When ARE we subject to Military Discipline?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Never noticed that. Just tried and couldn't make it reject 'are'.

Yokel

LE
Obviously when having signed a paysheet.

But what about when we haven't? When going about life in general?

I hear that we are ALWAYS subject to it, but that doesn't sound right, if we aren't getting paid.

Whats the score?

See JSP 830

I am subject to police regs when off duty and not being paid. A full time job I know but if it helps you feel better feel free.

Wets.

Such as? What police regs are you subject to that aren't just called 'laws'?

A reservist undertaking service under any of paragraph 11a – c and e above will be
subject to Service law during the whole period of that service whether they is travelling,
physically working, resting or off duty. This is different in respect of duties undertaken under paragraph 11d above (this is likely to be most relevant to members of volunteer reserve forces attending short periods of training or duty).Broadly speaking, such a person will be subject to Service law while they are with their reserve force. So, for example, where they attends an 8 hour training period on a Saturday they will be subject to Service law during the time of the training period only and not when they is driving to the period or returning home from it. Staff legal advice should be obtained if there is any doubt as to whether a reservist was subject
to Service law at the time they committed the alleged offence.

Sounds like an Afro-Caribbean (not sure of the politically-correct term for "black") influence to me. No racial slight intended, just an observation.

I'm not even allowed to say I don't like my job anymore.

It's fascism. But without the death camps

It's fascism. But without the death camps

They've shut Deepcut?

Anyway, this was a change in the Armed Forces Act 2006 which removed the previous "TA officers all the time" provision that was in the Army Act 1955.

That the admin / AGAI side still applies illustrates the difference between employment law and criminal law - your employer, whether it is the MoD or not - are entitled to take disciplinary action against you for things you do off their time as well as what you do on time. There is no fundamental difference for part-time or casual as opposed to full time staff, although individual organisations policies may make some sort of differentiation.

Such as? What police regs are you subject to that aren't just called 'laws'?

Well, where I can go, who I can associate with, what I can say, how much alcohol I can consume, being recalled to duty, getting into debt, political party membership.

Just a few I can think of off the top of my head.

Wets.

X59

LE
Really useful - thanks.

It seems that 1-3-5 ( basically, when on duty / getting paid) is at odds with AGAI 69. Logical, really; I struggle to see how a non-Commissioned Reservist can be subject to Service Discipline if not getting paid / undertaking Military duties ( to include C1 ).

There's good reason it's called AGAI 69.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sounds like an Afro-Caribbean (not sure of the politically-correct term for "black") influence to me. No racial slight intended, just an observation.

See my post #18 above. I suppose its political correctness - using gender neutral plurals rather than gender specific singulars - but to then use singular auxiliary verbs does make it appear to be very uneducated and read very poorly.

Well, where I can go, who I can associate with, what I can say, how much alcohol I can consume, being recalled to duty, getting into debt, political party membership.

Just a few I can think of off the top of my head.

Wets.

I was actually being more serious than I sounded. I'm interested to know what you can't do as a copper.

Disco Dave

Old-Salt
I was given to understand that the answer was 'at all times' if you were commissioned and when on duty for everyone else. Why? What have you done?

So does that mean a reserve soldier can call the CO a cnut if he hasn't signed the pay sheet?

What about going to Amsterdam and taking copious amounts of drugs, failing CDT and saying "I wasn't on the paysheet and in a country where it's allowed" when you get caught.

I doubt either would wash. So, in practical terms, reserves are probably subject to military law at all times. Whether the law will stand up to a legal challenge or not I don't know.

I was actually being more serious than I sounded. I'm interested to know what you can't do as a copper.

Essentially anything that brings the office of Constable into disrepute, anything that would affect your vetting or bring your integrity into question, joining a political party, anything that would render you unfit for your next duty, any act or omission in relation to any incident that you are involved in or witness off duty.

Again that is what I can think of at the moment.

Wets.

Disco Dave

Old-Salt
Essentially anything that brings the office of Constable into disrepute, anything that would affect your vetting or bring your integrity into question, joining a political party, anything that would render you unfit for your next duty, any act or omission in relation to any incident that you are involved in or witness off duty.

Again that is what I can think of at the moment.

Wets.

All sounds really restrictive if you've grown up in one of the less-affluent/more-criminal areas of your home town. It's bounds to put some limitations on your social life.

X59

LE
All sounds really restrictive if you've grown up in one of the less-affluent/more-criminal areas of your home town. It's bounds to put some limitations on your social life.

Coppers are so well liked in the shit areas of towns, that everybody would want to be your mate.

Disco Dave

Old-Salt
Coppers are so well liked in the shit areas of towns, that everybody would want to be your mate.

Everybody from the shitty part of town grew up with or went to school with a few people who are on the "don't befriend" list. At birthday parties and other such social occasions you're bound to at least shake hands with a few people from your past who are on the wrong side of the law.

X59

LE
Everybody from the shitty part of town grew up with or went to school with a few people who are on the "don't befriend" list. At birthday parties and other such social occasions you're bound to at least shake hands with a few people from your past who are on the wrong side of the law.

Coppers never, ever, have friends who aren't coppers.

The longer you do the more it seems like that, I joined late in life so make an effort to keep the old friends I have. Plus I didn't live in this area till I joined so I have no problems with wayward school mates.

I do see with the younger ones that they have issues with past mates who have transgressed and cannot afford to move out of the "troubled" areas.

Wets.

X59

LE
The longer you do the more it seems like that, I joined late in life so make an effort to keep the old friends I have. Plus I didn't live in this area till I joined so I have no problems with wayward school mates.

I do see with the younger ones that they have issues with past mates who have transgressed and cannot afford to move out of the "troubled" areas.

Wets.

I was only pulling the leg of any Dibble on here, but there you go.

Wets.

I'm sure it's not against the rules to be friendly with people who've broken the law. For starters, a disciplinary would have to prove that you somehow knew all about everyone you ever spoke to.

Exercise a bit of common, innit?

It works two ways though - pal of mine joined the police. Great lad, but he's a total bell end now, to be honest and I don't bother with him any more.

Edited to add -

In fairness, he's not a bell end copper, he's just a bell end. It may not be the police service that's done it to him. Perhaps bell-endery was his destiny and it's a coincidence.

Last edited: