Whatsapp contacts list

I plan to load WhatsApp on my phone, but don't necessarily want everyone in my phone's contact list to be a WhatsApp contact.

My understanding is that downloading the app automatically adopts all of your normal contacts list and that you are visible to them...all of them. So I have three questions:

Once I load the app, does it notify everyone in my phone's contacts list, who has WhatsApp, that I now have WhatsApp?

Can I remove someone from a WhatsApp favourites list without deleting them from my phone?

Does WhatsApp have geotracking?

I have looked at loads of info sites for this, but cannot get clear answers to these questions.

Any help would be most welcome.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

I use it all the time, but have a separate handset for WhatsApp. Your privacy goes out of the window when you install it.

Saying that, it's been encrypted for the last week or so since the latest update. Or so it says thusly;

Screenshot_2016-04-15-17-04-00.png

It will sync all your contacts who have what's app but they aren't notified that you have it You can hide your profile picture, online status and current status to everyone. All your contacts who have what's app will know you have it. You can block certain people if you don't want them to know that you have it
I hope this makes sense

Crossface

Old-Salt
I can answer a couple of those questions.

Your favourites list: you can edit this to include whoever you like, if anyone. It won't delete them from your contacts, on whatsapp or on your phone.

Contacts: anyone who has your number will be able to see them in their list of contacts but they won't be notified, and as its a messaging app they'll only have the same ability to contact you via text messages as they had before. Except you'll have a bit more control, with the ability to mute or block contacts.

I hope all that makes sense. I can try and answer more questions but only from my own experience.

Thanks for the replies, which are very informative. I suppose it comes down to the issue that I have some contact numbers in my phone, who I would only like to have contact with at a time of my choosing. Some of them I don't even like and some others don't necessarily know I exist and I don't want them to.

What I take from your responses is that I can edit the list of favourites to those with whom I actually want WhatsApp contact, and in any case the messages are E2E encrypted, so not like FB posts.

Someone is certainly having an affair, but it isn't this one. No-one would want me.

I just don't like the idea of an all or nothing approach with regard to who I might want to talk to in WhatsApp. I have estate agents, doctors, lawyers, senior officers, distant family members, mechanics, plumbers and all kinds of people in my phone contacts. The idea that I have to accept all of them into my 'circle of trust', or no-one at all is a little disconcerting. Especially as my shooting club has a WhatsApp group and we are about to start using one in the department where I work.

The geotracking is a particularly unappealing idea.

Maybe I have just misunderstood how it works.

Crossface

Old-Salt
Someone is certainly having an affair, but it isn't this one. No-one would want me.

I just don't like the idea of an all or nothing approach with regard to who I might want to talk to in WhatsApp. I have estate agents, doctors, lawyers, senior officers, distant family members, mechanics, plumbers and all kinds of people in my phone contacts. The idea that I have to accept all of them into my 'circle of trust', or no-one at all is a little disconcerting. Especially as my shooting club has a WhatsApp group and we are about to start using one in the department where I work.

The geotracking is a particularly unappealing idea.

Maybe I have just misunderstood how it works.

Your contacts will only be able to see you if they have your number. So unless the doctors, lawyers etc. have you saved as a contact, they will not be able to message you.
But again, if they have your number they could text you anyway, Whatsapp is just another platform on which to do it.

I think that you may be thinking of Whatsapp more of a social network rather than a platform for sending messages. Your contact list will appear in Whatsapp, whether they have Whatsapp or not, so it's up to you who you send messages to.

Your contacts will only be able to see you if they have your number. So unless the doctors, lawyers etc. have you saved as a contact, they will not be able to message you.
But again, if they have your number they could text you anyway, Whatsapp is just another platform on which to do it.

I think that you may be thinking of Whatsapp more of a social network rather than a platform for sending messages. Your contact list will appear in Whatsapp, whether they have Whatsapp or not, so it's up to you who you send messages to.
Thanks for that explanation.

I'll try it and block anyone I don't want messages from.

Latest Threads