You work or play golf with a colleague not fight and die with them.

Mind you the formality inherent in the word might be heralding a return of the traditional stiff upper lip of old.
    When you all start catching the 8:15 each morning to the battle front wearing bowler hats the word will become appropriate.

15. It's definitely kamerad in der Waltenkommando.