When Britain & France nearly "married"...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by lancslad, Jan 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Well after a thousand years of getting their arrses kicked by just about everyone it was the natural order of things :threaten: :D
  2. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Right Eden is a bigger plonker that I originally thought. He had a perfect chance to confirm the United Kingdom and he chose not to...what an idiot. I would have loved to see the fleur de lys back on the monarch's standard!!!!

Makes me reach for my KJV to remind myself of the historical context...

3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

[align=center]Ok minus a harp and 'le lion de l'ecosse'....but still rather pretty...n'est pas?[/align]
  4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

So Thierry Henry could have played for England!
  5. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

He could have played for a 'UK' team for sure, we could have always had 5 nations football as well as rugby. Why oh why did anyone ever make the five nations the six nations...they need a bloody history lesson!!!!
  6. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Hopefully PTP can merge the threads...definately a topic that needs some consideration. The French 'Senate' may well have been able to veto the Bliar's idiotic panderings to Bush...oh the possibilities of what might have been....
  7. Just think, we'd be up by a couple of aircraft carriers by now.
  8. ...de Gaulle must be spinning like a camombert cheese in his grave...

Imagine the cabinet meetings...
  9. The French would have recognised HM as head of state...who the f*** passed that one up then?
  10. A union between Great Britain and France was actually proposed by Churchill in the 'dark days' of 1940. Considering the state of political and societal collapse (and near civil war soon thereafter) in which France found herself at that time, I don't see that a union c.1956 would have been that ridiculous. It's no more ridiculous than De Gaulle giving consideration to the idea of restoring the Bourbon monarchy in France after the Second World War; because the monarchists were so hopelessly divided amongst themselves the compromise was the strengthening of the office of President of the Republic.
  11. Small matter of the French people to consider... if I recall when Prince John slipped up and lost our (England's) French possessions it saved us a shed load in costs when we were running a bit tight...

My summer holiday reading was: The Sweet Enemy

Brilliant book, despite being a monstrous tome, but tracks the cultural alongside the historical. The upshot being we are chalk and cheese still and always will be.
  12. Just think, we could've had decent trains, a car industry and better food.
  13. OTOH a greater tendency to surrender...