When a .50 BMG Rifle Just isnt Enough...

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by JoeCivvie, Jun 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ya reckon it would fit into an ankle holster, ya never know when you'd need something like that in a sticky situation.

LLF

2. Try taking that on patrol...

3. If that's the back-up gun then what...

(I once bought a second-hand 4" Colt Python which came with an ankle holster. I tried it once, it was fine - if you had a pair of bell-bottoms to wear and didn't mind dragging one leg behind you).

4. Wot? No bay'net lug?

5. and it's legal here... :D

6. There is no such thing as overkill!

More seriously I saw in Cartridges of the World a few years back down 20mm cartridge necked down to 50cal. Propels a 750grn bullet at about 4000fps. I think a near miss alone would guaranteed clean out all the wax out of your ears.

AL1.
    An American shooting magazine once had a report about someone who had aquired a Finnish anti tank gun of WWII vintage, I cannot remember if it was 20mm or even 30mm. The piece was mounted on a sledge and was towed by reindeer. Apparently it played hell with Soviet tanks during the Finnish/Russian war in the late 30s.

7. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

So at what calibre does it stop being a rifle and start being an artillery piece?

8. I don't know, but the term long range sniper gets a new meaning. :D

9. Lahti 20mm? Was used to rob a bank in the US - the robbers used several rounds to blow a hole in the vault wall, IIRC.

10. 81mm mortar is considered a "Small Arm" for training purpose's. No idea what the smallest Arty calibre we use is.

11. I think the truth in advertising people might complain about their claim of "low recoil". As would the shoulders of anybody who actually fired it.

Never mind that completing the "Standing" and "Kneeling Unsupported" bits of the APWT would mean months in the gym ...

12. :lol:

I just know I'd get dicked with carrying it on patrol, but never be allowed to fire the fcuker.

13. This particular weapon was aquired by a law abiding citizen, who took it into the desert and proceeded to blow rocks to bits. The weapon or at least the ammo had a checkered history. The Russians had captured some of the weapons and made ammo for it, usual Russian "high tech" stuff. The Germans in turn captured some from the Russians and made ammo, of a significantly better quality, but not as good as the Finnish stuff.
    Apparently cocking the weapon involved cranking the working parts back via a rotating handle as they were powered by the kind of spring normally found on a truck suspension.

14. I suspect that the weight plus the monster muzzle brake might do a lot to tame it. Just don't stand anywhere along side when the gunner touches off a round.

Never mind standing and kneeling positions, how about pepper potting? :D