When benefits and food banks just ain’t enough

I work with a group of rather earnest, well meaning and occasionally virtue signalling people who like to run very public displays of help for those less fortunate

The latest manifestation of this is an appeal for soap, shower gel, deodorant etc for those “living in poverty”
I struggle like **** with this, there are probably people who need some help due to factors beyond their control, but I can’t shake off the image of some big fat bastard covered in expensive body art, ciggy in his mouth, food bank pie in one hand and an iPhone X in the other while he gawps at his BFO flat screen tv, all the while sniggering at the folly of the good hearted mugs who fell for his shit

Oh, there was an announcement that they don’t need any more feminine hygiene products, they are overstocked with them already thanks very much

I googled the price.......******* 5 pence each

What the **** is going on?

As an example my missus has endometriosis and gets through about £200 worth of tampax a month, anyone on the poverty line would struggle with that

An edge case admittedly, but they're the ones who usually suffer

Im not sure what your point is as food banks already give out soaps and hygiene products so those able to use a food bank can already get those products.

If you want to look on the bright side, I can't say I ever saw the stereotypical person you described at a foodbank.

I had a very interesting conversation with a work colleague about this issue over the last few weeks. I will post some thoughts later when I get home.

I work with a group of rather earnest, well meaning and occasionally virtue signalling people who like to run very public displays of help for those less fortunate

The latest manifestation of this is an appeal for soap, shower gel, deodorant etc for those “living in poverty”
I struggle like **** with this, there are probably people who need some help due to factors beyond their control, but I can’t shake off the image of some big fat bastard covered in expensive body art, ciggy in his mouth, food bank pie in one hand and an iPhone X in the other while he gawps at his BFO flat screen tv, all the while sniggering at the folly of the good hearted mugs who fell for his shit

Oh, there was an announcement that they don’t need any more feminine hygiene products, they are overstocked with them already thanks very much

I googled the price.......******* 5 pence each

What the **** is going on?
All the *Torries fault ofcourse
* Everyones fault except for their own ofcourse. Poor my arrse they havent a clue what poverty is. I once for my sins worked for DWP ( Job centre plus **Social Fund) most I saw are nothing more than scroungers (yes the odd few really needed help,mostly those who had worked all their adult lives, you could tell those by their smart/clean apperance) who blamed absoultly everyone for their own failures and demanded everything for free and to have it now. Stunk to high heaven in their knockoffs, no money for food/toiletries/rent/bills etc becsuse their mobile bill was higher this month,and after paying sky/Virgin/NowTV/Amazon prime/ Netfliks. Fags booze nothing left for essential life things. I stayed 10 years then as soon as I could I binned it.
** Social Fund disbanded, you honestly could not guess how many £millions its budget was for my area only. That is where your hard earned income taxes went including my own income taxes
Soap £0.40 or less no bloody excuse whatsoever
Don't get me wrong poverty needs wiping out,we are not in a undevoloped country although some will claim we are..... NO WE ARE NOT

Im not sure what your point is as food banks already give out soaps and hygiene products so those able to use a food bank can already get those products.

If you want to look on the bright side, I can't say I ever saw the stereotypical person you described at a foodbank.
It was all fairly new BMWs, and Audi and some 4x4s outside the last one I saw.

Last edited:
Being sensible.... there are both sides to the coin.

There are undoubtedly those who abuse the food banks generosity. Doubtless some with iPhones and Sky.

But on the other hand, I know of several cases of genuine hardship (retired friend volunteers at a local foodbank) where parents (usually single mothers) have gone without meals to feed their kids.

My friend says you can tell the desperate ones simply by the haunted look in their eyes plus that they are usually thin.

Having been brought up in (relative) poverty I can't see how anyone can send their children to school hungry enough to warrant this:

Why school breakfast clubs are on the education frontline

Despite my dad being disabled and unable to work and my mum having to work in a local shop pricing goods for peanuts, we always went to school having had toast & jam, porridge or cereal. Free school lunch was a Godsend for them and we generally had meat or fish paste sarnies for tea.

I have. If you offer anything for free you will have lazy fat bastards taking the piss.
It wasn't long ago that there was a outrage story about squaddies using them. Clearly 18k a year minimum plus cheap housing isn't enough.

Being sensible.... there are both sides to the coin.

There are undoubtedly those who abuse the food banks generosity. Doubtless some with iPhones and Sky.

But on the other hand, I know of several cases of genuine hardship (retired friend volunteers at a local foodbank) where parents (usually single mothers) have gone without meals to feed their kids.

My friend says you can tell the desperate ones simply by the haunted look in their eyes plus that they are usually thin.

There is more to food banks than free groceries. Your retired friend should be congratulated for also being a listening ear, non judgemental friend and possible 'signpost' to further help or advice.

It's worth remembering that foodbanks are also used by those in/fleeing from abusive relationships or with addition issues.
A friendly voice and listening ear can mean as much to those custoners as the groceries imho.

As an example my missus has endometriosis and gets through about £200 worth of tampax a month, anyone on the poverty line would struggle with that

Couldn't somebody with similar problems, on benefits, get (free) prescriptions for sanitary needs?

I have. If you offer anything for free you will have lazy fat bastards taking the piss.
It wasn't long ago that there was a outrage story about squaddies using them. Clearly 18k a year minimum plus cheap housing isn't enough.
What foodbank did you see them at?
You will be aware that almost all people using a foodbank are either in receipt of certain benefits or have been issued a number of vouchers to attend a foodbank.
Who would have (as in which charity/organisation) issued the squaddies the vouchers?

£200 of Tampax per month? At Tesco prices that's 2105 tampons in 31 days. 67 tampons per day, every day?

Er, no. Not even with constant flooding 24/7 for 31 days which would put her in hospital and unable to conduct any sort of 'normal' life.

FYI and for the purposes of this thread, Tesco (for example) charge £1.90 for a box of 20 Tampax from regular to super plus absorbancy. One or two boxes is plenty for most women, even with some uterine treachery.

What foodbank did you see them at?
You will be aware that almost all people using a foodbank are either in receipt of certain benefits or have been issued a number of vouchers to attend a foodbank.
Who would have (as in which charity/organisation) issued the squaddies the vouchers?
I'll post the newpaper link when I'm on a PC.