Wheezing after cold runs

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bradders_Mk.1, Oct 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering if anybody else has wheezing after a run in cold, dry weather, because I always seem to wheeze after running in cold, dry weather, but I know that I am perfectly fine in any other weather condition; Its just that the wheezing stays with me a few hours after running in cold, dry weather... may be a stupid question, but a question all the same. And I dont suppose there's anyway to stop it, or reduce it?? Because Ive got my RSC in November, I kow that the wheezing will affect my time, if we do the run in cold, dry weather.

2. Just explain to the happy Cpl that you don't want to run in the cold or before 10:00. The Cpl will agree and you can dance off into the sunset.
  3. Bradders, you're not alone in this, I wheeze/cough in cold weather, stops after about 20 mins of running and then once the second wind kicks in it's plain sailing. The body is like a diesel engine, it takes some warming, especially on a cold morning.

So long as you don't have a history or other indicators of an illness, I wouldn't worry about it. I cough, wheeze, knees grinding, etc, in common with most here.

Just remember to give it rock-all on your tests and ignore the noises and snot that you're producing.
  4. Providing you are not Asthmatic and have not been diagnosed or treated as such, do not mention it at RSC or they will bin you and you'll need to get a GP's letter. Important that you are honest medically but the RSC civvies are a bit jobsworth, I knew one guy got rejected cos of a wart on his thumb.... unbelievable these days!
  5. Just spark up a quick fag on the start line - run - finish - fire up another. Works for me. My lungs are in top order.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I used to get that as a brat in 81, staff would run you on a dry but freezin cold shornecliffe morning where the east wind stinks of garlic. It seemed to be lack of proper warm up, always left me flemmy in the chest for want of a better description. Got over it, I got to Bn, found a fablonned biff chit and retired gracefully to the bar!
  7. i did my dissertation on the effects of cold dry air on post exercise lung function. & i found that even those without any form of asthma or broncho-spasm still showed a decrement in lung function after exercise. As (b)goose_rider(b) mentioned there is a refractory period of around 10 -20 mins where you will find things ease up a little. The testing conditions i used where at -10 & 20% humidity so in relation to even our english winters was quite extreme. Your chest wall has a load of muscles working for you lungs so ide say streghthen them up with exercise & if you can be bothered those Powerbreathe things are pretty good-think there is another thread on them.
    hope that sheds some light on the matter for you!
  8. Thanks all for your advice, Im not asthmatic, and have no history of any other breathing disorder, just that I was wondering if it was only me; but obviously not, Ive heard that if you breathe in through your nose, it helps as the air is slightly warmed by the time it enters your throat (?). Is that a load of tosh, or is it worthy of a try?
  9. it is indeed true that if you breathe air through your nose it has then increased in both temp & humidity by the time it reaches the throat but more so in the lungs. Other ways to prevent it; is to run with a scarf or a specific warming face mask thingy ( u can get them from most out doorsy-shops) covering your mouth & nose, which creates another warming barrier for the cold air.
    Dont worry its not just you, the reason i looked into it was because i had the exact same thing.
  10. The russians are flowing over the plains, your section is all that stands between them and a communist Europe. You must run 3 miles to get a good defensive position.

Then you hear:

"Sir, I can't run without my face warmer".

Pride of the best armed forces in the world. :roll:
  11. I think you'd move pronto if the Russians were up your arrse... :)
    and since when has Russia become a single-party communist state again??

Edit: I know the British Army is undermanned, but really, is one section all they would be able to muster against an offensive by the whole Russian Army, who appear to be ''flooding over the plains'' LMAO :)
  12. Oh, and thanks for the further info spindarella
  13. Bradders

No need to worry. What you are describing is normal physiogy and physics (I am assuming there is no history of asthma etc).

The normal humidity in the lowest parts of the lung where exchange of O2 and CO2 take place is 100%. The air temp is 37 degrees - body temp. That means the air there will resemble a tropical rain forest. This is essential for both most efficient gas exchange and for normal lung mechanics. I will leave the detail there.

Humans are by development nose breathers during rest (ie. most of the time). The nose is an efficient humidifier and warmer. The water needed to humidify the incoming air comes from the cells lining the nose / pharynx / and air passages.

During exercise breathing shifts to mouth breathing (need more gas in and out per minute as more O2 needed / more CO2 produced and the resistance to flow of the nose is too great). What this means is that the nose is bypassed. So all humidification comes from pharynx / air passages. Obviously the level in the trachea (windpipe) or air passages at which full humidity occurs will vary. Mainly depends on 2 things:

1. How hydrated you are. If you are dehydrated there is relatively less water available in the cells lining the air passages available for humidification.

2. How humidified is the air you are breathing in already? The amount of water vapour a gas can can hold is related to the temperature of the gas. So hot gas holds more. Hence mist on the ground first thing in the morning disappears as the temp goes up...it evaporates into vapour held in the air. So your body will need to do more humidifing on a cold day as there is less water already in the air you are breathing.

The dry cough you experience is because the lining of your windpipe and throat is losing water to attempt to humidify the air you are breathing. Any phlegm production (usually occurs after exercise has finished) is because the mucus cells are working overdrive to re-line the passages with moisture.

So entirely normal.

You will see the same thing in divers using open circuit apparatus (ie. standard scuba gear) as the gas from the cylinder has zero humidity and you are entirely bypassing the nose. I always get a slight cough for a while after a long dive.

You also see the same thing in high altitude mountaineers (the so called 'Khumbu cough') again for the same reason....little humidity in the air you are breathing in.

What can you do?

(a) Don't worry its normal

(b) Stay hydrated...before and during exercise if possible. Stay off the pop the night before!

(c) Improve your CV fitness - you will be able to nose breath for longer.

(d) Face-masks as already described - although you may notice a slight decrease in exercise performance as there will be a slight increase in resistance to breathing in.

(e) Ask nicely if you can only do your PT on a sunny day a day or so after a heavy rain-fall :D

Hope this helps?

ps. am an Anaesthetist and ITU Doc so this is really my thing!
  14. Wow, only on Arrse would you ask a quick question and have it answer by experienced people and a doctor, LOL, thanks Newbie_Doc... thanks everyone...
  15. I also wheeze in cold weather and I passed RSC, got some perfectly healthy friends that do too..don't mention it to anyone and you'll be fine.