Whats Your Demographic?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Rocketeer, Apr 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. " They" are always out to categorize people by ' personality ' etc.. Horoscopes, the most obvious, but Chinese " Year of the.." supposedy imparts characteristics and other similar pigeon-holing goes on.. Well.. It seems you can be ' identified' by where you fit in gnerationally:
    So.. where do you stack up?

Generation Baby Boom: [ born prior to 1953 ]
    - traits: Generally workaholics. enjoy material comforts, are reactive and don't like to be told what to do, want acknowledgement for their efforts, are results-oriented and have the attitude that age is no barrier..

Generation Jones [ as in 'Keeping Up with '...- born between 1954 -65 ]
    - They mix idealism with cynicism, are very self-reliant, have a strong focus on finances and employment security.

Generation X: [ 1966 -77 ]
    - brutally honest, self-reliant, tend to work alone, value freedom and flexibility in the workplace, dislike restrictions or control, question rules.

Generation Y [ 1978 -87 ]
    - like working in groups, demand respect first and try to prove themselves later, passion for up-to-date technology, me-first attitude, ignores politics or authority as irrelevant to ' personal growth '. They tend to have more money and are ' persuadeable ' [ will buy what marketers flog as ' important ' ] not as fixed in their preferences as older people..

I imagine I'm a fossil on this board as I was one of the early Boomers [ 1949 ]...scary that I fit so well into the ' construct ' outlined for that group...

2. That's me! 8)

3. Ditto & seems appropriate that only this morning I was told I should volunteer for a course on 'tact & diplomacy'.

lancslad

4. I can see a vague smattering of me there!!

5. I have never seen myself as a Generation Xer before...

6. Sounds to me like we're a load of arrogant dickheeds. With no common sense, but at least we're flexible.

7. Ohh yes

8. Where'd you find that Rocket?
    " Generation Baby Boom" is usually recognised as covering approx 1946 to 1966.
    Since it began after soldiers returned from WW2, your example is only alloting it 7 or 8 years.

a "generation" usually covers 20 years, it's mostly only the more recent ones , X, Y etc that are claiming less coverage. (maybe that fits their demographic)

9. Me too - and so true

10. Generation X, yup thats me. Thankfully though, I have now almost got the hang of tact and diplomacy. Somedays I can go 2 to 3 hours without upsetting someone.

11. Generation Jones [ as in 'Keeping Up with '...- born between 1954 -65 ]
    - They mix idealism with cynicism, are very self-reliant, have a strong focus on finances and employment security.

Yep can see me in there somwhere

12. gen x - like it or lump it

13. I'm A Jones Generation and the cynicism works for me!

14. Fcuking Gen X, attitude or what :lol:

Normally one engages mouth before brain :oops:

15. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

MiB is Generate Jones through and through.

MiB never liked Generation X......he always preferred The Stranglers!