When benefits and food banks just ain’t enough

Couldn't somebody with similar problems, on benefits, get (free) prescriptions for sanitary needs?
I don't know, never having had housing benefits are the like I've never had a missus claiming for them, apart from child benefit I've not claimed that sort of thing

We struggle, as having to start from scratch in your forties and pay down a mortgage from scratch, we're the working poor as so much of our incoming is going on paying down the mortgage

But because my missus is living with crippling pain and having heavy periods 3 weeks a month on average it makes holding down a normal job difficult, so she's earning less than she could if she wasn't so ill

So we have choices between not eating well and messing up my diabetes management, or paying the bills

Officially we're not classed as poor though, we don't have children. Not thought about prescriptions for sanitary needs, prescriptions are free here, didn't occur to me the might be available on the NHS

£200 of Tampax per month? At Tesco prices that's 2105 tampons in 31 days. 67 tampons per day, every day?

Er, no. Not even with constant flooding 24/7 for 31 days which would put her in hospital and unable to conduct any sort of 'normal' life.

FYI and for the purposes of this thread, Tesco (for example) charge £1.90 for a box of 20 Tampax from regular to super plus absorbancy. One or two boxes is plenty for most women, even with some uterine treachery.
Super plus doesn't cut it, she wears a stack of special ones no idea what they're called, but even so she often has to change clothes because she still bleeds through them during the day

She needs a hysterectomy, but the pills they put her on make her put on weight, and they won't give her an op until she looses weight. She can't exercise as much as she wants so it's awkward

Like I said she's an edge case, because her health isn't in a good place

I have. If you offer anything for free you will have lazy fat bastards taking the piss.
It wasn't long ago that there was a outrage story about squaddies using them. Clearly 18k a year minimum plus cheap housing isn't enough.
Hey, as long as they keep those feckless, flabby nurses in their place, I'm OK with it.

Go on lads - fill your boots.

I don't know, never having had housing benefits are the like I've never had a missus claiming for them, apart from child benefit I've not claimed that sort of thing..
Didn't mean to imply you were claiming benefits. apologies if required.
Although not on benefits (OAP thus free prescriptions) we were able to get continence products for my late wife. (Obviously before she became "late").

Super plus doesn't cut it, she wears a stack of special ones no idea what they're called, but even so she often has to change clothes because she still bleeds through them during the day

She needs a hysterectomy, but the pills they put her on make her put on weight, and they won't give her an op until she looses weight. She can't exercise as much as she wants so it's awkward

Like I said she's an edge case, because her health isn't in a good place
PM inbound.

As an example my missus has endometriosis and gets through about £200 worth of tampax a month, anyone on the poverty line would struggle with that

An edge case admittedly, but they're the ones who usually suffer
Bung it with a plunger?

What foodbank did you see them at?
You will be aware that almost all people using a foodbank are either in receipt of certain benefits or have been issued a number of vouchers to attend a foodbank.
Who would have (as in which charity/organisation) issued the squaddies the vouchers?

Army families 'forced to rely on charity food handouts'

It cant be hard to get these vouchers because a Ive seen a variety of useless fat cnuts use food banks.

Being sensible.... there are both sides to the coin.

There are undoubtedly those who abuse the food banks generosity. Doubtless some with iPhones and Sky.

But on the other hand, I know of several cases of genuine hardship (retired friend volunteers at a local foodbank) where parents (usually single mothers) have gone without meals to feed their kids.

My friend says you can tell the desperate ones simply by the haunted look in their eyes plus that they are usually thin.
Bang on,
The one of the biggest increases in food bank usage around here has been among those who are working in very low paid jobs. Issues arise with 5 week months (longer to stretch the funds between paydays) and people that have had to take time of work due to sickness (often of their children) and miss a few days pay. Among the elderly there are issues when a partner dies and bank accounts are frozen leaving them unable to access funds.

Local foodbanks will only issue a package with a chit from social services or other organisations and these are limited to 3 per month.

The latest manifestation of this is an appeal for soap, shower gel, deodorant etc for those “living in poverty”
I struggle like **** with this, there are probably people who need some help due to factors beyond their control, but I can’t shake off the image of some big fat bastard covered in expensive body art, ciggy in his mouth, food bank pie in one hand and an iPhone X in the other while he gawps at his BFO flat screen tv, all the while sniggering at the folly of the good hearted mugs who fell for his shit
Things like this are why this country's going to the dogs.

You make up a stereotype in your own head based on little more than 'well, some are bound to be like that, innay?' and decide what should and shouldn't be allowed based on a figment of your own imagination.

You should be sterilised for the public good. If you've already bred, your offspring should be taken off you, sterilised and put to digging ditches. Sensible policies for a happier Britain.

Bang on,
The one of the biggest increases in food bank usage around here has been among those who are working in very low paid jobs. Issues arise with 5 week months (longer to stretch the funds between paydays) and people that have had to take time of work due to sickness (often of their children) and miss a few days pay. Among the elderly there are issues when a partner dies and bank accounts are frozen leaving them unable to access funds.

Local foodbanks will only issue a package with a chit from social services or other organisations and these are limited to 3 per month.
Three per month is good.
Any of the clients I've taken only get six visits per six month period, maybe it's the area I worked in.

At the end of the day food banks cost the tax payer absolutely zero, and I'm very aware this is ARRSE where most of us either are or were in a job we volunteered to do and was/is a 100% drain on the UK tax payer :)

Only asked as you said YOU had seen it.
Don't worry about posting a newspaper article written by someone else. :)
I hadn't seen the soldiers because it was in Salisbury. I have seen fat cnuts (and the town alkies). One fat **** lived 3 door down from me (her soldier husband left her), oddly enough the chubbster could afford dominoes pizza quite regularly.

I have no doubt there are some genuine cases but most are there because of their own lifestyle choices, when I go to court (as an assistant officer) you can spot the same type of person who would a genuine case in a food bank because they look smart but totally out of their depth, surrounded by the dross of society who see it as a way of life.

Last edited:
At the end of the day food banks cost the tax payer absolutely zero
It does encourage lazy shit cnuts to continue to be lazy shit cnuts as well as throbbers from the Trussell Trust campaigning for higher benefits.

Last edited:
I very much doubt it unless those entitled to Motability can afford to pay a high advance payment:

Car Search | Motability Scheme
Although for nil advance payment and no cost to you, you can have a Hyundai Tuscon, Jeep Renegade, Mazda CX3, Nissan Qashqai.... and if you want to pay a few hundred (the arrears you'll get for the backdating of your claim back to the claim date will cover that easily) then the choices get much better.

Your example of a BFO Merc van is most likely for a seriously wheelchair bound person. All too many cars are out there being driven by people who have astonishingly 'severe' mental health conditions.

I'll stop there before I go into a rant...