When benefits and food banks just ain’t enough

Some never leave the safety of their home again. Mental illness is just as disabling as a physical symptom for some poor souls. Mental health illness can hit anyone without warning and I mean anyone
I am unfortunately going through it at the moment.

Every day i get into work is a little victory.

Indeed.

Once upon a time we had cops to throw the those theats out of hospitals (I did so myself -i was stopped being sent to hospital calls after a while, as I had no sense of humour for disorder in hospitals).

Happily we have neither the staff nor the back-up to care for or control the public. So those unenlightened days are over.

I don't blame doctors or nurses that is not why the joined. But they should have the back-up to throw people out.
Yep
This is one of my former customers:

A MENTAL health unit patient who set fire to his bed and assaulted two staff members has been made the subject of a hospital order.
Gavin Grant McAlpine, 39, was found by a jury at Carlisle Crown Court earlier this year to have committed five criminal acts in the space of six days. These took place while he was an in-patient at the West Cumberland Hospital’s Yewdale Ward last November.
Absolutely barking & a danger to everyone.
One time, he bought an air rifle, which he promptly used to shoot at all & sundry from his bedroom in their third floor flat.
Should've been locked up 20 years ago.

I've yet to come across anyone in the DWP / jobcentre or even ATOS (Capita or whoever it is these days) who has even heard of my condition...QUOTE]

At the risk of preaching to the converted, teaching my granny to suck eggs etc.
The mistake many people make when completing the PIP/DLA/ESA form is to describe ailments and symptoms.

The forms are designed to (try to) assess how the ailment affects your daily life. Classic example asks, can you open a tin of sweetcorn and heat it up safely without assistance/supervision.

The forms are airly complicated and quite a few claimants get lost in the morass.
Best advice, if you are not sure, approach one of the voluntary organisations for assistance.

Having been brought up in (relative) poverty I can't see how anyone can send their children to school hungry enough to warrant this:

Why school breakfast clubs are on the education frontline

Despite my dad being disabled and unable to work and my mum having to work in a local shop pricing goods for peanuts, we always went to school having had toast & jam, porridge or cereal. Free school lunch was a Godsend for them and we generally had meat or fish paste sarnies for tea.
Breakfast clubs are not always free and not always for poverty stricken families, both of my granddaughters go to "breakfast clubs", a service provided at their schools from 07:30 for a fee (about £9 a day) this includes breakfast. They attend so their Mums can go to work since they both start work at 08:00, the granddaughters both go to "after school club" as well (about £7 a day), this is up to 18:00 but doesn't include a meal, it does however provide snacks for the kids. although it's not cheap it does allow their Mums to work full time.

I am unfortunately going through it at the moment.

Every day i get into work is a little victory.
Have you ever thought of manning up?
Failing that, fill up a hip flask and have a few nips every now and again.

Have you ever thought of manning up?
Failing that, fill up a hip flask and have a few nips every now and again.
Isn't that half the problem blokes think they can deal with mental illness by 'manning up' and not admitting to people they have a problem and ask for help like they could

Isn't that half the problem blokes think they can deal with mental illness by 'manning up' and not admitting to people they have a problemk and ask for help like they could
Nah, its not manning up properly that is the problem.

Last edited:
Keep fighting and I hope your getting support you deserve, is your employer aware of your struggle?
They are now, it built up over a couple of years until I finally reached breaking point.

Mince. Spuds. Cabbage. Marmalade cake.

I’m reasonably well off now and tried my childhood menu on my kids: they wolfed it down.

I went for a little bit of a cry out of sight then called Mum to tell her I love her.

1970s/80s were hard times.
My kids were complaining about their food so I went out and bough them a "what I used to get" meal.

Fray bentos steak pie in a tin, a box of Smash instant potato and a tin of mushy peas.... actually they ate the lot and now it's a regular winter lunch when we all get together.

Isn't that half the problem blokes think they can deal with mental illness by 'manning up' and not admitting to people they have a problem and ask for help like they could
I found I was really not aware of the problem until I reached the breaking point and looked back at what I was doing.