Wheezing after some runs?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by ExplosiveKiwi, Nov 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just interested whether this will see me removed from CIC/P-Coy?

Basically, I run a 9:25 currently (after the 3.5-mile warm-up), push-ups at 65 in 2 mins so far, sit-ups 73 in 2, pull-ups 10. Am a keen hiker and attend a weekly strength & conditioning class, i.e. have no fitness complaints.

Through from about late February to end of September, not a problem at all, I'll get out and smash trail runs no problems, but come winter, maybe 1 in 3 runs results in me wheezing noticeably (but not too heavily) for about an hour. No chest pain, no tightness, no breathing difficulty, just a bit of wheezing and the odd cough (complete with green golly!).

Haven't been treated for asthma since age of 3, haven't seen doctor about this yet (in case its a bar to entry) but have a family member works in medicine who says it bares little resemblance to exercise-induced-asthma.

Will it alone be a bar to entry or get me kicked off the course, if I'm unfortunate enough to get an autumn/winter selection? It wouldn't even be faintly noticeable if on a spring/summer selection. Would also have to think about it if I pass, letting mates down/being a danger an all that, but as I say - it doesn't slow me down at all or cause any irritation at all, it's literally the odd wheeze & cough.

Edit: It also hasn't hindered me from becoming PADI certified or going on physically demanding trips abroad.
  2. I often experience similar symptoms when running in the winter. I think perhaps the cold air causes some air passages to tighten slightly giving the whistly wheezing sound. Im fit (im a TA PTI) and have no history of asthma.

3. As long as it isnt affecting you physically, keep it to yourself. As long as you dont go 'man down' they shouldnt notice and wont affect your career.
  4. you'll be alright mate - i still froth at the mouth at the 1 mile point.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. OP. Out of curiosity, do you smoke?
  6. yeah, I get this when the temperature is low and I'm doing something a bit more higher heartrate than a steady state pace. I wouldn't call it wheezing, but definately feel it in my lungs. I wouldn't worry about it unless its actually affecting your performance.
  7. You sound like fit little chap to me. I think what Arrse onist says is right. In winter there is usually more moisture in the air and that can have an effect on the tubes. Get some menthol lozenges and after you have finished stick one in your gob and suck it. Any probs would have shown up in your diver training .I presume you had no trouble clearing your ears and that you had an x ray with a clear result. If so its seasonal inflammation and nothing to worry about. You have the sense to be concerned for all the right reasons but dont worry about it and keep it zipped unless it gets worse of course. It may be that cross country running or fell wlaking at a gentle pace would help. Whatever Good Luck, like your attitude

Wish I could raise a froth or even a dribble these days:)
  8. Below is my reply to the same thread from 2005....hope it helps!

"No need to worry. What you are describing is normal physiogy and physics (I am assuming there is no history of asthma etc).

The normal humidity in the lowest parts of the lung where exchange of O2 and CO2 take place is 100%. The air temp is 37 degrees - body temp. That means the air there will resemble a tropical rain forest. This is essential for both most efficient gas exchange and for normal lung mechanics. I will leave the detail there.

Humans are by development nose breathers during rest (ie. most of the time). The nose is an efficient humidifier and warmer. The water needed to humidify the incoming air comes from the cells lining the nose / pharynx / and air passages.

During exercise breathing shifts to mouth breathing (need more gas in and out per minute as more O2 needed / more CO2 produced and the resistance to flow of the nose is too great). What this means is that the nose is bypassed. So all humidification comes from pharynx / air passages. Obviously the level in the trachea (windpipe) or air passages at which full humidity occurs will vary. Mainly depends on 2 things:

1. How hydrated you are. If you are dehydrated there is relatively less water available in the cells lining the air passages available for humidification.

2. How humidified is the air you are breathing in already? The amount of water vapour a gas can can hold is related to the temperature of the gas. So hot gas holds more. Hence mist on the ground first thing in the morning disappears as the temp goes up...it evaporates into vapour held in the air. So your body will need to do more humidifing on a cold day as there is less water already in the air you are breathing.

The dry cough you experience is because the lining of your windpipe and throat is losing water to attempt to humidify the air you are breathing. Any phlegm production (usually occurs after exercise has finished) is because the mucus cells are working overdrive to re-line the passages with moisture.

So entirely normal.

You will see the same thing in divers using open circuit apparatus (ie. standard scuba gear) as the gas from the cylinder has zero humidity and you are entirely bypassing the nose. I always get a slight cough for a while after a long dive.

You also see the same thing in high altitude mountaineers (the so called 'Khumbu cough') again for the same reason....little humidity in the air you are breathing in.

What can you do?

(a) Don't worry its normal

(b) Stay hydrated...before and during exercise if possible. Stay off the pop the night before!

(c) Improve your CV fitness - you will be able to nose breath for longer.

(d) Face-masks as already described - although you may notice a slight decrease in exercise performance as there will be a slight increase in resistance to breathing in.

(e) Ask nicely if you can only do your PT on a sunny day a day or so after a heavy rain-fall :D

Hope this helps?

ps. am an Anaesthetist and ITU Doc so this is really my thing!"
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Spot on thats a great answer

Not so sure about the sunny days tho, that could result in cardiac arrest and Benny the Bin
  10. Well yes I agree......but then heat injury etc is an entirely different topic (still interesting though!) :)
  11. Take note of the anaesthetist they really are clever people. No social skills at all mind, pasty faced creatures that inhale vapours.
    I do miss drinking with them but oddly I can't recall who they were.
  12. Thats how we like it.....Rohypnol's for amateurs! :)
  13. Yes I remember a crusty faced one who slurped morphine from the kaolin and morphine. A long time ago though but he did drive his MG through reception and parked it outside theatre.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks for all this - never before posted a thread which has actually stuck to topic/avoided descending into hell.

RE smoking, the answer is no. In fact, I know a lot of people who smoke "socially" when out at the weekend but I can't actually stand the feeling of it going down the throat anyway so anything inhaled is a no-no.

Again, thanks for the advice - will make an effort to keep it low-key as much as possible and it's nice to know I'm not the only one! Was genuinely worried that it would be a bar to passing but can relax now and focus on the rest of selection.
  15. That old chestnut.