Wheat Allergy

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by toffeeman, Mar 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alright Lads,

About 2 million jobs and a few visits to some of Merseyside Police's finest cells later, my mate has seen the light and decided to follow in his good friend Toffeeman's footsteps and join the British Army.

The thing is he's allergic to wheat and will eventually get cancer if he eats it.

Where does this leave him with regards to joining? Will he be rejected full stop or does it depend on what he wants to go in as? I think the main problem would probably lie with Ration Packs as i don't believe they come 'gluten free'.

Cheers in advance.

2. There was a thread on here a year or so ago about a serving soldier who was diagnosed as having Coeliac Disease and was asking advice about whether he would be taken off ops as a result. It might be worth searching out the thread and PMing the original poster so see what happened?

Does your friend have purely a wheat allergy or is it Coeliac Disease?

I don't know but would think having Coeliac Disease would prevent him joining up due to the difficulty in maintaining a gluten-free diet and the often associated other foods that cause issues for Coeliacs.

3. I've got no idea to be honest, i only know he can't eat Wheat or anything that contains Wheat, which is a bit of a bastard considering a large majority of foods and drinks contain it.

I'll have a look through the board for the thread, thanks.

4. Sadly I know all too well as I have Coeliac Disease :x

There is actually quite a big difference between a wheat allergy and Coeliac Disease. A wheat allergy is still a pain in arrse (pun intended) but is easier to manage than Coeliac Disease, so potentially it might make an important difference on recruitment for the services.

5. I'll have to find out then, he's thinking of going in as a chef so it's possible he'd be able to manage his diet and stay away from Wheat.

6. I have 3 kids with a rare genetic disorder that involves in some ways an allergy to Wheat (long and complicated)

I have an intolerance to Wheat and Dairy and am fine serving. There are some issues with rations, but they can be overcome. Is it an allergy or an intolerance, there is a marked diference. In the PAYD era it can be a lot easier to manage day to day, any RCWO types might be able to advise on ability to meet dietry needs in Trg establishments

There are people serving unrestricted with Coeliacs and also Crohns (one is a Maj and a real flyer). Good luck to your mate

PS : Can we have Yak back !!

7. From what you have said earlier, "gluten-free", "depression", "cancer", that sounds like Coeliac rather than a wheat-allergy.

Being a Chef would be a great way of managing the disease but I pity all the others he cooks for, as he wouldn't be able to sample a lot of the food he's cooking, especially if he also has problems with other foods, like dairy, eggs, corn, chicken, etc.

The tricky thing about Coeliac is, the results of accidentally eating gluten can vary considerably between different sufferers and also change in the same person over time, as well as new foods becoming a problem over time. The effects are a lot more than just GI troubles, they are unpleasant enough but the three-day "fuzzy-headiness" is probably more of a worry.

8. A very good WO friend of mine has a severe wheat allergy.

Didn't stop him joining, or serving with them.

9. This link might be of interest. However, it refers specifically to Officer Recruiting.
    http://www.army.mod.uk/linkedfiles/51bde/ta_selection/documentation/medical_conditions.doc

I'm not disputing what people have said above that there are currently serving with Coeliac disease, as up until recently Coeliac disease had been a very misunderstood and little know problem.

The prohibition on Coeliacs might just be for officers though. However, what with H&S and duty of care, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a bar for all new recruits.

I'll see if I can find more information as I have a personal interest in this as well.

10. Haha! You've had your chance I'm afraid Smoggy. It's funny i was speaking to a few Boro lads (or are you Pompey?) when we signed him and they were pissing themselves at the amount we'd payed for him...it's safe to say they won't be laughing much now, worth every penny.

Cheers for the replies up to now lads, he'll be glad to hear he's got a chance to get in. The recruiter told him not to mention it on his form and maybe get the Quack to keep it on the QT...i advised against that route as i'm sure the recruiter was joking. :wink:

The condition isn't severe in the short term i.e. He doesn't suffer from any immediate or Allergic reactions etc. It's just no good in the long term for obvious reasons....the tit used eat Weetabix for breakfast when he was younger FFS (always makes me laugh)! So i'm sure if he has small amounts by accident here or there it won't be a problem.

11. PS when searching for the above document, I also came across anecdotal information that Coeliac (Celiac) is a disqualifier for service in the US Army as well. But despite that there are gluten-free US MRE’s and Brit rat-packs available. These would be a godsend for civi Coeliacs, especially when travelling. Anyone know if they can be purchased commercially anywhere, either the Brit or Septic ones?

12. Good stuff mate, thanks for your help.

13. I would recommend a career choice change mate. Read the quote from PsyWar.Org below:

Well put Mr PsyWar.Org.

You cannot be a chef if you cannot test and adjust the recipes you are creating. Yes, you can get your mucker to test stuff that you are intolerant to, but you are then avoiding a part of the job that is highly pleasureable.....The tasting of good food.....

It would be akin to a mechanic who is allergic to oil or a sailor that gets sea sick.

Not written in stone mind, I know of chefs with food allergies who get on fine.

Hope this helps mate. If not I shall shuffle along.

Cheers N_W.

14. Sorry to keep banging on about this, but your mate might not get any obvious reactions when eating gluten at the moment but it really affects people in odds ways; the mental effects in particular are underrated. He might be affected more behaviourally than physically when eating gluten. You kind of implied at the start of this thread that your mate used to be a bit wayward. That really could of been caused by his diet.
    If that is the case, I wonder if he started to sort himself out at the same time he took his gluten-free diet more seriously?

Sadly it's common for Coeliacs who don't have severe physical symptoms to not take their gluten-free diet seriously and end up paying the price for it in the long run.