Wheel dilemma

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by BWsamwatt, Apr 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, I'm a bit of a car mong, so I figured it best to ask! I've got a set of 19" alloys sat in the garage doing **** all, one of the 18.5" tires on my car has got a bulge and due to the good old recession I'm too poor to get a new one. Can I stick the 19's on my car or is there going to be a problem?
  2. Would help if you put the profile of each tyre on for comparison also.
    e.g. if your car has 195/70/18 tyres on, but the alloys are 195/55/19 then from a diameter perspective they should be fine - just so long as they have the same fitment as the current wheels (number of stud holes and centre boss diameter).
  3. Roger, 235/40 zr 18 on the spares and 225/45 r 17 on the car.
  4. It's not just a matter of whether they'll fit. If they've got a larger diameter, your speedo will under-read and you'll start picking up speeding tickets with associated fines and penalty points...
  5. This is true, it's mainly to keep me mobile for a few days until cheap tires turn up and I can beg the cash for them.
  6. However, 235/40 zr 18 on the spares and 225/45 r 17 on the car... Will that work or am I eating in the cookhouse for the rest of the month?
  7. Get the alloys on ebay....that will get you some cash
  8. The width is slightly wider than what is on the car at the moment and the diameter will be about 15mm bigger, they should be fine as a stop gap, but do test thoroughly at slow speed on camp to ensure there is no rubbing on the front pair when turning as I said they are wider than what is fitted.
  9. Yes it will give you problems 1) It won't fit/seal. 2) Sharing different tyre sizes on the same axle is illegal/MOT failure.
  10. I think he's planning to swap tyred wheels for tyred wheels, all corners.

From a "is it physically possible?" point of view, he needs to check that he still has plenty of clearance at all angles of steering at all movements of suspension and that the bolt holes on the rims exactly match the bolt holes/studs on the hub.

From a legal point of view, he's on a non-starter. His speedo will be showing the wrong speed - underestimating is illegal - The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001, Schedule 3, Item 19, Requirement 2: "For all true speeds up to the design speed of the vehicle, the true speed shall not exceed the indicated speed." Add to that, he's modifying his vehicle so he should inform DVLA and his insurers - and both will probably say "NO!".
  11. It will be a full swap of 4 wheels for 4 wheels.
    Thanks for pointing out the speedo drama, I think I'll just rely on my G10 black taxis!
  12. Your speedo wont be that far out a couple of MPH at most. Watchout for tyre scrub or wheel arch fouling and you'll be reet!
  13. get down the nearest scrappy and get a set of part worn tyres - 'round this was you are looking at £20 a go including balancing. My neighbour went recently and managed to pick up several unused ones that had been spares tyres in crash damaged motors.
  14. Good plan batman. I'd imagine a good few Astra's have been written off!
  15. Toppers has the right idea, scrappies will have heaps of unused ex-spares.

Any driver with his head screwed on will tell you to avoid part-worn because you don't know how often the previous owner bounced them up kerbs. Having said that, who has any qualms about going to MT and signing out a wagon that you know for certain has been driven by several squaddies, none of whom will have treated it as if it were their own?

Getting back to the speedo issue. I've found an online tyre diameter calculator: TYRESAVE: Tyre Size Calculator According to the tyre sizes you've given, you could probably get away with your swap as the overall diameters aren't greatly different - but if you get pulled up or have a crash, you run the risk of fines and penalty points if someone considers that you've modified your car. A good starting point would be to contact your insurance company and ask them if changing the wheels would affect your policy. If you can, ask by e-mail so that you have documented proof of their reply.