whats your religion

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ta_wannabe_sig, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Christian (CofE, Catholic, other)

2. Jewish

3. Hindu

0 vote(s)
  4. Sikh

0 vote(s)
  5. Islam

6. Pagan revival (Wicca)

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wanted to try and expand on the 'are you religious' thread and give a forum for Arrsers who actualy do follow a particular faith and to get a view of how the modern british army and soldiers deal and with issues like days of religious observance, prayer time and specific dietry requirements (every Arrsers favourit, the dreaded Veggie, is it really such a bad thing) has a specific faith ever been a hindrance to army life and career

Commence the wailing and nashing of teeth
  2. Wheres Atheist man ! :p
  3. Looks a little limited. :whew:
  4. I am a Bombay Methodist
  5. 2/10 Must try harder.

I'm Agnostic, no sign of Jedi either.
  6. What i forgot to add to th opening to this thread is some very wise words from another thread along the lines of the following but not verbatum
    'if you want to be in the army you've got to except the army way of things and give up some freedoms you have on civvie street' if this statement is true would that apply to religious faith and observance

I realise that buy opening this can of worms i run the risk of being an oxygen thief and being consinde to the Arrse hole

Can i go back and add Jedi as a choice or is it to late, can you Jedi go into a pub order a round and then with a wave of your hand tell the bar staff that you've paid for the drinks, or would stealing make you a Sith lord?

Are Jedi veggie?
  7. I take it that you are trying to tell us that serving personnel must adhere to some form of religious belief according to some guidelines laid down by the MoD - in which case you are talking from the depths of your bowels.

And what freedoms does one give up on by entering into a contract with the MoD? I am reminded of the fuckwit that once asked me if, as a serving soldier, I was allowed to vote!

On thread - bung me down for atheist.
  8. FFS how can there be a God with all the shite thats going on in this world
  9. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Teetering on the edge of a yawning chasm..
  10. How can you be expected to follow a religion who’s scriptures have as much to do with reality as the Beano!

Watching the programmes on Discovery Channel, they have virtually proved that most of that’s prorated in the Bible never actually happened.

Three examples:

The Jewish exodus from Egypt.
    The census that forced Joseph and Marry to Bethlehem.
    The Three Kings following the star.

Then again when you prove that a god exists there is no requirement for faith so no religion.

Me, I’m an atheist.
  11. Church of Wheelbarrow

Go were I'm pushed.
  12. The Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic but on the last census form I put Jedi. 8)

Edited to ask where the Agnostic and Atheist selections are on the poll.
  13. Superstitious Claptrap! We inhabit a small insignificant rock, orbiting a dim insignificant sun. This in turn occupies a small cluster called the Local Group, which is tucked away on an outer spiral arm of a dim galaxy, one of millions, inhabiting a small corner of space. If GOD made all this, where the hell did he get his model kit from? Religion is BOLLOCKS! It serves only one purpose. To divide the population to the point where we end up blowing the arrse off each other. Makes my pyss boil just thinking that people can be so bloody stupid as to beleive in this tosh.
  14. Aren't we an insignificant, small, blue/green planet on the outer edge of a spiral galaxy at the unfashionable end of the universe?

Thank you Douglas Adams! :p
  15. "What is bothering me incessantly is the question what Christianity really is, or indeed who Christ really is, for us today. The time when people could be told everything by means of words, whether theological or pious, is over, and so is the time of inwardness and conscience—and that means the time of religion in general. We are moving towards a completely religionless time; people as they are now simply cannot be religious anymore. Even those who honestly describe themselves as “religious” do not in the least act up to it, and so they presumably mean something quite different by “religious”…How this religionless Christianity looks, what form it takes, is something that I’m thinking about a great deal…"

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a German Christian pastor and writer, imprisoned and then murdered by the Nazies for his refusal to co-operate with their regime. He, like other leading 'thinkers', such as Soren Kierkegaard, separated Christianity from religious observance, and believed secularisation allowed people the freedom to get away from church hierarchy.

Jesus himself despised religion, and despises structured church life, from the TV-evangelists to the massive hierarchies; his whole mission was to destroy these power-structures.

I suspect there are many here who have equally rejected their mixed experiences of church life and recognise that it didn’t reflect their own desire to be connected to the message. I like the description of these people as Exiles; exiled from ‘solid’ church because of its contradictions, but still clinging onto the fact that Jesus’ message has profound meaning as it speaks into their existence. I’d class myself as an Exile, committed entirely to what Jesus stands for, but grossly dissatisfied with the way a radical and reformer like Jesus has had his mission and true meaning hijacked by the religious.